GDT: vs Auburn

A secondary factor was the timeouts called by SLU players on the floor, one by Perkins, one by Hargrove against the Auburn press. SLU had only 1 timeout left at crunch time, none to quell the late Auburn run with the decision to save it until absolutely needed. Perhaps you can burn one, but not two.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between last year and this years expections thus far.

forrester is no where near ML.

Parker is but a deep bench role player(as of now)

perkins is 60%.  Perkins needs to be at 80% to be a significant gain. 

More Fred and THJ until Parker and Perkins shows progress imo. Very least fred. 

14 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Yuri makes the and one and Okoro makes 2 FTs to ice the Providence win: crickets 

We have one off day at the line: Fords fault!!

I hear you.  Good but not great affects different fans different ways.  Today's game could have been a program changing win.  It was the only such opportunity on the schedule. 

That's usually the deal every year -- our team only gets 1-2 chances a year at a program changing win.  To this point, only the Majerus-coached teams have been able to pull it off.  We've had average teams pull off humongous upsets.  But a good Billiken team beating a ranked team?  It almost never happens in these parts.

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

I hear you.  Good but not great affects different people different ways.  Today's game could have been a program changing win.  It was the only such opportunity on the schedule. 

That's usually the deal every year -- our team only gets 1-2 chances a year at a program changing win.  To this point, only the Majerus-coached teams have been able to pull it off.  We've had average teams pull off humongous upsets.  But a good Billiken team beating a ranked team?  It almost never happens in these parts.

It hasn’t happened in the last 17 attempts. 0-17. Considering we’ve had decent to good squads for much of the last five years, that’s almost impossible to believe. 

I guess that’s just nobody’s fault.  Couldn’t be Ford’s. 

Ford wouldn’t get nearly as much benefit of the doubt if he had directly followed Majerus. Yes, the Crews years were terrible, but it’s been six years. It’s ok to expect more, Bills fans. 

The player that should be getting more positive talk after today is pickett.   I was a big "show me" guy concerning javon when he first became a billiken this year.  Thus far he's been very good.   He probably did more than anyone else to keep us in the game today.   He's been a great asset to the Billiken's so far.

50 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

What did he say that was false?  I didn’t see him say they missed FTs because of Ford. It’s also easy to pick out the Ford apologists on this board.  

I don’t classify myself as a Ford hater, but my patience is wearing very thin with the inability to get over the hump. 

Huh, better question did you read what he said??? He said the players performance was a reflection on Ford’s leadership… so I will ask you, are you agreeing that the team going 1 for 11 from the line in the 2nd half is Ford’s fault? The over the top reactions to a loss on this board are insane….

slufanskip likes this

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Huh, better question did you read what he said??? He said the players performance was a reflection on Ford’s leadership… so I will ask you, are you agreeing that the team going 1 for 11 from the line in the 2nd half is Ford’s fault? The over the top reactions to a loss on this board are insane….

Nope read what he said again and get back to me. 

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It hasn’t happened in the last 17 attempts. 0-17. Considering we’ve had decent to good squads for much of the last five years, that’s almost impossible to believe. 

I guess that’s just nobody’s fault.  Couldn’t be Ford’s. 

Ford wouldn’t get nearly as much benefit of the doubt if he had directly followed Majerus. Yes, the Crews years were terrible, but it’s been six years. It’s ok to expect more, Bills fans. 

I think hanging this one on Ford is ridiculous. We had a top 25 team on the ropes, on their floor.  Our veteran guys missed key free-throws. 

The only reason I can think of for the awful free throw results in the second half is the incredible level of noise the fans were making. They missed, period, this had nothing to do with Ford I am pretty sure of this.

This was a tough game with lots of physical contact under the basket. It is true that Okoro, Yuri, and Forrester caused 11 out of the 12 TOs we had in the game. Auburn also had 12 TOs. We were even in this regard, probably beacuse of the high physical contact level in this game. If Ford bad mouthed Okoro, and Forrester, not Yuri (I did not hear what he said) this was wrong in my opinion.  

Billikenbooster to quote Napoleon: "Victory has many fathers, Defeat is an orphan." Or, like you said "things are never as bad as it seems after a loss, and never as good as it seems after a win."

35 minutes ago, dlarry said:

That is a very very very disappointing loss.

This one is going to sting for awhile.

That said I feel better about this team now than I did 24 hours ago. 

This was their toughest game of the season and they should have won. 
Learn from it, move on, and sweep the rest of the non con. 

