GDT: vs SIUC

9 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-fouling a 3pt shooter is so crazy and we did it what, 4 times?

-JPerk, get healthy, we;re going to need you, at halftime he was on the baseline using some sort of band around his lower legs

-I hope that dunk flips the switch for Franco

-what an incredible block by Parker, wow, did he play in the 2nd half?

1. And the 4th foul on the three point shooter came so late, they said it was after the shot so only gave him 2 FTs. 

2. Perk has lost some of his explosiveness and can’t beat his defender off the dribble. He looked like the second coming of George “The Iceman” Gervin pre-injury and I think the reason for his charges yesterday was frustration in that he’s not yet able to take his man off the bounce. Remains to be seen if he can get it back.

3. Franco’s dunk was good but he hesitates when he tries to make a move to the hoop which gives defenders time to disrupt his shot. If he gets the shot off, he’s not shooting with confidence like he’s too worried about missing or making a mistake. His lack of post scoring is holding the team back and I’m not convinced it will get better.

4. That was an incredible block by Parker and, no, I don’t think he played in the second half.

Also, Fred and Pickett were terrific yesterday. If Perk continues to struggle, I can see them starting and using Perk as a sixth man the way he was used in ‘19-20. He might benefit from watching for a few minutes to see if it helps him get into the flow of the game better.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

1. And the 4th foul on the three point shooter came so late, they said it was after the shot so only gave him 2 FTs. 

2. Perk has lost some of his explosiveness and can’t beat his defender off the dribble. He looked like the second coming of George “The Iceman” Gervin pre-injury and I think the reason for his charges yesterday was frustration in that he’s not yet able to take his man off the bounce. Remains to be seen if he can get it back.

3. Franco’s dunk was good but he hesitates when he tries to make a move to the hoop which gives defenders time to disrupt his shot. If he gets the shot off, he’s not shooting with confidence like he’s too worried about missing or making a mistake. His lack of post scoring is holding the team back and I’m not convinced it will get better.

4. That was an incredible block by Parker and, no, I don’t think he played in the second half.

Also, Fred and Pickett were terrific yesterday. If Perk continues to struggle, I can see them starting and using Perk as a sixth man the way he was used in ‘19-20. He might benefit from watching for a few minutes to see if it helps him get into the flow of the game better.

Franco's slow start this year is almost a carbon copy of his start last year.  He ended the season as one of the top 5 bigs in the A10. 

We're already the best offensive team in the league, even with Perkins' and Okoro's early struggles.  Just ruminate on that for a moment.

almaman, Zink and Spoon-Balls like this

imo perkins just needs to continue rehabbing the knee.  he is not colse to 100% as a complete player yet.  decent spot up shooter and free throw man, but beyond that if fred is the better option play fred until perkins shows he is back to his 20-21 self.

SLU_Nick likes this

U can’t help but feel for Perk. Agree he has last that gliding ability to get to either the rim or the elbow for his midrange jumper. Time will tell. 
Our 3 pt % over the last 4 games is also a little concerning. Gibby can’t seem to shake his man and needs to set some screens to get him open looks. Very frustrating to see his shot going to waste. 
Our 3 pt D still sucks. This has to be addressed now, otherwise teams we should destroy will hang around if they’re allowed to pop wide open 3s. 

Zink and billikenbill like this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

U can’t help but feel for Perk. Agree he has last that gliding ability to get to either the rim or the elbow for his midrange jumper. Time will tell. 
Our 3 pt % over the last 4 games is also a little concerning. Gibby can’t seem to shake his man and needs to set some screens to get him open looks. Very frustrating to see his shot going to waste. 
Our 3 pt D still sucks. This has to be addressed now, otherwise teams we should destroy will hang around if they’re allowed to pop wide open 3s. 

Jimerson had 15 on 3/7 from deep. May want to adjust your expectations if that is considered letting his shot go to waste. 

RUBillsFan and Crewsorlose like this

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Gibson was awesome yesterday.

Is giving up 6-8 to Xavier Johnson is not ideal? Sure. Prior to Evansville he had one 3 point basket and then went 4-4 against the Aces. He wasn't even top 4 on SIU in 3pt shooting and his career 3pt shooting is not eye popping. The top 4 with a minimum avg of 15 min were Domask (1-4), Brown (1-3), Jones (1-4), Wonders (1-3). They all shot under their average.

slufanskip likes this

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo perkins just needs to continue rehabbing the knee.  he is not colse to 100% as a complete player yet.  decent spot up shooter and free throw man, but beyond that if fred is the better option play fred until perkins shows he is back to his 20-21 self.

He should be rehabbing on the side.  It’s my understanding he just needs the reps to get there.

It’s funny, for how abundantly clear it is that he’s not where he is as a player yet - he’s averaging almost 12 points and 2 rebounds while shooting 40/34/80.  There are a ton of D1 players who would kill for this.

1 hour ago, shempie said:

The box score shows GJ played 40 minutes yesterday. Not sure why, but I find that interesting. 

I would take it as he was probably the most consistent player offensive and defensively not named Pickett. I didn't notice him lose his man and he wasn't ever guarding Johnson so he did his job as far as the shooting numbers go.

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

Look at how much we are scoring with Gibby getting open.  Even though he’s not shaking his man he’s pulling him away from the basket.  Lots of those easy layups are because Gibby has to be guarded so tight.  But you’re right they need some better screen packages to open him up more.