GDT: vs Auburn

3 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

From the 9 minute mark to around 1:40 left in the game we had zero 3 point attempts.  This is the teams strength on offense and we decided to abandon it which I dont get.  Auburn was fouling which had something to do with it but this is a trend for the past 2 years.    

auburn had quite a lot todo with the lack of three point attempts, they forced the ball to be taken inside and the BILLIKENS MISSED THEIR FREE THROWS. that was the game in its entirety, cant fault game plan or ford or style of play , auburn is an outstanding team and will not lose many games

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Why an 81% FT Team suddenly goes blind is mystifying not to mention frustrating. But when up by 5 w/ 4 minutes left and suddenly take the air out of the ball is really maddening. 

Didn’t happen. Look at the Play by Play.  One 29 sec set and the rest were in the teens or lower. 

17 sec at 3:28, 19 sec, 29 sec, 17 sec, 15 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, and 4 sec,

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if it was a loss to Paul Quinn college then that might be crippling mentally.   but a last 2 minute loss to the #13 team in the country while it stings  to know they missed a hell of an opportunity to not only get some national mention and notice as well as earning post season points, it still is a "good" loss (if there is such a thing and hopefully Ford can use it to demonstrate how close they are and use it as motivation to build on.  

besides recruiting, imo Ford is an excellent motivator.   so he now has a good tool to use.

The #13 team on the road. I get we had a chance to win and probably should have as nothing Auburn did caused missed free throws. In the end though a 5 pt road loss to the 13th ranked team in the country will not hurt our resume at all. We showed we belong with that level of a team

Tonka likes this

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but they didnt look to get out and run either.   i.e. get a rebound and go.   instead they would get the defensive rebound and instead of getting it across the half line and seeing if there was a quick opportunity, they let everyone clear out and then casually brought it down.  

I understand your desire to run, but a couple of points, we weren’t filling the basket up, we were shooting at  40% rate. Secondly there comes a time in every game where you can’t give it up by taking a lot of unnecessary shots when the clock is your friend. This last game was ours if we hit even a minimal amount of ft’s in the last few minutes…the strategy was perfect unfortunately the execution wasn’t.

This game had nothing to do with slowing down pace.

4 minutes to go: we're up 58 -53....  Picket misses two free throws

3:28 to go: Still up 58-53... Okoro misses an uncontested layup

2:56 to go: Up 58-55..... Thatch misses two free throws.

That's ballgame. Three consecutive possessions to put 6 more points on the board. Even just 4 of those 6 points would have made  a huge difference. There was a chance to make it a 3 or even 4 possession game. That minute and 4 seconds is where the game was lost, IMO.

Couple observations.  I was there, really cool arena...reminded me a bit of Houston.  Not a full compliment of students yesterday, they filled the bleachers with standing room ticket holders but the environment really only got "hostile" a few times.  All in all I felt the team was able to respond and bounce back each time if felt like it could slip away...other than the 1 minute stretch that flipped the script.  We lost this game at the free throw line, end of story.  Pickett and Thatch going 0-2 late really killed us.  They make those (even 2-4) and the game script plays out differently and we could have afforded a mini-run against us.  Hard to argue with Gibson's shooting but he had two chances in the last minute, one that would have tied it and another that would have gotten it back to 64-63..wish he was a little more cold-blooded.  

Schasz likes this

18 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I understand your desire to run, but a couple of points, we weren’t filling the basket up, we were shooting at  40% rate. Secondly there comes a time in every game where you can’t give it up by taking a lot of unnecessary shots when the clock is your friend. This last game was ours if we hit even a minimal amount of ft’s in the last few minutes…the strategy was perfect unfortunately the execution wasn’t.

big bill fan, if we had a track record of consistently using the clock i would agree, we dont.   imo, we havent since rickma's team graduated actually. 

rgbilliken likes this

11 minutes ago, kappy96 said:

Couple observations.  I was there, really cool arena...reminded me a bit of Houston.  Not a full compliment of students yesterday, they filled the bleachers with standing room ticket holders but the environment really only got "hostile" a few times.  All in all I felt the team was able to respond and bounce back each time if felt like it could slip away...other than the 1 minute stretch that flipped the script.  We lost this game at the free throw line, end of story.  Pickett and Thatch going 0-2 late really killed us.  They make those (even 2-4) and the game script plays out differently and we could have afforded a mini-run against us.  Hard to argue with Gibson's shooting but he had two chances in the last minute, one that would have tied it and another that would have gotten it back to 64-63..wish he was a little more cold-blooded.  

