NET Rankings

Bills By 40

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The NET is just a random guy moving team magnets around on a large whiteboard.

The random guy moving the magnets on the whiteboard  is The Committee.

The NET is the tip sheet sold by a seedy guy outside the Track.

almaman likes this

9 minutes ago, Schasz said:

SLU has 10 games left (6 at home and 4 away). Anyone want to hazard a guess what the NET could be with a 10 game sweep? There are visits to Dayton, Richmond, and VCU that will be tough road wins. 

SLU has not swept Dayton since 2010 when it was Majerus vs Gregory and we had Kwam and future NBA player Willie Reed. SLU has not won in Dayton since 2014 when we had Jett and McCall. SLU has never won at VCU.

We have a better chance of winning the A10 tournament than running the table in the regular season.

Bizziken likes this

28 minutes ago, Schasz said:

SLU has 10 games left (6 at home and 4 away). Anyone want to hazard a guess what the NET could be with a 10 game sweep? There are visits to Dayton, Richmond, and VCU that will be tough road wins. 

I am no expert on the NET but it seems even if we win our NET can go up or down only a slot.  Not sure if a 10 game win streak would produce that big a of jump.  The NET just doesn't seem to make any sense to me how it functions.

Games affecting the Bills today:

1. #23 Providence 16-5 @ ‘Nova 10-10

2. Quinnipiac 15-5 @ Iona 13-7

3. SIU-C 17-5 @ Illinois State 8-14

4. Drake 16-6 @ Belmont 16-6

5. Memphis 16-5 @ Tulsa 5-14

Providence up 16-15 at the under 8.

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Most likely still not good enough for an at-large. Our best shot at an at-large (assuming your 10 game sweep happens) requires 3 things to happen: 1) we need to beat Rhode Island, Davidson, Duquesne, and the ‘Blers by large margins. Dayton’s 26 point win last night moved them up 6 spots 2) We need VCU and Dayton to win their remaining games (other than their 2 losses to SLU in this scenario) putting Dayton at 21-10 and VCU at 23-8 heading into A10 tourney. Last night’s VCU home loss to the Bonnies did not help. Any chance at an at-large will require us to lose to the strongest possible Dayton or VCU squad in the A10 championship; and 3) our non-conference opponents need to all finish strong. 

If our only chance to dance is an auto bid then give me the seed (1-4) that gives us the best possible matchups. 

5 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

As well as at VCU, we got the Belk Arena monkey off our backs, why not make it 3 for 3?

The Davidson win, to me, was huge psychologically. Huge confidence boost to the boys heading into Dayton Arena and Siegel. 

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Games affecting the Bills today:

1. #23 Providence 16-5 @ ‘Nova 10-10

2. Quinnipiac 15-5 @ Iona 13-7

3. SIU-C 17-5 @ Illinois State 8-14

4. Drake 16-6 @ Belmont 16-6

5. Memphis 16-5 @ Tulsa 5-14

Providence up 16-15 at the under 8.

1 down, 4 to go as Providence holds of ‘Nova 70-65. Not looking good for Iona so far. How did we get blown out by those chumps?

2 hours ago, Schasz said:

It would probably drop us 5 spots.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

1 down, 4 to go as Providence holds of ‘Nova 70-65. Not looking good for Iona so far. How did we get blown out by those chumps?

2 down, 3 to go as the Gaels storm back to take down Q’pac!! Drake up early by 13 on Belmont. SIU-C in a dogfight with Ill. State.

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Most likely still not good enough for an at-large. Our best shot at an at-large (assuming your 10 game sweep happens) requires 3 things to happen: 1) we need to beat Rhode Island, Davidson, Duquesne, and the ‘Blers by large margins. Dayton’s 26 point win last night moved them up 6 spots 2) We need VCU and Dayton to win their remaining games (other than their 2 losses to SLU in this scenario) putting Dayton at 21-10 and VCU at 23-8 heading into A10 tourney. Last night’s VCU home loss to the Bonnies did not help. Any chance at an at-large will require us to lose to the strongest possible Dayton or VCU squad in the A10 championship; and 3) our non-conference opponents need to all finish strong. 

