OT- World Cup

slufanskip

34 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Zimmerman back in for CCV…disappointed but not surprised 

Zimmerman is our best set piece defender and set piece offensive presence around the goal.  Now, Pulisic just has to deliver on set pieces, which he has not done very well to date in the WC. 

CCV has speed over Z, but doesn't match his set piece abilities.  Pick which one you want to emphasize.

I am interested to see where help for Dest will come from in defending Gapko. I'm seeing McKennie helping with the 'double team'.  But can he go 90+?

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Zimmerman is our best set piece defender and set piece offensive presence around the goal.  Now, Pulisic just has to deliver on set pieces, which he has not done very well to date in the WC. 

CCV has speed over Z, but doesn't match his set piece abilities.  Pick which one you want to emphasize.

I am interested to see where help for Dest will come from in defending Gapko. I'm seeing McKennie helping with the 'double team'.  But can he go 90+?

I just feel with the pace of Gakpo and Depay, I’d rather have CCV alongside Ream.   But you’re right about the set piece presence of Zimmerman, although I hope his distribution is better from the back today than it was against Wales and England

BilliesBy40 likes this

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Why is Ferrera in this game? 

Dives like Memphis did at the 35 min mark should get yellows. 

They finish 1 chance so far, we miss ours? That simple. No reason we didn’t have an early 1-0 lead

This game is making me dig up all the deplorable stuff the Dutch did in South Africa as recently as the 80s so I can feel better.

Edit: I'm mixing the Dutch with Afrikaaners 😵💫

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

And they beat me to it but Tyler Adams as good as he’s been just can’t jog behind Memphis all the way down the field. This is where our youth hurts as no chance to give Adams rest at all in the 3 games. 

This is where not getting much depth from that 26-34 year old group really hurts. The 20-25 yo group has provided loads of talent but we need the next 4 years to provide depth and even relegate a few players that start now to being depth. At that point we will be able to compete in WC’s where you play so many games so close together with the worlds best.

I love Pulisic but we need his caliber to be our 3rd, 4th best player. Not our best. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

And they beat me to it but Tyler Adams as good as he’s been just can’t jog behind Memphis all the way down the field. This is where our youth hurts as no chance to give Adams rest at all in the 3 games. 

This is where not getting much depth from that 26-34 year old group really hurts. The 29-25 yo group has provided loads of talent but we need the next 4 years to provide depth and even relegate a few players that start now to being depth. At that point we will be able to compete in WC’s where you play so many games so close together with the worlds best.

I love Pulisic but we need his caliber to be our 3rd, 4th best player. Not our best. 

100% with all of this but I will say Pulisic isn’t our best player. Our best player was on the bench most of the tourney. Shame on Gregg for that.

TheA_Bomb likes this

47 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

100% with all of this but I will say Pulisic isn’t our best player. Our best player was on the bench most of the tourney. Shame on Gregg for that.

Not yet on Reyna. As of today Pulisic is our best player or Tyler Adams but he’ll never get that designation because of the position he plays. 

Next WC maybe. Like Pulisic he needs to stay healthy. Maybe Reyna can be that guy that’s name gets mentioned when we’re talking about the best players in the world. 

The real issue is we had an entire WC cycle + that can’t even provide real capable reserves. We have half of a roster that shouldn’t even be on a WC roster. Roldan, Ferreira, Morris, Moore, Yeldin, Long, Wright, Acosta, Carter-Vickers. Ream as good as he was can’t be your best central defender that plays 360 minutes over 13 days. Zim is a guy that should be a reserve not a starter. 

This next group coming up needs to find a couple of real world class quality central defenders to pair with Miles and maybe Richards and Zim. We need depth at both outside backs or someone to make A Robinson and Dest depth. We need a #9. Honestly we have all these young guys but besides Josh, I don’t see any of them having a real chance of becoming the guy we need. We need someone to make Josh the 2nd or 3rd choice. 

Reyna, Musah, Pulisic, or a young player coming up. Someone had to reach the next level. 

We’ve grown leaps and bounds now we need the next group to equal or surpass the top players of todays group. 

And I’m tired of hearing these talking heads Lalas and all saying we lost because of not doing fundamental things like tracking back (Adams) or finding your man (Ream, Robinson). Of course those things are true but the reality is we can’t have the hardest working guy on the field, or a 35 year old defender, or the wing back we ask to go end line to end line playing 4 straight games in 13 days because we literally have no one else. 

Proud of the effort the team put out there. This match flipped on three first half plays. 

Pulisic has to finish that first half gift. 

Adams who is my US MVP can’t let Memphis blow by him on his goal. Perhaps he thought someone else would pick up Memphis, but no one did. Can’t jog back. 

Dest, who had just put out 100% on the offensive end and was winded, was a step slow on Blind. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Proud of the effort the team put out there. This match flipped on three first half plays. 

Pulisic has to finish that first half gift. 

Adams who is my US MVP can’t let Memphis blow by him his goal. Perhaps he thought someone else would pick up Memphis, but no one did. Can’t jog back. 

Dest, who had just put out 100% on the offensive end and was winded, was a atep slow on Blind. 

2nd youngest team at the WC but I’d imagine youngest team when you remove 50 year old Ream who skews the average. 4 years from now most of these players should be hitting their prime. Develop a finisher and sturdy Center back help and I’m optimistic. Add to the fact we’ll be able to enjoy these games in North America and I’m excited.

HoosierPal likes this

On 12/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, BilliesBy40 said:

I get the rankings but frankly don’t find them super relevant now. Considering current form, I would easily take Japan’s path.

Love how this entire discussion was basically rendered moot because Japan lost to Croatia and Spain lost to Morocco.  Didn't see that coming.

BilliesBy40 likes this