OT- World Cup

slufanskip

Win or lose message boards exist to dissect the game and criticize/praise coaches and players. I don’t understand why people are getting so bent out of shape because I few people don’t agree with coaching decisions.

As someone who is excited about MLS in the STL and watches the WC and the Olympics I appreciate the criticism. I don’t follow it enough to make my own educated decisions. 

Ironbills likes this

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Win or lose message boards exist to dissect the game and criticize/praise coaches and players. I don’t understand why people are getting so bent out of shape because I few people don’t agree with coaching decisions.

As someone who is excited about MLS in the STL and watches the WC and the Olympics I appreciate the criticism. I don’t follow it enough to make my own educated decisions. 

Some of the people mad about criticizing GGG will criticize ford. I’m confused 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Waiting for OG to approve this or not. 

I’ll take this for old guy.

if he’s been accurately diagnosed with a pelvic contusion, he could be out for just a short time, or he could be out longer. The severity of the pelvic contusion wii determine the length of time missed and Christian!s availability for the next game. Even if he does play he may or may not be fully recovered which could have an effect on the quality of his play. 

Was just looking at slubillikens.com and they have the Social Media feeds at the bottom.  Why are there no Tim Ream posts by SLU AD Social Media?

Biggest sporting event in the World with a SLU player starting and crickets.  Did I just miss it or is the AD not capitalizing on this chance to hillight a Billiken athlete?

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Was just looking at slubillikens.com and they have the Social Media feeds at the bottom.  Why is there no Tim Ream posts by SLU AD Social Media?

Biggest sporting event in the World with a SLU player starting and crickets.  Did I just miss it or is the AD not capitalizing on this chance to hilight a Billiken athlete?

Soccer team has been, but the AD definitely should

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Was just looking at slubillikens.com and they have the Social Media feeds at the bottom.  Why is there no Tim Ream posts by SLU AD Social Media?

Biggest sporting event in the World with a SLU player starring and crickets.  Did I just miss it or is the AD not capitalizing on this chance to hilight a Billiken athlete?

Fixed it for you

8 hours ago, almaman said:

& b happy!?:)

Man I'll admit the last 5 years I've really fought to find a good balance between hoping for success and wanting to be proven correct when it comes to SLU Volleyball. I'm not specifically talking about anyone in this thread but it feels like soccer fans, US specifically(proximity bias?), would rather be right about Berhalter or the players he has chosen being not good enough than see the USMNT succeed.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Man I'll admit the last 5 years I've really fought to find a good balance between hoping for success and wanting to be proven correct when it comes to SLU Volleyball. I'm not specifically talking about anyone in this thread but it feels like soccer fans, US specifically(proximity bias?), would rather be right about Berhalter or the players he has chosen being not good enough than see the USMNT succeed.

I think Berthalter deserves credit for the team making the final 16.  I, also, think some of the criticism is more than fair.  The subs have got all of the attention, but much overlooked is the fact he wouldn’t have had Ream on the team if it wasn’t for injuries.  This team would be heading home today with 3 losses without Tim Ream.

BilliesBy40 likes this

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m sure this is (probably fairly) addressed at me, so I’ll take a crack at it. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I admittedly am not a Berhalter fan, as I’m sure most in the thread can tell.   I think he routinely gets the subs all wrong, is very poor at talent evaluation, and (prior to the World Cup) does not usually set the team up to play in a way that benefits our strengths.  We have generally been horrible away from home under him as well.  Qualification in CONCACAF is the easiest region in the World, with only Asia close in terms of ease, and it came down to the final match day to qualify (although it was basically wrapped up 2nd to last match day).  And I don’t think he was qualified to get the job in the first place, but that’s a whole other discussion. 

WITH ALL THAT SAID, I have probably been a bit harsh on him. He seems to be (mostly) respected by the players.  Results wise, in competitive matches he has done what he needed to do so far.  The first halves so far in the World Cup have been phenomenal. He should get a lot of credit for that. Second halves, more of a mixed bag.  Even the most respected soccer heads in the country have pointed out his questionable/downright bad substitutions and tactical adjustments.   Still, he got us to the knockout stages, and it certainly hasn’t been undeserved.  