If our only chance to dance is an auto bid then give me the seed (1-4) that gives us the best possible matchups. 

If we went to Brooklyn 26-5 and 17-1 in conference, and lose in the A-10 ship (finishing 28-6) there’s no way they keep us out 

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

If we went to Brooklyn 26-5 and 17-1 in conference, and lose in the A-10 ship (finishing 28-6) there’s no way they keep us out 

I would hope so. I think we’d enter the tournament at 25-6, 17-1 in conference and finish 27-7 if we lost in the A10 finals but I agree with you it would be hard to keep us out. My only concern is that the A10 is so weak this year and we’ve dug ourselves a hole with our current NET rankling, and there’s a strong possibility it doesn’t improve much even with that record. To make the decision easier on the committee (i.e. improve our net to bubble territory and pass the eye test) we need to blow some teams out, wins from our non-con opponents/losses from the teams ahead of us, and lose to either Dayton or VCU in the finals. I agree with others that A10 ends up with 2 teams. I hope we’re one of them. 

Curious what the lowest NET ranking to receive an at-large is. St. John’s received one (first 4) a few years back with a NET of 73. But the Big East also ranked as the 4th best conference by NET that year and the Red Storm had 10 Q1 and 2 wins.

Fraz likes this

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I would hope so. I think we’d enter the tournament at 25-6, 17-1 in conference and finish 27-7 if we lost in the A10 finals but I agree with you it would be hard to keep us out. My only concern is that the A10 is so weak this year there’s a strong possibility our NET doesn’t improve much even with that record. To make the decision easier on the committee (i.e. improve our net to bubble territory and pass the eye test) we need to blow some teams out, get help from our non-con opponents, and lose to either Dayton or VCU in the finals. I agree with others that A10 ends up with 2 teams. I hope we’re one of them. 

Curious what the lowest NET ranking to receive an at-large is. St. John’s received one (first 4) a few years back with a NET of 73. But the Big East also ranked as the 4th best conference by NET that year and the Red Storm had 10 Q1 and 2 wins that year. 

We got screwed by Wichita State making the tourney in 2021. We were 52nd in the NET and they were 70th, which is personally the lowest I remember getting in. Thanks for that one TV Ted. 

10 hours ago, Schasz said:

I imagine the NET would be around 35. Those 10 games include 4 against VCU and Dayton. I think SLU probably dances if they go 16-2, regardless of what happens in the A-10 championship. I think something like 14-4 realistic, and perhaps if they beat VCU/DU in the semifinal and lose to the other in the final it could merit a bid. Both of these scenarios are a real long shot for a team that's been so inconsistent. SLU needs to start blowing teams out; it's not easy living trying to eek out one possession games with 4 minutes left. 

Schasz likes this

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

We got screwed by Wichita State making the tourney in 2021. We were 52nd in the NET and they were 70th, which is personally the lowest I remember getting in. Thanks for that one TV Ted. 

In last year's Madness , Rutgers got in with a 77 NET...an at large bid. 

FWIW , I had Rutgers at 62...and the Bills at 57th.  I think most ranking services had the Bills about the same  ranking as Rutgers or better....Pomeroy ...Rut @ 77 ...The Bills @ 68...Sagarin...Rut@ 63 ...Bills @ 65.

Bottom line ...Don't spend too much time fretting over the NET.  In the end ...the are going to do what they want to do.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

In last year's Madness , Rutgers got in with a 77 NET...an at large bid. 

FWIW , I had Rutgers at 62...and the Bills at 57th.  I think most ranking services had the Bills about the same  ranking as Rutgers or better....Pomeroy ...Rut @ 77 ...The Bills @ 68...Sagarin...Rut@ 63 ...Bills @ 65.

Bottom line ...Don't spend too much time fretting over the NET.  In the end ...the are going to do what they want to do.

This is interesting in regards to coach ford imo