RIP Coach Majerus

shempie

I remember almost driving off the road when a sports update came over the radio that SLU had hired Rick Majerus. I thought, is this a joke? Is it April Fool's Day? We're getting Rick Majerus to coach the Billikens?? I must say I was happily stunned at the news.

Rest in Peace, Coach.

JMM28 likes this

3 hours ago, shempie said:

Coach Majerus passed away 10 years ago today. Thought you might enjoy reading (or re-reading this). For those of you who are new to SLU basketball and didn't get to see his SLU teams play, they were a thing of beauty where the whole really did exceed the sum of the parts. One of my favorite SLU games ever was the Memphis NCAA game where his game plan was perfect.

A tribute to my friend and former boss - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN

I remember the Washington game.  They had no idea what hit them.  I think it was like 50-25 at half.  Man I wish Cronklin was here to set a back screen for Yuri.  Good times for sure.

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

I remember the Washington game.  They had no idea what hit them.  I think it was like 50-25 at half.  Man I wish Cronklin was here to set a back screen for Yuri.  Good times for sure.

thanks for giving me a reason to post the video! 

JMM28 likes this

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

thanks for giving me a reason to post the video! 

My all-time favorite highlight and probably my favorite game. Indeed, Washington had no idea what him them. As I recall the game was at an unusual time -- a Saturday morning at either 10 or 11am. National TV. The basketball world noticed. RIP, Rick M.

I feel Rick’s greatest achievement was that even after his passing his guys still played like he was on the sidelines for their last 2 seasons without him. They basically coached themselves. That’s a true testament to what a great teacher of the game he was. Watching his teams perform was a pure pleasure. 

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I feel Rick’s greatest achievement was that even after his passing his guys still played like he was on the sidelines for their last 2 seasons without him. They basically coached themselves. That’s a true testament to what a great teacher of the game he was. Watching his teams perform was a pure pleasure. 

I remember half-time quotes by Romer when we played Washington at home and Pastner when we played Memphis in the NCAAs:

Romer: "They played the most perfect half I've ever seen".

Pastner: "We dribble down the court, nothing! Saint Louis defense is inpregnable"

Those players (Mitchell, Loe, Conklin, Jordair, Evans, McCall Jr, Conklin, etc..) were cerebral.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:01 PM, shempie said:

Coach Majerus passed away 10 years ago today. Thought you might enjoy reading (or re-reading this). For those of you who are new to SLU basketball and didn't get to see his SLU teams play, they were a thing of beauty where the whole really did exceed the sum of the parts. One of my favorite SLU games ever was the Memphis NCAA game where his game plan was perfect.

A tribute to my friend and former boss - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN

I miss the big guy. My dad dad a year before Majerus and Rick reminded me a lot of my dad for a variety of reasons.  Hit me especially hard when he died. RIP. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Nice crew of former players and staff on hand to honor Coach Majerus

Since Adam Knollmeyer wish one of the former players in the photo I’m legally obligated to also post this:

He did play for Majerus but kinda odd that a guy who was told to leave came back. Maybe I'm wrong but Majerus treated the new Soderberg holdout recruits pretty poorly.

Still huge missed opportunity by not pushing a trash can in front of Knollmeyer while he was walking up to shake hands.

billiken_roy likes this