OT- World Cup

slufanskip

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Any thoughts on who you would want as the next USMNT coach? 

Many of you following the European leagues much closer than I do. Any thoughts on Jesse Marsch

I don't think he would want it, at least not right now. There's a lot more money and long-term upside in succeeding at Leeds. That said, Premier League coaches get turned over like crazy and it only takes a few bad weeks to get sacked. He also puts himself out there with his public comments. His players seem to love him but he risks rubbing other people the wrong way. I hope he does well at Leeds for a while to break the stigma around American managers, though.

I would totally take him over Gregg. I don't know if the timing would work out if Gregg is fired soon.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I would totally take him over Gregg. I don't know if the timing would work out if Gregg is fired soon.

Berhalters contract expired Dec 31. There is no one to fire. It is up to Earnie Stewart to sort this out. 

Anthony Hudson is handling the January camp and friendlies  

Pistol likes this

44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do things change now with Gio's mother releasing a statement that she sent the info to US Soccer compared to a "threat to release the story" in reaction to her son being dragged in the press? I have moved closer to the middle on this situation.

Yea. Assuming her statement is correct, I don’t think she actually did anything wrong. She asked that no more negative statements be made regarding Gio considering all was supposed to be forgiven. She was Rosalind’s college roommate so she was very aware of the incident with Gregg. Maybe she shouldn’t have brought that up but I can see how it was an innocent part of the conversation. Had this been just any parent, I’d say mind your own business but the Reyna’s aren’t just any parents and have been friends with Ernie Stewart for years. In her version and Claudio’s no blackmail, no threats just said Gregg should stop especially since he made a mistake at about the same age and was forgiven. Also Booo on US soccer for even feeling the need to investigate an issue from 30 years ago

Statement from Danielle Reyna

image.thumb.png.b5253a767d8c4f4b4ddddb0f5d5fcfd7.png

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do things change now with Gio's mother releasing a statement that she sent the info to US Soccer compared to a "threat to release the story" in reaction to her son being dragged in the press? I have moved closer to the middle on this situation.

I don’t think this story puts anyone in a good light. The issue of playing time, and how the situation was handled by Berhalter didn’t speak well of him as a coach.  If the coach doesn’t like how a captain on his team is displaying leadership or any other aspect of the team, then talk in private, but that conversation should never have been mentioned in any public forum. 
US Soccer should be looking for a new coach. I think we need Gio on the team, I hope he’s learned from this situation.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Any thoughts on who you would want as the next USMNT coach? 

Many of you following the European leagues much closer than I do. Any thoughts on Jesse Marsch

Marsch’s system is high paced, high scoring, less focused on defense/possession.  The result is that his teams will occasionally win/draw vs teams much better, but will also draw/lose to worse teams fairly often due to defensive lapses (see home draw vs West Ham today).   His players love him… see Erling Haaland-  he has a ton of love and respect for Jesse from their days together at Salzburg. 

In a normal qualifying cycle, I’d say there would be better choices.  Can’t afford to drop points to teams you should be beating, and I’d prefer a more possession based system with the talent we now have.  But since we don’t have to qualify next cycle, it is definitely worth a look.  In a short tournament setting such as Copa America or the World Cup, a Marsch team might just get hot enough to go on a run.  Conversely, they could just as easily bounce out in the group stage.  Still, after Berhalter Boring Ball, it would be exciting to have an attacking minded coach. Marsch would be a risk, but he certainly wouldn’t be boring. 

slufanskip likes this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You got to at least make a run at Pep.  Probably doesn't come close to happening, but you got make him an unbelievable offer.

He’s mentioned the idea of doing it here. Not sure how serious, but his camp has said it’s been talked about 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He’s mentioned the idea of doing it here. Not sure how serious, but his camp has said it’s been talked about 

The main reason I don't think it happens is because of his contract with Man City was just reupped.

25 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Marsch’s system is high paced, high scoring, less focused on defense/possession.  The result is that his teams will occasionally win/draw vs teams much better, but will also draw/lose to worse teams fairly often due to defensive lapses (see home draw vs West Ham today).   His players love him… see Erling Haaland-  he has a ton of love and respect for Jesse from their days together at Salzburg. 

In a normal qualifying cycle, I’d say there would be better choices.  Can’t afford to drop points to teams you should be beating, and I’d prefer a more possession based system with the talent we now have.  But since we don’t have to qualify next cycle, it is definitely worth a look.  In a short tournament setting such as Copa America or the World Cup, a Marsch team might just get hot enough to go on a run.  Conversely, they could just as easily bounce out in the group stage.  Still, after Berhalter Boring Ball, it would be exciting to have an attacking minded coach. Marsch would be a risk, but he certainly wouldn’t be boring. 

