NET Rankings

Bills By 40

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

This ranking is so stupid until February, in which it still has its flaws. There are so many complete head scratchers right now. Also just very disappointing. 

I need to stop getting my hopes up for anything that is created by the NCAA.  The only thing they know how to run/organize is March Madness

doesnt really matter.   ncaa in process of blowing itself up with the NiL anyway.  soon D1 will only be 64 teams from the big 10, sec, big 12, and because of football the pac 12.   the rest will all be D1A

MB73 likes this

15 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

With such powerhouses as Brown and Yale...

Don’t forget they also have Columbia….

but, at this point, they are ahead of the A10. As I said earlier, I’m not sure there’s enough data to really say much at this point, but it does make for some weird looking things. MVC is also rated higher than the A10 at #12 

11 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Don’t forget they also have Columbia….

but, at this point, they are ahead of the A10. As I said earlier, I’m not sure there’s enough data to really say much at this point, but it does make for some weird looking things. MVC is also rated higher than the A10 at #12 

MVC can be good some years, but it should probably never be higher than the A10 if the A10 wants people to take it seriously.

Taking SLU as an example, having played 9 non-conference games with 4 more to go, SLU has played 69% of its non-conference schedule.  Thus, there is a large enough sample size for the NET to be released IMO.  It's like a warning sign, or a mid-term deficiency notice for the A10.  With over 2/3 of the non-conference schedules played, how is there going to be a big bump in that Conference NET?  A Conference NET of 14 for the A10 is unacceptable.  SLU didn't sign up for that in 2005.

Pomeroy (kenpom.com) appears to give a better metric at this point.  For example, per the NET, the Sun Belt would have 2 NCAA teams in #31 Southern Miss and #40 James Madison.  I am quite confident the #15 NET Sun Belt is not getting 2 NCAA teams.  Sam Houston of the new WAC has a NET of 7.  Is Sam Houston the new Colgate?  

SLU's Pomeroy ranking is 41, best in the A10;  its NET ranking is 56, also best in the A10.  The difference is 41 gives you a decent shot at an NCAA at large;  56 is the 3rd team out per the NET, in both cases assuming SLU doesn't win the A10 Tourney and snare the automatic bid.

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

doesnt really matter.   ncaa in process of blowing itself up with the NiL anyway.  soon D1 will only be 64 teams from the big 10, sec, big 12, and because of football the pac 12.   the rest will all be D1A

Per today's NET, the Power 5 would have 31 of the 68 NCAA bids.  Adding the Big East (4 NCAA bids) to make the Power 5 + 1 accounts for 35 of the 68 NCAA bids.  The Mountain West would have 5 bids, the American Athletic, the WCC and the surprising Sun Belt would each have 2.  22 conferences, including our A10, and the MVC, would be one bid (Juan Bid) leagues.

It may be time, past time, to simply merge the 32 team NIT into the NCAA Tourney, and drop the NIT.  My qualm is the Power 5 is going to keep the NIT as the D1-AA Tourney.  We don't want that.

The NET is a joke.  The game is rigged.  They change the name every few years to keep the sheep interested but the NCAAs are for the big money, big conference schools.  We are on the outside looking in.  The only way to crash the party is to dominate our league.  If we don't we belong where we are.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The NET is a joke.  The game is rigged.  They change the name every few years to keep the sheep interested but the NCAAs are for the big money, big conference schools.  We are on the outside looking in.  The only way to crash the party is to dominate our league.  If we don't we belong where we are.

I think you have a point.  We used to criticize the old RPI, but SLU's RPI (per cbssports.com) is #10, as in 10th best in the nation.  The RPI is still used for NCAA Soccer and NCAA Baseball.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

I think you have a point.  We used to criticize the old RPI, but SLU's RPI (per cbssports.com) is #10, as in 10th best in the nation.  The RPI is still used for NCAA Soccer and NCAA Baseball.

We are a few missed free throws away from being ranked about #15 in the country.  RPI might be onto something 

Based upon observing past metrics, it is my belief that SLU, as an individual team, can improve its NET, as well as its Pomeroy, Sagarin, RPI, et al. by winning a lot of games.  

I don't see how the A10's Conference NET can improve much with 2/3 of the non-conference season already played.

But we're more concerned about the former than the latter.

College basketball is structured more equitably than football.  There are 300+ teams with a chance to be national champion.

If we make free throws, we beat Auburn.
If the teams in the A10 had better records, our conference would be ranked higher and the chances of multiple bids would increase.

Any school in an automatic bid conference has the chance to get to the Final Four.

To quote Al Davis: ‘Just win, baby!’

It is silly to look at the NET this time of year.  It needs a full data set (read that as ...an entire season) to be relatively accurate (80-85%)  The Committee will then come in and "fix " the last 15-20%.  Neither Bills fans nor the Committee need The NET to tell  us that Hou , Purdue or Gonz will be Dancing. But ask the NET about the Bills chances  for an at large bid and it will tell you to see the Committee.  The problem is in March the NET will have the same answer.  We need to get a lock on a bid...if not you enter the Twilight Zone where the committee throws out teams in the 30s and 40s and adds teams in the 60s and 70s "to make things right"

Want to beat the NET...win a lot of games by big margins. I call it "the Colgate effect".  A few years ago, playing in the very weak Patriot League  , Colgate dominated the conference  ...not just beating the the other cupcakes but winning by large margins. Colgate would leave their best players in no matter how big the lead was. The NET loved them and ranked them 9th ITN....Trivia question ...What team does not belong in this top 10 list from a few years ago....Duke , Kan, Gonz  or Colgate.  Of course , have no fear , the Committee is here. And as they do , they fixed things and gave Colgate a 13th seed.

Bottom line...The NET is set up to give the NCAA cover to do what it wants to do. Once the Committee enters the deliberation room the NET is pitched aside.

Old guy likes this

Gonzaga became Gonzaga by dominating a mid-major conference year after year.  I don't think we can create enough talent differential to do that in the A10.  Dayton and VCU are recruiting at the same level that we are.  Dayton and VCU have had some horrible luck with injuries so far this year but that's sports.  Last year we experienced similar luck. 

Coach314 likes this

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Gonzaga became Gonzaga by dominating a mid-major conference year after year.  I don't think we can create enough talent differential to do that in the A10.  Dayton and VCU are recruiting at the same level that we are.  Dayton and VCU have had some horrible luck with injuries so far this year but that's sports.  Last year we experienced similar luck. 

-in part with the other being when they got to the Dance they usually advanced

6 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-in part with the other being when they got to the Dance they usually advanced

Gotta get to the dance before you do anything at the dance, fail to get to the dance and you can’t do anything. Gonzaga had plenty of years at first where they were just one and out, it took time to attract talent to make consistent deep runs

12 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-4 out of their first 10 as one and done is plenty when paired with an Elite 8 and 3 Sweet 16's? interesting

Any coach that takes a program to the NCAA tournament 10 times will make a couple of Sweet 16s and an Elite 8.  That's just a numbers game.  The hard part is making the tournament 10 times.  Those guys are Hall of Famers.

41 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The Tournament is all about the matchups.  I'd rather meet Auburn again at the dance than Maryland......

im not saying which i would rather rematch, however i will say that imo from my tv it appeared we had a horrible effort vs Maryland, so i am not sure we are actually as bad as we looked that day or Maryland was actually that good.   both games presented some real low points that i am sure come March we will regret.