GDT: vs Auburn

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it just occurred to me that my opinion of "playing fast" isnt the same as say big bill fan.    big bill fan considers getting in the half court offense but then shooting an open three as playing fast.   

i want us to get it down the floor asap and if there is an advantage go to the basket.   not casually get down the floor, and then setting up the half court and start the action.   i want to push it, try to beat the opponent to the front court and then let the guards decide if we have the advantage to go to the basket or then pull it out.   

we do not do this and we definitely didnt do it down the stretch vs memphis. 

you guys keep telling us that we have the best point guard in the nation and i concur he is very good.   he can accurately decide if we have the advantage.   but he doesnt seem to do that at the end.   he stops and sets up the half court offense.   and more times than not it is he who then takes the shot.  

You need to review the Memphis game, we had the game won and nearly gave the game away with 3 or 4 quick shots taken in the last few minutes. It’s not a matter of one or the other. I want a fast pace running game as well, but when the game is secured, you can’t risk giving it away with unnecessary shots. 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I am with you there Roy, and in my opinion Yuri is acting to favor/promote Yuri not necessarily the team. I believe (and I may be wrong)  that during his NBA evaluation last spring he was told he needed to improve his shooting. I will leave it there. I do not like to have Yuri control the team's play to the degree that without him the team does not function well.                                                                                                                                                    

And on today's episode of "Old Guy making an @$$ of himself" 

29 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You need to review the Memphis game, we had the game won and nearly gave the game away with 3 or 4 quick shots taken in the last few minutes. It’s not a matter of one or the other. I want a fast pace running game as well, but when the game is secured, you can’t risk giving it away with unnecessary shots. 

You're right about this one. There's a middle ground, a sweet spot, and sometimes that's hard to find. Especially if shots just aren't falling. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it just occurred to me that my opinion of "playing fast" isnt the same as say big bill fan.    big bill fan considers getting in the half court offense but then shooting an open three as playing fast.   

i want us to get it down the floor asap and if there is an advantage go to the basket.   not casually get down the floor, and then setting up the half court and start the action.   i want to push it, try to beat the opponent to the front court and then let the guards decide if we have the advantage to go to the basket or then pull it out.   

you guys keep telling us that we have the best point guard in the nation and i concur he is very good.   he can accurately decide if we have the advantage.   but he doesnt seem to do that at the end.   he stops and sets up the half court offense.   and more times than not it is he who then takes the shot.  

The problem with what you are saying is that we weren't, for the most part, grabbing rebounds of missed shots.  When its late in game and the other team is coming back on you, it is because they are making their shots or making free throws.  This means that there is not an opportunity to grab a rebound and streak down the floor.  If you are inbounding the ball, and you are under pressure, you have to take special care to make sure you don't turn it over.  If you do it the right way, the way Majerus taught it as well, you slowly work the ball into the other team's end without turning it over.  Running for the sake of running is the last thing you want to do when being pressured in your end late in the game, especially when you are inbounding the ball after the other team makes a shot.

3star_recruit likes this

17 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Let’s not forget these men can now get paid mega $$$ and should not be immune from criticism. They collectively sucked a$$ at the free throw line today. Also Ford’s teams have chronically underperformed in big games. Both can be true

This. Can't have it both ways.

Also, is Ford our winningest coach yet? When will he get that, this year? I am amazed at what people expect. You would think that there would be more appreciation for year-in, year-out winning. No horrible rebuilding year. Local recruits also, which is a fun plus. It is too bad that some people cannot mentally process that a dance ticket is literally 1-4 spots away from where Ford has placed this team since 2017. No other Billiken coach has even come close to this consistency. Majerus could have, but he didn’t.

NCAA Tournament and NIT ass kickings aren't good enough. Every coach in every sport at every level goes through adversity. Ford is no different. We should expect better results from the most overpaid coach in the Atlantic 10.

Bizziken likes this

8 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-yesterday reinforced for me how important Fred Thatch is to our team, stay healthy Fred and all

Absolutely. Doesn't change anything in the Maryland game, probably makes providence feel a little more in hand than it was. This team is built to dominate non p5 teams + A10.  Its funny because while I'm a little less confident in this team based on the last 2 weeks, I'm more confident in winning the A10 than I was 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, BC1764 said:

NCAA Tournament and NIT ass kickings aren't good enough. Every coach in every sport at every level goes through adversity. Ford is no different. We should expect better results from the most overpaid coach in the Atlantic 10.

You may be correct, however Ford should not badmouth some of his players when he drops an important game. He is the coach and that makes him responsible.

32 minutes ago, Old guy said:

You may be correct, however Ford should not badmouth some of his players when he drops an important game. He is the coach and that makes him responsible.

Are the players not also responsible? As D1 players to hit free throws? 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

I am with you there Roy, and in my opinion Yuri is acting to favor/promote Yuri not necessarily the team. I believe (and I may be wrong)  that during his NBA evaluation last spring he was told he needed to improve his shooting. I will leave it there. I do not like to have Yuri control the team's play to the degree that without him the team does not function well.                                                                                                                                                    

db9.jpg

Bills By 40 likes this

I got zero problem with Coach saying he wasn't happy with his Bigs.  He didn't throw them under the bus.  What was he supposed to say? 

