OT- World Cup

slufanskip

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I thought he was asking about Miles Robinson. Antonee Robinson is arguably one of our most important players not named Tyler Adams in my opinion. But ya yesterday wasn't his best game. I think he covers more ground than almost anyone and that man never stops. I think he's probably been one of the most consistent fixtures in the lineup during the whole qualification run. But don't fact check me on that.

Sorry - I was asking about Antonee.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Good try skip but you still sound more like a lawyer than an MD. The pelvis is a massive structure which anchors the whole body structure. It has no or extremely limited capacity for movement between its component parts. So, a pelvic contusion can break some portion of the pelvis, usually in the pubic ramus area or the iliac crests. There can be linear fractures present which are hard to find. If there is no fracture you usually get bleeding, swelling, and muscular damage. The level of limitation of motion of limbs, etc. depends on the location of the injury. If there is no fracture (including linear) the player can be back to play after the blood collection is eliminated either by drainage or reabsorbed by the body. The muscles will take some time to come back to normal function, the pelvis provides the  point of attachment for a large number of muscle groups. This guy may be back to play fairly soon, but is not likely to get back to his prior level of play right away.

That is more like it. This one does not sound like a legal brief.

Are you allowed to say Pubic Ramus on the board?

Here's the thing Reyna is a starter on one of the best teams in the Bundesliga, one of the best teams in Europe.  He can create for others and this team is in dire need of goal scoring.  He's probably in the top 3 best players in the US and not getting minutes.  It's baffling.

Round of 16 biggest USMNT game in 12 years or so.   So you never know it's been a wild World Cup.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Here's the thing Reyna is a starter on one of the best teams in the Bundesliga, one of the best teams in Europe.  He can create for others and this team is in dire need of goal scoring.  He's probably in the top 3 best players in the US and not getting minutes.  It's baffling.

Round of 16 biggest USMNT game in 12 years or so.   So you never know it's been a wild World Cup.

Ggg saving gio for the finals

13 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't disagree completely but are you starting him and in place of who? If not, when do you bring him in and in place of who? The problem really is that we have 6 very good players for 4 positions. McKennie, Pulisic, Musah, Reyna, Weah, and Aaronson. I suggested earlier in the run up to the WC that we try Aaronson or someone else up top to get our best players on the field all at once. The WC though is not the place to experiment. 

The US has had trouble scoring but it isn't from not controlling the play or from creating opportunities. It's been from poor finishing, poor crossing, and poor decision making on the final play. 

For example, vs Iran Pulisic made the wrong play twice, both times negating what should have been better scoring chances. The 1st one was very early. He took 1 touch too many and his dribble was stopped on a breakaway. That ball should have been played through to Sargent I believe. He also put a weak header on goal that had absolutely no chance to score when he should have headed that ball back across goal to an open player and what would have been an easy finish. 

Weah tried to thread the ball back through to Sargent, he absolutely should have put the shot on goal. From that distance even if the keeper gets it the odds that there isn't a rebound that Sargent is waiting to pounce on is slim. 

None of these are guaranteed goals but all would have been much better scoring opportunities and I'd bet at least 1 if not more would have been a goal. 

This isn't just the Iran game, that's just the game that is freshest on my mind. It is an ongoing problem that needs to be solved if the US is going to reach their full potential. Part of it is youth and inexperience, however, these guys have played at a high level for a while. The youth is real, I'm not so sure the inexperience is. 

And we have to quit sending so many shots over the crossbar. We don't get 3 points for a FG.

Re Anfernee Robinson. He's the best left back we've had in a couple of decades. He's not one of the best few in the world but he's damn good. He is capable defender if not more, he has speed with the ability to get up the wing and turn the corner. He needs to be more accurate on his service and have better ball control on his runs as he often just pushes the ball too far out-front making him too easy to tackle. If he improves in these areas and he is still slightly young, he could be elite at the position. 

We can beat the Netherlands. We need to be patient out of the back and with build up. In addition, we need to counter quicker. Turn forward and go quickly, make better decisions in the final third, and put the damn shots on goal. Turner also has the ability to keep us in games. To make the game saving save. 

Regarding Greg B

I don't agree with Shaq Moore even being on the team more or less in a game. I don't get it. I like many others would question some of his substitutions. 

However, the result is the result. We are in the knockout round with a game against an opponent that we can (not will) beat. 

