Midtown Madness: S3E15 Missed Free Throw Meltdown in Alabama, Tim Ream Shines on World Stage; WBB Faces Gauntlet at Gulf Coast Showcase

Podcast

Season 3 of the Midtown Madness Podcast is brought to you by Two Men and a Garden! That’s right they are fueling this podcast with not only delicious pickles, but salsas and most recently Harissa sauce. They are the real deal! Their products are delicious and more importantly local to St. Louis. You can pick up their many products at any local grocery stores or online where they ship nationwide!

💻https://twomenandagarden.com/

🐦https://twitter.com/2mensalsa

📸https://www.instagram.com/2mensalsa

On This Episode

• Tim Ream has been nails on the US Soccer back line at the World Cup, Billiken fans should be watching with pride.
  • Men’s Basketball
  • What is there to say about Paul Quinn?
    • Auburn Review - Did missed free throws cost Billikens a quad 1 road win
    • Tennessee State Preview
    • SIU Carbondale Preview
      • Peter will be in town!
    • Billiken Trivia!
    • Around the A10
      • What is happening in Ohio?
      • Is Davidson good?
  • Women’s Basketball
    • Gulf Coast Showcase Gauntlet
      • Baylor
      • Belmont
      • Air Force

🐦 https://twitter.com/MidtownMadPod

📸https://www.instagram.com/midtownmadpod/

View the full article

Pistol likes this

3 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Iceland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Greece, Canada, France all come to mind but I will be darned if I can recall the others. How many years back is the first foreign player?

I'd have to confirm who the first-ever foreign player was but the longest gap between an individual country producing a player for SLU and today is 30 years. Every other country is represented at least once post-2000.

H Waldman is from Vegas. He is Jewish, just not from Israel.

Izik is indeed from Israel. I had an Israeli roommate for my last semester and Izik would come over and hang out with him. They'd speak almost exclusively in Hebrew.

Agbeko did not move to Buffalo until he was about 15. He went to HS there for a couple years and finished up at South Kent School in Connecticut. His country of origin is on our list.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd have to confirm who the first-ever foreign player was but the longest gap between an individual country producing a player for SLU and today is 30 years. Every other country is represented at least once post-2000.

I thought we had one in the 80s. I think we had a couple walk on types at least one with Spoon. I think Latimer was the first foreigner to play real minutes.

56 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I thought we had one in the 80s. I think we had a couple walk on types at least one with Spoon. I think Latimer was the first foreigner to play real minutes.

Paul Nondas.  Lost him to mandatory military service.  As Spoon said, "I always figured I'd lose a player to the draft.  I just didn't know it would be the Greek army."

Pistol and billikenfan05 like this

49 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Paul Nondas.  Lost him to mandatory military service.  As Spoon said, "I always figured I'd lose a player to the draft.  I just didn't know it would be the Greek army."

Did Ian have to do mandatory military service? I know he went back to Greece after SLU to play professionally but I don't know if he was a reservist or they changed the conscription laws in the time after Nondas.

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

Did Ian have to do mandatory military service? I know he went back to Greece after SLU to play professionally but I don't know if he was a reservist or they changed the conscription laws in the time after Nondas.

I don't think he did, but don't quote me on that.

Paul Nondas is not in the Billikens All time roster.  He did play in at least a few games.

He was supposed to be good.  6'9 and could shoot the three.  Never was ready to play.  He went on that Hawaii opener trip where Johnson torched LSU for 30 points and then we lost to Hawaii.  While the team was gone Harris & Macauley's room was burglarized and their NCAA tournament rings were stolen.

Apparently you could get a waiver from the Greek Army if you went to school.  Greece didn't accept Nondas' time at JUCO as advancing his education.  He was labeled a deserter and wasn't able to come back to the country unless he went into the military so he went back after his JR year here.

Nondas was Bernie's favorite player to rip.  He mentioned him in columns multiple times as an example of poor recruiting by Spoon.  Easy target as he wa a foreigner I guess.