slufanskip

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And second ranked Belgium going home.

Japan’s second goal, was it or wasn’t it. Millimeters either way. 

I thought it was out but certainly couldn’t argue a decision either way. Having lived 4 years in GE, I wanted them to go through so I may be biased. Japan deserves it though. 

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The drama of the matches yesterday and today has been unbelievable.  Belgium should have had 3 goals, yet they are going home through a scoreless tie.   Mexico heads home even with a win in their final match (due to a stoppage goal by Saudi Arabia), and Poland, totally outclassed by and losing to Argentina, moving on.  For a while, it looked like Mexico might not advance due to Fair Play Points, but a late goal wiped that tiebreaker out. 

Getting out of Group Play is a very difficult task.  Great job by the USMNT.

in a way, they still did go out because of fair play, because they knew it was gonna come to that and had to push forward for another goal, leaving them open to the Saudi counter.  Hilarious 

According to Coach Berhalter, Pulisic looks good to go, Sargent a 'little less promising'.  Both will be tested on the pitch today.  Also of concern is this will be 4th match in 13 days.  McKennie and Dest in particular have shown difficulty going past 70 minutes with their form.

AND, Berhalter also revealed the US camp, like the Dutch, have been hit with flu-like symptoms at the tournament. Many reckon it’s a product of the icy levels of air conditioning the host nation has maintained at stadiums and other venues, combating heat in the Middle East country.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

According to Coach Berhalter, Pulisic looks good to go, Sargent a 'little less promising'.  Both will be tested on the pitch today.  Also of concern is this will be 4th match in 13 days.  McKennie and Dest in particular have shown difficulty going past 70 minutes with their form.

AND, Berhalter also revealed the US camp, like the Dutch, have been hit with flu-like symptoms at the tournament. Many reckon it’s a product of the icy levels of air conditioning the host nation has maintained at stadiums and other venues, combating heat in the Middle East country.

He did mention that it went though camp early, whereas the Dutch are dealing with it now

I really wish Gregg had integrated Scally a bit more in the lead up to Qatar.  Dest is one of our most important players when he’s on the pitch, but as others have mentioned, he can’t seem to go the full 90 (or possible 120 Saturday).  There’s probably no bigger fall off from starter to backup (assuming the backups Gregg wants to play are Moore and Yedlin) than there is at RB.  Dest is so important to everything we do offensively, since our MMA midfield definitely leaves a lot to be desired offensively.   I’d say the fall off in the second half of every group game was almost immediately after removing Dest for Moore or Yedlin. 

19 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

College basketball writer tweeting about the World Cup that fits right into the discussion here.  I'm not super knowledgeable about soccer, but the theory here looks sound:

Instead, Spain now will likely have to beat Portugal and France or England BEFORE the final. Reasonable people could disagree, but I would rather be where Japan is.

23 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Instead, Spain now will likely have to beat Portugal and France or England BEFORE the final. Reasonable people could disagree, but I would rather be where Japan is.

FIFA rankings are in parentheses below.   Obviously these rankings are flawed, but it seems clear to me Spain's path is easier.  Up for debate if they purposefully engineered it or not.  Avoiding Brazil in the quarters is a pretty big boost to their ability to make a deeper run.

Japan's(24) most likely path is now Croatia(12), Brazil(1), Argentina(3), then France(4) or England(5) in the final.

Spain(7) has Morocco(22), Portugal(9), England(4) or France(5), and then Brazil(1) or Argentina(3) in the final.

Germany(11, but under ranked IMO) being eliminated is pretty big as well because they were a title contender that Spain now doesn't have to worry about.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

FIFA rankings are in parentheses below.   Obviously these rankings are flawed, but it seems clear to me Spain's path is easier.  Up for debate if they purposefully engineered it or not.  Avoiding Brazil in the quarters is a pretty big boost to their ability to make a deeper run.

Japan's(24) most likely path is now Croatia(12), Brazil(1), Argentina(3), then France(4) or England(5) in the final.

Spain(7) has Morocco(22), Portugal(9), England(4) or France(5), and then Brazil(1) or Argentina(3) in the final.

Germany(11, but under ranked IMO) being eliminated is pretty big as well because they were a title contender that Spain now doesn't have to worry about.

I get the rankings but frankly don’t find them super relevant now. Considering current form, I would easily take Japan’s path.