I don’t want a short term. With the young talent and the next WC being in North America we need to go big. Identify who we want and go get him. I think the US surprised and impressed some people at the WC. With so many injuries in qualifying, we didn’t really get give a real representation of who we are. I believe most coaches would like to come to the US with a real chance to take the US farther than we’ve ever gone. 

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The main reason I don't think it happens is because of his contract with Man City was just reupped.

Ya until 2025, we would essentially have a temp till then. Sucks because of timing and having copa before 

33 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don’t want a short term. With the young talent and the next WC being in North America we need to go big. Identify who we want and go get him. I think the US surprised and impressed some people at the WC. With so many injuries in qualifying, we didn’t really get give a real representation of who we are. I believe most coaches would like to come to the US with a real chance to take the US farther than we’ve ever gone. 

Yeah I think I’m in the same boat. I do think Marsch could be successful long term under very specific circumstances, ie, a team so much better than the others that the lack of focus on defense doesn’t really matter.  That’s how Salzburg was in the Austrian Bundesliga, but as soon as they got into the champions league, it didn’t work. Granted, they put up a lot of really good performances, but at the end of the day didn’t get a ton of results… again, not that Salzburg would be expected to vs the likes of Liverpool, Dortmund, etc.

The other consideration is that system matters significantly less at the international level than it does at the club level.  You’re training with these guys 1/10 of the time that their club coaches are.  You’ve gotta adapt your system to your players as much as you’re trying to implement your system.  Overall, I think Marsch would be a decent option but maybe not the best option.  

If you’re looking for Americans other than Marsch,  Jim Curtin from Philly is highly regarded.  Pellegrino Matarazzo is also out of a job and would almost certainly be interested. 

As far as Pep goes, he’s got a great thing going at City.  I don’t see him leaving until they win a Champions League (which is undoubtedly coming). And even then I’m sure he’d want to defend their title.  I think he’s a more realistic target for 2030 and beyond.   Others have mentioned Roberto Martinez, we could do a lot worse than him for this cycle.  More out of the box ideas could be Patrick Viera or Tata Martino, although I doubt we hire a coach just fired by Mexico. 

40 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

As far as Pep goes, he’s got a great thing going at City.  I don’t see him leaving until they win a Champions League (which is undoubtedly coming). And even then I’m sure he’d want to defend their title.  I think he’s a more realistic target for 2030 and beyond.   Others have mentioned Roberto Martinez, we could do a lot worse than him for this cycle.  More out of the box ideas could be Patrick Viera or Tata Martino, although I doubt we hire a coach just fired by Mexico. 

Oh trust me, I never ever want him leaving, but he has said after this contract is up, he’s going to coach a national team 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Berhalters contract expired Dec 31. There is no one to fire. It is up to Earnie Stewart to sort this out. 

Anthony Hudson is handling the January camp and friendlies  

Fair enough. "Not renewed" instead of fired.

This is soap opera crazy.  I wanted to get rid of Berhalter after the World Cup, he met expectations and didn't play one of our best players which was bizarre at the time.  Now this whole drama.  I don't advocate firing someone for something they did in a bar at 18.  That's not why I want him gone.  This is a separate issue, it's really low to put this out there too by the Reyna's.  But I'm so conflicted because I'm an Austin FC fan and this last season was really good so I like Reyna for his role.

21 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Pellegrino Matarazzo is an under the radar option who could be really good for the role

Intressante, he did get VFB Stuttgart promoted but then he got fired.

He played for SV Wehen which is outside Wiesbaden where I used to live.

The Bundesliga is tough only a few teams even really have a chance.  

On 1/4/2023 at 1:08 PM, slufanskip said:

I’d assume the emails were sent due to the lack of playing time, but it’s irrelevant imo. 

This is just a stupid move by someone who should know better. My opinion of Claudio who next to McBride and Keller are my favorite US players of all time has just took a big hit. 

I think I got the same email from a parent on a 5th grade B team. Classless 

Funny, McBride and Keller also my two favorites all time. Ramos and O’Brien (for me the best technical player ever on the USMNT in the rare moments he was healthy) next on the list. And agree, my respect for Claudio just plummeted.  

slufanskip likes this

What in your estimate did Ricardo Pepi do wrong? The coach called him and told him he wasn’t on the World Cup roster. The player didn’t yell at him or go to the press, he called his family and his agent and told them (which they were both certainly entitled to know), then started working harder and playing better. He is entitled to feel disappointed, but if he’s turning that disappointment into improving his play, and since he didn’t cause a disruption during the Cup, not sure I see the problem.