GDT: vs Tennessee State

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game, it was not a great game for us but we won by 17 pts, 1 pt below the Wiz's model estimate and 3 pts below the spread. I just looked at the box scores and had to think about them. Our scoring in all categories was better than theirs in all categories, we clearly outrebounded , and had a lot more assists than they did. It was a solid win and I am certain we could have made the additional 3 points and more if that had been the aim. What we did instead was to play Cisse, Hughes, and Thames towards the end of the game, which is fine. I think playing the freshmen is a good thing to do in games like this.

I want to emphasize that Yuri was not trying to show he is a scorer, which he is not. He did miss a lot of his field goal attempts. He did get one out of his 4 FG (25%) attempts and made both FTs he had. However, his 20 assists contributed a lot towards our win. Okoro played well and so did Jimerson, although Jimerson for some reason missed all his 3 pt attempts. 

A win is a win, this was a nice win, spread or not. Now, let's get ready for the Salukis.

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

I want to emphasize that Yuri was not trying to show he is a scorer, which he is not. He did miss a lot of his field goal attempts. He did get one out of his 4 FG (25%) attempts and made both FTs he had. However, his 20 assists contributed a lot towards our win. Okoro played well and so did Jimerson, although Jimerson for some reason missed all his 3 pt attempts. 

I think this is called burying the lede 

11 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Looking forward to Old guys thoughts

"Yuri had 20 assists but he could've had more points, and he did have one turnover. He could cut that down to zero. In the post-game presser he said he thought he could've had 25 or 26 assists...he shouldn't talk bad about his teammates missing shots like that. A good team leader would take responsibility and not publicly pass the blame on others. There were a number of possessions tonight where he didn't even get past half court on offense - lazy!"   

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I want to emphasize that Yuri was not trying to show he is a scorer, which he is not.

He is 3rd on the team in scoring and still shooting over 40%, even after averaging just 5.3PPG in the last three. 

I want to emphasize that you are a 🤡 

40 minutes ago, willie said:

She didn't call much. I thought that crew did a good job. 

Travis was not happy with a call she didn't make and one that he thought went the wrong way, both in the second half. I'll give her credit, she came and explained herself in both cases when there was a time-out. They seemed to part amicably.

On the refs in general, our section (me included) seemed to think they were "letting 'em play". I was surprised how little was called during scrums under the basket. I haven't looked at the box score, but there seemed to be fewer fouls called than in most games. If so, maybe that's a good thing.

rgbilliken likes this

1 minute ago, White Pelican said:

Travis was not happy with a call she didn't make and one that he thought went the wrong way, both in the second half. I'll give her credit, she came and explained herself in both cases when there was a time-out. They seemed to part amicably.

On the refs in general, our section (me included) seemed to think they were "letting 'em play". I was surprised how little was called during scrums under the basket. I haven't looked at the box score, but there seemed to be fewer fouls called than in most games. If so, maybe that's a good thing.

Yes he didn't like that call but his reaction was pretty calm for him. 

5 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Chivalry?  Maybe we should have more female refs.....

I've been unhappy with the quality of the refs ever since we left Conference USA. Yeah I know, a long long time ago. Eventually I learned how referees are hired and scheduled, and why we sank lower on the food chain in the A10. If the women can do better, bring 'em on!

-I thought it was a very physical game, lots of contact some of which was pretty hard

-I am not sure what is happening with pulling the bigs after one mistake, that does nothing but shake their confidence, causes them to play passively - what amount of this not playing up to standard is on the coach/coaches? are they coaching in a way the guys can understand? seems like this is a not as it continues and it needs some evaluation

-at one point Yuri had 20 assists on 30 field goals, that's crazy and will just cause our future opponents to try even harder on how to not let Yuri control the game, what our response will be is key

-what's a moving screen? I'm not sure I saw a solid screen by either team last night

-great to see JPerk hit those 3's and I really wanted that third one to also be a make

-let's have a return of Basketball Country and a blowout of the Salukis

Old guy likes this

23 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I've been unhappy with the quality of the refs ever since we left Conference USA. Yeah I know, a long long time ago. Eventually I learned how referees are hired and scheduled, and why we sank lower on the food chain in the A10. If the women can do better, bring 'em on!

Don’t let @RiseOfTheBillikens read this!  Conspiracy!!! 😅

The woman ref last night was not the first I have seen here and honestly I did not notice her during the game which is what a ref should be - not the story.  Last night she may have taken her lead from the other refs who seemed very reluctant to blow their whistle.  Very few fouls for a game played that physically.  One of the reasons we missed so many bunnies.  Both sides were getting mauled but we played a bit less physical then them.  I guess I can live with that as long as it is handled equally both ways

1 hour ago, willie said:

She didn't call much. I thought that crew did a good job. 

I thought they could have called a moving screen on most offensive possessions against TSU.  Number 10 was constantly moving.    I thought they pushed us around quite a bit.   Seemed like we got a little tougher in the second half.  

As soon as their number 20 came in the game I told my wife to watch him and Thatch.  That this was going to escalate.  The first thing he did was walk up and put two fists lightly into Thatches chest and say something.  Didn’t take long for it to escalate into a T.  I would have liked to have seen Fred more in the game.  

14 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I am not sure what is happening with pulling the bigs after one mistake, that does nothing but shake their confidence, causes them to play passively - what amount of this not playing up to standard is on the coach/coaches? are they coaching in a way the guys can understand? seems like this is a not as it continues and it needs some evaluation

-at one point Yuri had 20 assists on 30 field goals, that's crazy and will just cause our future opponents to try even harder on how to not let Yuri control the game, what our response will be is key

I could not agree more with  the first entry in the list. The second point is also correct, the message is clear to other teams, neutralize Yuri means neutralizing our team.

From my point of view this is poor coaching.