NET Rankings

Bills By 40

tripped and fell down the rabbit hole again..

What gets me about the NET, the timing of losses.  Dayton was the #1 team to miss out last year, and their NET schedule was nothing to boost about.  

Dayton -            Record 23-10,    Q1 3-2,    Q2 5-4,      Q3 6-1,      Q4 9-3

If we're lucky - Record 23-9,      Q1 1-5,     Q2 4-2,      Q3 10-1,      Q4 8-1

The Quad 4 should have been enough to completely take them out of consideration. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

tripped and fell down the rabbit hole again..

What gets me about the NET, the timing of losses.  Dayton was the #1 team to miss out last year, and their NET schedule was nothing to boost about.  

Dayton -            Record 23-10,    Q1 3-2,    Q2 5-4,      Q3 6-1,      Q4 9-3

If we're lucky - Record 23-9,      Q1 1-5,     Q2 4-2,      Q3 10-1,      Q4 8-1

The Quad 4 should have been enough to completely take them out of consideration. 

The eye test...if we go 15-3 in conference play they might not care about the resume as a whole. Momentum probably means something. 

4 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The eye test...if we go 15-3 in conference play they might not care about the resume as a whole. Momentum probably means something. 

I also think why Dayton was so close is because NCAA will do just about whatever they can 2 get 2 A10 bids. As long as the 2nd best A10 resume isn't horrific, they will at least try and get them in.

8 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

i would be willing to bet that if a major conference goes 1 game over 500 in conference play and we have less losses and more wins,  they will pick that Big 10 or Big 12 team over us.   

imo if we arent a top 40 NET team or if we dont win the conference tourney, we are likely out.   i am not sure if winning out in the conference even gets us close to a top 40 net.  probably not considering how bad the A-10 is ranked this year.  

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I also think why Dayton was so close is because NCAA will do just about whatever they can 2 get 2 A10 bids. As long as the 2nd best A10 resume isn't horrific, they will at least try and get them in.

Blue font? I would love for the NCAA to have the A10's back. I just don't see them bending over backwards to get a 2nd A10 in over a P6 program. What makes you think two A10 teams is something they like to see?

-one of the metrics the committee used to have was record in the last 10 games but my bet on why this was eliminated is that it hurt the P5/6 as those teams lost in their conf tourney and the end of their conf season wasn't robust compared to a team from the MVC or the like that went 9-1 losing in the conf tourney final

-of course all changes to tourney criteira are to benefit the P5/6

1 minute ago, Compton said:

Blue font? I would love for the NCAA to have the A10's back. I just don't see them bending over backwards to get a 2nd A10 in over a P6 program. What makes you think two A10 teams is something they like to see?

See my post above.  We thought our season died when we lost a Q4 game(sorta did), UD lose 3. They didn't have a great resume, other than finishing hot. If you ask me, 2 of the 3 big teams could all have similar resumes to UD last year, and finish strong while one gets the auto bid.  --- While UD last year had a decent Q1 bracket, the Q4 has to have offset that in some degree. 

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

See my post above.  We thought our season died when we lost a Q4 game(sorta did), UD lose 3. They didn't have a great resume, other than finishing hot. If you ask me, 2 of the 3 big teams could all have similar resumes to UD last year, and finish strong while one gets the auto bid.  --- While UD last year had a decent Q1 bracket, the Q4 has to have offset that in some degree. 

UD also had a win over Kansas. SLU has the only Q1 win in the conference this season and it’s nowhere near the same level.

8 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

UD also had a win over Kansas. SLU has the only Q1 win in the conference this season and it’s nowhere near the same level.

and also had 3 Q4 losses.. more or less the point is finish really strong and whatever seemed to happen early gets pushed under the rug.

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

Yes, but don't know if that is good or bad for the NET.  They might win all six, but still stay at the same spot.  Probably need them to beat a decent team or two.

only one of those it top 100. UCF is in the 50's

now you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves.   we beat vcu, dayton, davidson, richmond, then i will start watching the net for billiken at large purposes.   until then most of the games wont mean much with wins and losses will be really bad.  

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

now you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves.   we beat vcu, dayton, davidson, richmond, then i will start watching the net for billiken at large purposes.   until then most of the games wont mean much with wins and losses will be really bad.  

Of course that stuff has to happen too..

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

We just need wins in two buildings where we've literally never won before!

Westy03 likes this

As of today, the NET [aka BTM, (Power 5) Bid Transference Metric] transfers 3 NCAA At Large Bids to the Power 5.  The comparison is to the RPI, the prior metric used by the NCAA.  It would be interesting to do the same study comparing the current NET with the NET formula previously used, but I don't know if the prior NET is available.

Those bids come one each from the American, C-USA and A10.  

SLU metrics:  RPI 38, best in the A10 (which probably does SLU no good);  NET 86, #3 in the A10;  Sagarin 72, Massey 77, Team Rankings 79, ESPN BPI 70, Pomeroy 80, Haslametrics 89; average of those 8 metrics 75.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The ultimate goal at this point is to finish in the Top 4 and get that A10 Tourney Bye, and the higher, the better.