GDT: vs Auburn

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until our guys show me otherwise, they only see themselves as good and not great.  That kind of team will inexplicably unravel late in games that could take the program to the next level.  That kind of team finishes third in the conference and sneaks into the dance with a double digit seed. 

Our guys need to look in the mirror and decide whether they're content with "good but not great" being their legacy.  

27 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Do feel good about that comment?  Ford slowed them down.  The free throw misses sucked but he slowed down again in the last minutes of the game

I did see Yuri slowing the return when we were ahead towards the end of the game. I do not know if this was Yuri or Ford but that  plus the free throws that cost us the  game.

Some wild posts on here fellas…. Honestly I didn’t think we choked.  Back and forth game with lots of lead changes.  Great defense and rebounding, good game plan, but just a mind blowing performance from the free throw line.

but I get it, same old results and now we have to play exceptional ball the rest of the way to get an at large.. same old story.  An L is an L..

just frustrating…

almaman likes this

Just now, brianstl said:

How a group of young men consistently react in high pressure, high stakes situations is almost always a direct reflection of the leader.

Most cases I agree, but FTs were off all game, wasn’t like we stopped stopped hitting late.  It’s possible that the players lost the game,  not ford. In fact, it’s getting annoying that no matter what, ford goes to blame - and this is coming from a guy who is starting to grow tired of ford 

majerus mojo likes this

That is why the captain goes down with the ship rather than get in the life boats, and the surgeon gets sued for any errors made by the team. I did not hear what Ford said after the game but I hope he did not blast the team. It was a good game although not  free of issues, primarily the free throws.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Some wild posts on here fellas…. Honestly I didn’t think we choked.  Back and forth game with lots of lead changes.  Great defense and rebounding, good game plan, but just a mind blowing performance from the free throw line.

but I get it, same old results and now we have to play exceptional ball the rest of the way to get an at large.. same old story.  An L is an L..

just frustrating…

I would classify 1/11 second half free throws as choking. 4/14 overall I think. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Most cases I agree, but FTs were off all game, wasn’t like we stopped stopped hitting late.  It’s possible that the players lost the game,  not ford. In fact, it’s getting annoying that no matter what, ford goes to blame - and this is coming from a guy who is starting to grow tired of ford 

He is getting blame because closing out tight games has been a consistent issue for multiple seasons featuring different different players.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is why the captain goes down with the ship rather than get in the life boats, and the surgeon gets sued for any errors made by the team. I did not hear what Ford said after the game but I hope he did not blast the team. It was a good game although not  free of issues, primarily the free throws.

Anyone listen to Fords interview with Rammer/Earl postgame?  He took some not so veiled shots at Forrester and Okoro

13 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

just frustrating…

You don’t think we choked?!  Talk about a wild post…

From Coach's comments with Rammer and Earl after the game:

Coach: "we just didn't play very well." ...  "The effort was right, but we just didn't play very well."

He was critical of the 5s. "We had zero rim protection. None."

You could tell in his voice that this one was really tough to swallow. The emotion was raw as he talked.

1 minute ago, laker119 said:

Anyone listen to Fords interview with Rammer/Earl postgame?  He took some not so veiled shots at Forrester and Okoro

Good. All for that. They were bad, and they’re seniors. Any  quotes? 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

You don’t think we choked?!  Talk about a wild post…

I think what he meant is that we didn’t choke in the way we have in the past(?).  Normally bad TOs we’re the root. Not saying we didn’t choke tho. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good. All for that. They were bad, and they’re seniors. Any  quotes? 

I don’t have any direct quotes, but I know he said our rim protection was awful,  and he hinted strongly that our 5 position is the weak spot on the team…and also how he knew it was gonna be a weak spot over the summer

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How a group of young men consistently react in high pressure, high stakes situations is almost always a direct reflection of the leader.

So they missed the ft’s because of Ford.. you’re embarrassing yourself Brian….it’s so easy to pick out the Ford haters on this board…

laker119 likes this

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

So they missed the ft’s because of Ford.. you’re embarrassing yourself Brian….it’s so easy to pick out the Ford haters on this board…

What did he say that was false?  I didn’t see him say they missed FTs because of Ford. It’s also easy to pick out the Ford apologists on this board.  

I don’t classify myself as a Ford hater, but my patience is wearing very thin with the inability to get over the hump. 

dlarry likes this

20 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I did see Yuri slowing the return when we were ahead towards the end of the game. I do not know if this was Yuri or Ford but that  plus the free throws that cost us the  game.

In the last 5 minutes of the game, we had 7 possessions between the point we went up 58-53 and the point the shot clock was turned off. The following is the time left on the shot clock in those 7 possessions when we took a shot....

:17, :14, :16, :07, :15, :18, :17

I wouldn't call that slowing it down. We pushed it at the end and took a shot when we had the opening. Missed free throws lost that game.

dennis_w likes this

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yuri makes the and one and Okoro makes 2 FTs to ice the Providence win: crickets 

We have one off day at the line: Fords fault!!

One things for sure Perkins from 2 years ago isn't on this team yet.   Our expectations include that Perkins not what we've been watching this year.   Not his fault.  He's just not recovered yet.

But even with a substandard Perkins we had a lead that only needed made free throws to win.   Just no excuse for it considering our team free throws this season.  

CenHudDude likes this