slufanskip

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don’t want to start a new soccer thread but 

RIP Pele. I had the pleasure of watching him play in the late 70’s vs The Dallas Tornado in Dallas. Undoubtedly the best player I’ve ever seen live in any sport. 40+ years later and I still remember. 

A legend is gone

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

this is chaotic. I had jokingly suggested during the WC that Reyna’s lack of playing time was due to beef between Claudio and Gregg. Who could’ve predicted that was actually the truth….

If this is true, he should to go prison on extortion charges.

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

this is chaotic. I had jokingly suggested during the WC that Reyna’s lack of playing time was due to beef between Claudio and Gregg. Who could’ve predicted that was actually the truth….

Well…was his lack of PT a result of the beef or the beef a result of the lack of PT? 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Well…was his lack of PT a result of the beef or the beef a result of the lack of PT? 

I’m not sure we will ever get a straight answer on that. I’d assume the threats/blackmail were done as a result of the lack of playing time, but who knows. 

While Gregg definitely seems like the more aggrieved party in this feud, I’ve still seen enough drama surrounding his leadership to justify starting fresh with a new coach. 

I expect Gio will be absent from the program for a while, too, regardless of whether he was aware of all this or not. 

I’d assume the emails were sent due to the lack of playing time, but it’s irrelevant imo. 

This is just a stupid move by someone who should know better. My opinion of Claudio who next to McBride and Keller are my favorite US players of all time has just took a big hit. 

I think I got the same email from a parent on a 5th grade B team. Classless 

Bizziken likes this

18 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m not sure we will ever get a straight answer on that. I’d assume the threats/blackmail were done as a result of the lack of playing time, but who knows. 

While Gregg definitely seems like the more aggrieved party in this feud, I’ve still seen enough drama surrounding his leadership to justify starting fresh with a new coach. 

I expect Gio will be absent from the program for a while, too, regardless of whether he was aware of all this or not. 

I hope not re Gio. We need him and I’d bet he didn’t even know it was happening. After he resolved his issue with the team, I doubt he wanted this. 

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Any thoughts on who you would want as the next USMNT coach? 

Many of you following the European leagues much closer than I do. Any thoughts on Jesse Marsch

depends on timing of things. Jesse and Pep are stretches, and timing isn't favorable but not completely unrealistic. 

Roberto Martinez would be, blah.  He never did anything with a loaded Belgium squad. 

Jim Curtain - Philadelphia Union 

Hugo Perez - El Salvador 

48 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I think I got the same email from a parent on a 5th grade B team. Classless 

That's the wild thing about this situation. It seems like drama from a youth club team with helicopter parents who go overboard but this is the U.S. Men's National Team, FFS.

Gio has already been dragged through it enough by Gregg. He doesn't deserve a suspension or anything. His parents, on the other hand, could indeed take a timeout.

I don't disagree with @gobillsgo that it seems like we've had enough unnecessary nonsense during the Berhalter era to go with a new manager for the next cycle. It's a decision that needs to be made soon, one way or the other.

slufanskip likes this

Its not quite the severity of what gregg did when he was young.. Its the timing + it being our best player involved in this whole thing.   The timing comes out when gregg probably needed all the help he could get to get a new contract from USSF.  When you are fighting for a job, any DV case, minor or major, does not help you.  So thats just one element of this whole thing.  

Now, how does this bode for the future, when the US soccer royal family and the coach HATE each other.  How can the USSF seriously say, its fine, sh!t happens lets keep Gregg, when this could also rule out our best player who is only 20, and likely able to play in 3 more world cups. 

Im all for Gregg getting booted, but It should be because we feel he's not the best coach moving forward from a soccer perspective, I hate it for Gregg that this grade school crap is likely what will do it. 

Pistol likes this

I don't know that it will be because of this, but it's just one more thing. His speech at that leadership conference last month, letting the story leak about Gio in the clubhouse, was an unforced error on his part. This move from Gio's mom or dad doesn't do anyone any favors but does create more noise around Berhalter.

If I were running USSF, I was probably already thinking about whether I have to decide between this coach and this young superstar, and to me it's clearly going to be the talent over the coach.

Just now, Pistol said:

If I were running USSF, I was probably already thinking about whether I have to decide between this coach and this young superstar, and to me it's clearly going to be the talent over the coach.

I will say, USSF would not sleep for a few months if Gregg was considered a very good coach.  That would be a decision I would want no part in. 

Also assuming from here out USSF will have to tell Gio's parents that they have nothing to do with USSF anymore. 

Pistol likes this