The YAWN...Yuri Assist Watch Now

The Wiz

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@The WizIf Yuri comes back next year the second end of the assist equation will be much more difficult at SLU.  Gone are Pickett, Perkins, Okoro, Forrester and Thatch (assuming).  That leaves Jimerson and prayers ----- MoMo, Vice, Hargrove and Parker.  

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@The WizIf Yuri comes back next year the second end of the assist equation will be much more difficult at SLU.  Gone are Pickett, Perkins, Okoro, Forrester and Thatch (assuming).  That leaves Jimerson and prayers ----- MoMo, Vice, Hargrove and Parker.  

Good point...

Yuri had 267 assists last year...he is projected this year to have 283...He will need 240 next year (7.7 /gm).  I have faith that Ford will be able to replace any missing players with enough punch to  get Yuri 7.7/gm...Scoring players will want to come to SLU knowing someone will be feeding them the ball.

Very doable for Yuri.

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Good point...

Yuri had 267 assists last year...he is projected this year to have 283...He will need 240 next year (7.7 /gm).  I have faith that Ford will be able to replace any missing players with enough punch to  get Yuri 7.7/gm...Scoring players will want to come to SLU knowing someone will be feeding them the ball.

Very doable for Yuri.

Aren’t the chances of him returning next year pretty low?

40 minutes ago, Old guy said:

It is clear, at least to me, that Yuri can be expected to do what is best for Yuri.

If Yuri always did what was best for Yuri wouldn’t he be a score first PG instead of a pass first PG? 

Also, shouldn’t  young adults make the decision that is best for them and their family? 

Finally, if Yuri always did what was best for Yuri he would be in Tennessee right now. 

rgbilliken likes this

30 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If Yuri Collins stays for his fifth year in Saint Louis next season we will we be one of if not the hottest transfer portal destinations in the country for anyone that isn't a point guard. 

What happens to your profile pic when Yuri is gone after graduating/eligibility runs out? Are you going to keep it? I've always been curious.

5 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

What happens to your profile pic when Yuri is gone after graduating/eligibility runs out? Are you going to keep it? I've always been curious.

I'll have a meeting with the board to discuss a rebrand. As a former recruiter Cian Medley has a strong lead on the competition but I'm also an early contender for biggest Bruce Zhang fan on the board.  

To be determined. 

ALTERNATIVELY, if Yuri makes an NBA roster it probably stays. 

Yuri moves up 7 spots to #132...current assist total...665

Tied  with

Grayson Marshall...Clemson...1986-88

Passed....

Damon Stoudamire...Ariz...1992-95

Jason Richards...Davidson...2005-08

Negele Knight...Dayton...1986-90

20 minutes ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

Does the Yuri assist total watch really translate into us being a better team? Is there any correlation at all? At this point it just appears to be an individual accolade not something that is raising the play of the entire team. We’re an under achieving team.

It's fun and notable. Yuri has the potential to be the all-time NCAA assists leader if he chooses to stay another year AND has the chance to do it with SLU. I'd say considering SLU doesn't currently hold a positive NCAA record, this is worth tracking. Stop being a negative Neville.

30 minutes ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

Does the Yuri assist total watch really translate into us being a better team? Is there any correlation at all? At this point it just appears to be an individual accolade not something that is raising the play of the entire team. We’re an under achieving team.

Yes, assists help the team win. 

A Billikens.com thread keeping track of the assists actually has no affect

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

I love what Yuri is doing. Assists means points. Most points still wins. You play the game to win.  But put it into a different context. 

Who is the NCAA career leader in blocked shots?  Does anyone care?

Gilyard is the career leader in steals. Has Richmond profited from this?

it’s a short term attention grabber that has very little lasting effect. 

billiken_roy and slufan13 like this

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I love what Yuri is doing. Assists means points. Most points still wins. But put it into a different context. 

Who is the career leader in blocked shots?  Does anyone care?

Gilyard is the career leader in steals. Has Richmond profited from this?

it’s a short term attention grabber that has very little lasting effect. 

Again, it's fun and, if you're a stat head who likes trivia, then it's really cool. I don't expect it to have long lasting implications, but it might boost our recruiting power for a year or two and having an NCAA individual career record for SLU is cool.