I’m less upset about this loss than the Maryland loss. We’re so close to getting over that hump. FTs lost this game, not Ford, but blowing late leads sure has been way too common under Ford.

We still have a decent chance at heading into conference play at 11-2 with both losses coming against ranked teams. Finish the non-con strong, get Perkins up to 85%+, Parker more comfortable, and let’s dominate what now seems to be a pretty week A10. 

David King and CenHudDude like this

26 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Things are never as bad as it seems after a loss, and never as good as it seems after a win.

That sure feels like the case so often. I actually feel better about this team today than I did a week ago. While we did make plays in the Providence game, I thought that was one we kind of stole. So I found myself not as high after that win as I assume others were. Although that was a day after an ass kicking, so maybe nobody was overly high after that win. After the loss today, I felt like we were the better team throughout (I struggle to see Auburn being a top #15 team at this point in the season), but just didn't make plays in the final 5 minutes and had a historically bad effort from the free throw line from a team that has shot it really well from the line. Leaves me shaking my head as far as how did we lose that one, but overall I feel better about the team than I did a week ago. I feel like Yuri kind of stole us the Providence game and didn't have the magic today (in the final few minutes he missed a contested pull up, had his shot blocked leading to a runout dunk, and missed a quick pull up 3 in the game determining possessions).

I would say on paper we are likely where I expected us to be, but as far as play on the court we are not as good as I was hoping. Our current Pomeroy ranking of #45 feels right. The hope for me is that Perkins continues to recover and we have that added threat come the conference season. As a fan, this really has to be the season.

20 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I’m less upset about this loss than the Maryland loss. We’re so close to getting over that hump. FTs lost this game, not Ford, but blowing late leads sure has been way too common under Ford.

We still have a decent chance at heading into conference play at 11-2 with both losses coming against ranked teams. Finish the non-con strong, get Perkins up to 85%+, Parker more comfortable, and let’s dominate what now seems to be a pretty week A10. 

I kind of chalked the Maryland game up to a bad day at the office. They happen. The Bills just did it in incredible fashion.

This one bothers me because we should have won.

We are on the same page with everything else. 

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I kind of chalked the Maryland game up to a bad day at the office. They happen. The Bills just did it in incredible fashion.

This one bothers me because we should have won.

We are on the same page with everything else. 

You’re right, I should be more upset with this loss than the Maryland loss. Perhaps I’ve just finally hit stage 5 of the Kübler-Ross model when it comes to having the lead on good teams with less than 10 minutes to play. 

dlarry likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I did see Yuri slowing the return when we were ahead towards the end of the game. I do not know if this was Yuri or Ford but that  plus the free throws that cost us the  game.

Look at the play by play.  Our last eight possessions, from basically the 4 minute mark on down, were 17 sec, 19 sec, 29 sec, 17 sec, 15 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, and 4 sec.  Auburn was pressing full court.  Then they played aggressive defense.  Where is this 'slow down' you speak of?  I assume you are referring to the one 29 sec set.  Please refresh me on exactly what went down. 

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

I think hanging this one on Ford is ridiculous. We had a top 25 team on the ropes, on their floor.  Our veteran guys missed key free-throws. 

I’m not hanging this one on Ford. I’m pointing out that we have routinely failed to take the next step as a program under Ford.  Hopefully we can turn this season around, if not, questions should be asked. 

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You must enjoy making a fool of yourself, here  is Brian’s quote…

How a group of young men consistently react in high pressure, high stakes situations is almost always a direct reflection of the leader.

If I’m a fool what does that make you?  Reading comprehension clearly isn’t your strong suit.   Where in that post does it blame Ford for this loss?   It seems like a reflection on Ford’s tenure and our performance in big games. I don’t see anyone blaming Ford for missed free throws in this game. 

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If I’m a fool what does that make you?  Reading comprehension clearly isn’t your strong suit.   Where in that post does it blame Ford for this loss?   It seems like a reflection on Ford’s tenure and our performance in big games. I don’t see anyone blaming Ford for missed free throws in this game. 

I guess I was giving you a credit for a brain and being able to think…let me help, isn’t shooting ft’s part of performance in big games???? Again, you must delight in embarrassing yourself….

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I guess I was giving you a credit for a brain and being able to think…let me help, isn’t shooting ft’s part of performance in big games???? Again, you must delight in embarrassing yourself….

I see I’m talking to a stone wall here, so I’ll spare the rest of the board from reading this worthless argument, and log off for the night.