Fan's alright?  they were horrible to talk with and be around last go around up here. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

big bill fan, if we had a track record of consistently using the clock i would agree, we dont.   imo, we havent since rickma's team graduated actually. 

The Memphis game was a perfect example of managing the clock in the last few minutes. We had the game under control and inexplicably took some quick 3’s when we didn’t need to. I would much rather lose a game because of missed ft’s than allowing a team to beat us when all we had to do is run the clock. 

23 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

The Memphis game was a perfect example of managing the clock in the last few minutes. We had the game under control and inexplicably took some quick 3’s when we didn’t need to. I would much rather lose a game because of missed ft’s than allowing a team to beat us when all we had to do is run the clock. 

I agree with you. It's not talked about, but we played way too fast with the lead late in that game and it nearly cost us.

36 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

what?   my memory was the end of the memphis game was complete turmoil.  (this said, the memphis game was very enjoyable to watch.  might not be saying this if we had ended up losing instead of hanging on by a thread)  we blew a big lead.   are you sure you are watching the same games?

it just occurred to me that my opinion of "playing fast" isnt the same as say big bill fan.    big bill fan considers getting in the half court offense but then shooting an open three as playing fast.   

i want us to get it down the floor asap and if there is an advantage go to the basket.   not casually get down the floor, and then setting up the half court and start the action.   i want to push it, try to beat the opponent to the front court and then let the guards decide if we have the advantage to go to the basket or then pull it out.   

we do not do this and we definitely didnt do it down the stretch vs memphis. 

you guys keep telling us that we have the best point guard in the nation and i concur he is very good.   he can accurately decide if we have the advantage.   but he doesnt seem to do that at the end.   he stops and sets up the half court offense.   and more times than not it is he who then takes the shot.  

MB73 likes this

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Fan's alright?  they were horrible to talk with and be around last go around up here. 

They weren’t very outgoing for sure…was geared up in SLU garb and traveling with my 11-year old son, assumed we may get some friendly banter but wasn’t the case.  That said, none were a$$ hats either.

27 minutes ago, ACE said:

I agree with you. It's not talked about, but we played way too fast with the lead late in that game and it nearly cost us.

Mbms have a habit of blocking out the quick shots at the end of games that lead to points the other way.  It doesn't fit the "take the air out of the ball" narrative.

All this discussion of style is missing the greater issue.  Our guys are literally finding ways to lose big games.  This dates back the Goodwin's dumb late foul against Davidson years ago when we already had the game won.   I never question our guys effort.  But there's a cold blooded mentality that it takes to get over the hump.  Do our local kids simply not possess it?

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

what?   my memory was the end of the memphis game was complete turmoil.  (this said, the memphis game was very enjoyable to watch.  might not be saying this if we had ended up losing instead of hanging on by a thread)  we blew a big lead.   are you sure you are watching the same games?

We blew a big lead due to poor clock management. We jacked up quick poor shots more than once. 

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

it just occurred to me that my opinion of "playing fast" isnt the same as say big bill fan.    big bill fan considers getting in the half court offense but then shooting an open three as playing fast.   

i want us to get it down the floor asap and if there is an advantage go to the basket.   not casually get down the floor, and then setting up the half court and start the action.   i want to push it, try to beat the opponent to the front court and then let the guards decide if we have the advantage to go to the basket or then pull it out.   

we do not do this and we definitely didnt do it down the stretch vs memphis. 

And even then if the guards decided to hold up you’d have a large percentage of posters claiming it was the wrong decision 

All this discussion of style is missing the greater issue.  Our guys are literally finding ways to lose big games.  This dates back the Goodwin's dumb late foul against Davidson years ago when we already had the game won.   I never question our guys effort.  But there's a cold blooded mentality that it takes to get over the hump.  Do our local kids simply not possess it?

Those kids go to P5 schools and one of them lives in Chapel Hill, NC.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mbms have a habit of blocking out the quick shots at the end of games that lead to points the other way.  It doesn't fit the "take the air out of the ball" narrative.