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

So you’re saying he does decide if we have the advantage, you just disagree with his decision. 

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So you’re saying he does decide if we have the advantage, you just disagree with his decision. 

no i am saying get the frickin ball over the half line.   do it as fast as possible  get out in front of the traps.   if we got a lead with under 4 minutes to go, the defense is going to be pressing full court.   dont waste the time methodically bringing it down.  go.   then if we do get past the first trap, we will have an advantage.   it is up to the point guard who hopefully has the ball to decide then to go or not.  but quit with the walking it down the court.  

7 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

exactly

Looking at Coach Travis Ford's record at SLU vs P5 (including UH and BYU), our #1 rival UD, VCU, and other select tournament games:

22-23

Memphis W

Maryland L

Prov W

AU L

21-22

Memphis L

BC W

AU L

UD L

UD W

VCU W

A10 Semi vs Davidson L

NIT UNI L

20-21

LSU W

NCState W

MINNL

UD L

UD L

VCU L

A10 2nd Round SBU L

NIT Miss St. L

19-20

SHU L

BC W

AU L

KState W

UD L

UD L

VCU W

A10 CXL

18-19

SHU W

PITT L

Butler W

Oreg St W

UH L

FSU L

UD W

UD L

VCU L

A10 Champion

NCAA VTech L

17-18

VTech W 

Providence L

Butler L

UH L

Oreg St. L

VCU L

UD W

UD L

A10 2nd Round L

16-17

Bama L

BYU L

KState L

Wichita St L

SIU L

VCU L

UD L

UD L

Unofficial count in 30 P5 games record is 11-19

12 games vs UD, 3-9

6 games vs VCU 2-4

NIT 0-2

NCAA 0-1

1 A10 Championship

I don't recall any wins vs teams at the time they were ranked in the top 25.  

Nope, after Ford says what I suggested in PUBLIC, he takes the players back to the lockers and rips them apart in PRIVATE.  These are issues that should be taken care of in private, not in public. All Ford is doing is passing the blame to a player(s) in the broadcast to make himself look good for the public. This is a short term, a myopic advantage, he gains for himself at the expense of the players. The humiliation he causes among the players he chooses to put down in his broadcasts is likely to persist as resentment. Ford's public statement is a move that does not create additional team cohesion, it does not solve problems, on the contrary, it is likely to create cracks and to decrease team motivation.

This mode of behavior is, by itself, indicative that he is not a good coach. The kind of performance record shown by ABomb above also points in this direction.

31 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Nope, after Ford says what I suggested in PUBLIC, he takes the players back to the lockers and rips them apart in PRIVATE.  These are issues that should be taken care of in private, not in public. All Ford is doing is passing the blame to a player(s) in the broadcast to make himself look good for the public. This is a short term, a myopic advantage, he gains for himself at the expense of the players. The humiliation he causes among the players he chooses to put down in his broadcasts is likely to persist as resentment. Ford's public statement is a move that does not create additional team cohesion, it does not solve problems, on the contrary, it is likely to create cracks and to decrease team motivation.

This mode of behavior is, by itself, indicative that he is not a good coach. The kind of performance record shown by ABomb above also points in this direction.

Coaches should have a pulse on their teams psyche, when to push, when to give them room.  This is a veteran team, one that I believe understands what is at stake this year, what their roles are and I'm confident they are all VERY aware of what they didn't do at Auburn.  Travis didn't say anything the players didn't know and I'm sure that there have been many tough conversations in the locker room thus far this year.  Him giving a nudge publicly is just a tactic he believes will serve as a kick in the pants...he didn't burn anything down and didn't personally attack anyone.  These aren't 5th graders...they can handle it and should welcome the challenge.

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Then why even interview a coach? I want his real feelings not some canned BS, even if it’s harsh. Ford throws himself under the bus quite often also. 

rgbilliken likes this

56 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Look just admit if Coach Ford ran into a burning building to save puppies but only saved 4 of 5, you’d be complaining because he didn’t go back in for the 5th

Dlarry, you, as everyone else, is entitled to his/her own opinion. The truth comes at the end of the season when we see exactly how we performed and can compare the actual fact to the expectations each one had before the season started. I believe we all realize by now that we are not likely to get anywhere close to sweet 16 this season. Yes, it is true that Perkins is not yet capable to play at his prior level. Before the season started I kept on saying to wait to see what he is capable of doing this season. Now that we have actually seen him in action, we know that he is not currently at his prior level of performance.

And no, we are not talking about 5th graders. And I cannot believe that any adult among us enjoys being put down in public by his/her boss after a bad turn. Surely, we all handle it quietly. Resentment is almost universal in the workplace. Do you think this is a feeling that improves performance?

Sulfan, no one is talking about saving puppies, or distributing orange slices and ribbons. What I am talking is resentment, it is not public and it does affect performance. And, I do not recall Ford taking the blame for a bad loss in public.

If you wish to believe Ford is a great coach, please do so.

And, I do not recall Ford taking the blame for a bad loss in public.

You seem to not remember anything that goes against your ridiculous narrative, and when anything does go against it you spin it faster than a Tilt-A-Whirl. You're impossible.