On the other hand. He did select Tim. Not only did he select him, but he also started him from game 1. He also inserted Carter-Vickers in the Iran game which imo was instrumental to the win. 

Imo he's made some good moves, and some moves I've questioned. However, like I said, the result is the result. We are playing in the knockout round against a beatable opponent. 

I'll give credit and leave it at that

HoosierPal and brianstl like this

@slufanskip

When Pulisic came out I thought for sure we'd see Reyna.  If you're going to sub him in then do so in the 60th minute.   Have 1 of the AFs sell out and press high knowing they'll be relieved.  Or something you gotta find a way to get 1 of your best on the pitch. 

The drama of the matches yesterday and today has been unbelievable.  Belgium should have had 3 goals, yet they are going home through a scoreless tie.   Mexico heads home even with a win in their final match (due to a stoppage goal by Saudi Arabia), and Poland, totally outclassed by and losing to Argentina, moving on.  For a while, it looked like Mexico might not advance due to Fair Play Points, but a late goal wiped that tiebreaker out. 

Getting out of Group Play is a very difficult task.  Great job by the USMNT.

almaman likes this

12 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@slufanskip

When Pulisic came out I thought for sure we'd see Reyna.  If you're going to sub him in then do so in the 60th minute.   Have 1 of the AFs sell out and press high knowing they'll be relieved.  Or something you gotta find a way to get 1 of your best on the pitch. 

Yea, I could have seen him coming in for Pulisic but I also can’t argue with Aaronson. 

I’m not disagreeing, it’s just not an easy choice. Either way 2 of your best don’t start.

Depending on Pulisic’s health, it may not be an issue vs the Netherlands 

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The drama of the matches yesterday and today has been unbelievable.  Belgium should have had 3 goals, yet they are going home through a scoreless tie.   Mexico heads home even with a win in their final match and Poland, totally outclassed by and losing to Argentina, moving on.  For a while, it looked like Mexico might not advance due to Fair Play Points, but a late goal wiped that tiebreaker out. 

Getting out of Group Play is a very difficult task.  Great job by he USMNT.

Who had Morocco winning their group. 

The fair play factor ranks up there with the all star game winner getting home field advantage in the WS as stupid ideas. 

There were 4-6 fouls in the Iran game worse than at least 1 and possibly 2 of our yellows vs Wales. How can you have something that’s given out indiscriminately having that much power. Even as it is yellow cards are given out like candy from one ref and like a winning lottery ticket by the next. Even the accumulation in the group stage is stupid

HoosierPal likes this

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Who had Morocco winning their group. 

The fair play factor ranks up there with the all star game winner getting home field advantage in the WS as stupid ideas. 

There were 4-6 fouls in the Iran game worse than at least 1 and possibly 2 of our yellows vs Wales. How can you have something that’s given out indiscriminately having that much power. Even as it is yellow cards are given out like candy from one ref and like a winning lottery ticket by the next. Even the accumulation in the group stage is stupid

Not disagreeing, but what would be your 7th tiebreaker?  

Points, Goal differential, Goals scored, Head to Head point total, Head to Head goal difference, Head to Head Goals scored.  What is next?  Drawing lots?  Rock, Paper, Scissors? FIFA Ranking?

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Points, Goal differential, Goals scored, Head to Head point total, Head to Head goal difference, Head to Head Goals scored.  What is next?  Drawing lots?  Rock, Paper, Scissors? FIFA Ranking?

Each group simply has a predetermined location for PK’s to be done within 24 hours of last match. If there is an easier location it can be changed if both teams agree. Yep it’s a hassle but I’d bet teams would prefer this to a fair play rule. You always have a few days between your final group game and your first knockout game. Think of the excitement. 

I also think Group WC games should have a winner. 2 OT’s then PK’s. You don’t want OT go for the win. Let OT be a golden goal and give extra subs. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I would have the coaches of the two teams meet at the center of the pitch and compare their Pubic Rambus bones.  It should be televised of course.

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

The US has had trouble scoring but it isn't from not controlling the play or from creating opportunities. It's been from poor finishing, poor crossing, and poor decision making on the final play. 

Our corners and set pieces have been abysmal. Nothing new for US soccer, but our first and second touches are way too heavy as well. 

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Our corners and set pieces have been abysmal. Nothing new for US soccer, but our first and second touches are way too heavy as well. 

Yes. By crossing in general I would count corners and even a lot of set piece service I’m not a fan of Pulisic in that role, but I’m honestly it sure who else to go to