All this discussion of style is missing the greater issue.  Our guys are literally finding ways to lose big games.  This dates back the Goodwin's dumb late foul against Davidson years ago when we already had the game won.   I never question our guys effort.  But there's a cold blooded mentality that it takes to get over the hump.  Do our local kids simply not possess it?

In the Memphis game...

3:06 Memphis makes a basket the lead is down to 11 (still comfortable)

2:57 (less than 9 seconds later!) Parker misses a shot

2:49 Memphis misses a shot

2:37 (just 12 second later!) Perkins misses a shot

2:35 Okoro grabs a rebound kicks it out to Jimmer

2:33 Jimmer misses a 3-point attempt (Just two seconds run off the club. That's way too soon with an 11 point lead!)

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

In the Memphis game...

3:06 Memphis makes a basket the lead is down to 11 (still comfortable)

2:57 (less than 9 seconds later!) Parker misses a shot

2:49 Memphis misses a shot

2:37 (just 12 second later!) Perkins misses a shot

2:35 Okoro grabs a rebound kicks it out to Jimmer

2:33 Jimmer misses a 3-point attempt (Just two seconds run off the club. That's way too soon with an 11 point lead!)

out of context.   what happened from the change of possession to the shot's taken?   how fast did we go from the rebound to the frontcourt before the shot was taken?   for example we know parker didnt take it across the halfline.   

i want the ball in collins hands until the across the halfline.   now if he throws a baseball pass to a streaking player that is fine with me.  but collins in the waning minutes of the game should have the ball, gets it across the halfline at full speed, then he makes the decision to go not jimerson or parker.

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

out of context.   what happened from the change of possession to the shot's taken?   how fast did we go from the rebound to the frontcourt before the shot was taken?   for example we know parker didnt take it across the halfline.   

i want the ball in collins hands until the across the halfline.   now if he throws a baseball pass to a streaking player that is fine with me.  but collins in the waning minutes of the game should have the ball, gets it across the halfline at full speed, then he makes the decision to go not jimerson or parker.

I'm not sure how it's "out of context". The game is on Youtube. Go give the last few minutes another look.  The announcer was critical of the Parker shot and the Perk and Jimmer part, I was very critical of in the moment. Up 11, the shot by Jimmer was very ill-advised.

dennis_w likes this

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm not sure how it's "out of context". The game is on Youtube. Go give the last few minutes another look.  The announcer was critical of the Parker shot and the Perk and Jimmer part, I was very critical of in the moment. Up 11, the shot by Jimmer was very ill-advised.

i not saying i disagree with that.   i am saying what led up to the shots?   it's how it got across the halfline and who made the decision to go.   a lot of teams play fast.   but only good teams can control the break.   that's what i want the billikens to be.   i believe they have the talent and personnel to do that.   we do it to build up these leads.   and then we change it up and pizz away the leads.   

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

you guys keep telling us that we have the best point guard in the nation and i concur he is very good.   he can accurately decide if we have the advantage.   but he doesnt seem to do that at the end.   he stops and sets up the half court offense.   and more times than not it is he who then takes the shot.  

I am with you there Roy, and in my opinion Yuri is acting to favor/promote Yuri not necessarily the team. I believe (and I may be wrong)  that during his NBA evaluation last spring he was told he needed to improve his shooting. I will leave it there. I do not like to have Yuri control the team's play to the degree that without him the team does not function well.                                                                                                                                                    

MB73 likes this

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

The #13 team on the road. I get we had a chance to win and probably should have as nothing Auburn did caused missed free throws. In the end though a 5 pt road loss to the 13th ranked team in the country will not hurt our resume at all. We showed we belong with that level of a team

As it stands today, it won’t hurt much.  I am still not convinced Auburn is the number 13 team in the country.  An above average defense will shut them down.  I can see them losing some, but hoping they stay in the top 25.  

I do think they are top 25 caliber, but I honestly was surprised how much we were able to hang in with a big scoring drought in the first.

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if it was a loss to Paul Quinn college then that might be crippling mentally.   but a last 2 minute loss to the #13 team in the country while it stings  to know they missed a hell of an opportunity to not only get some national mention and notice as well as earning post season points, it still is a "good" loss (if there is such a thing and hopefully Ford can use it to demonstrate how close they are and use it as motivation to build on.  

besides recruiting, imo Ford is an excellent motivator.   so he now has a good tool to use.

the voice of reason :)