Just as I am with SLU hoops, I am primarily a fan of the team. No matter my thoughts on the coach, I want the team to be successful.  I would never cheer for the team to be unsuccessful just to get rid of a coach.  We are sports fans, analyzing and discussing coaching decisions is part of that, and your analysis doesn’t always have to be positive, positive, positive in order for you to be a fan of the team.  The fact of the matter is, now that we’ve advanced, Berhalter is probably coach until 2026, which is probably deserved.  I’d rather Berhalter go on to become the most successful USMNT coach of all time than see the team lose a bunch just to get rid of him. I’d happily look like the world’s biggest idiot in that case.  

BilliesBy40 and slufanskip like this

14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m sure this is (probably fairly) addressed at me, so I’ll take a crack at it. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I admittedly am not a Berhalter fan, as I’m sure most in the thread can tell.   I think he routinely gets the subs all wrong, is very poor at talent evaluation, and (prior to the World Cup) does not usually set the team up to play in a way that benefits our strengths.  We have generally been horrible away from home under him as well.  Qualification in CONCACAF is the easiest region in the World, with only Asia close in terms of ease, and it came down to the final match day to qualify (although it was basically wrapped up 2nd to last match day).  And I don’t think he was qualified to get the job in the first place, but that’s a whole other discussion. 

WITH ALL THAT SAID, I have probably been a bit harsh on him. He seems to be (mostly) respected by the players.  Results wise, in competitive matches he has done what he needed to do so far.  The first halves so far in the World Cup have been phenomenal. He should get a lot of credit for that. Second halves, more of a mixed bag.  Even the most respected soccer heads in the country have pointed out his questionable/downright bad substitutions and tactical adjustments.   Still, he got us to the knockout stages, and it certainly hasn’t been undeserved.  

Just as I am with SLU hoops, I am primarily a fan of the team. No matter my thoughts on the coach, I want the team to be successful.  I would never cheer for the team to be unsuccessful just to get rid of a coach.  We are sports fans, analyzing and discussing coaching decisions is part of that, and your analysis doesn’t always have to be positive, positive, positive in order for you to be a fan of the team.  The fact of the matter is, now that we’ve advanced, Berhalter is probably coach until 2026, which is probably deserved.  I’d rather Berhalter go on to become the most successful USMNT coach of all time than see the team lose a bunch just to get rid of him. I’d happily look like the world’s biggest idiot in that case.  

Appreciate the thoughtful response. While partially inspired by you, my post was an amalgamation of my experiences across all social platforms and in person.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

When Dempsey is critisizing players/decisions like this immediately after a win, I think it's safe to say this isn't just "soccer fans being unreasonable" in relation to Gregg's decision-making. Like gobills said, our gameplans have been excellent, but his in-game subs have been all over the board, and the lack of minutes from Reyna is really going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths/only add fuel to the fire. It would be like Ford leaving Jimerson on the bench for all but 5 mins in the NCAA tournament. 

21 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

wasn't Ream a late add by GGG? IIRC he wasn't going to take Ream until someone got injured. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

wasn't Ream a late add by GGG? IIRC he wasn't going to take Ream until someone got injured. 

Ream hasn’t been involved with the team since very early in the qualifying cycle. By all accounts, Gregg didn’t rate him as one of his best defenders.  Injuries to Miles Robinson and Chris Richards (regular starters under Gregg) really forced his hand with CB depth. 

With that said, Ream is having a definite late career renaissance that would’ve been hard to predict. He never really looked consistently good for the US, and was also a mixed bag for Fulham until this year.  He’s been one of the best center backs in the Premier League this year, so that coupled with our lack of depth made his inclusion almost mandatory. 

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ream hasn’t been involved with the team since very early in the qualifying cycle. By all accounts, Gregg didn’t rate him as one of his best defenders.  Injuries to Miles Robinson and Chris Richards (regular starters under Gregg) really forced his hand with CB depth. 

With that said, Ream is having a definite late career renaissance that would’ve been hard to predict. He never really looked consistently good for the US, and was also a mixed bag for Fulham until this year.  He’s been one of the best center backs in the Premier League this year, so that coupled with our lack of depth made his inclusion almost mandatory. 

He was good with Fulham last year too, not this good, but good. 

brianstl likes this

34 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

When Dempsey is critisizing players/decisions like this immediately after a win, I think it's safe to say this isn't just "soccer fans being unreasonable" in relation to Gregg's decision-making. Like gobills said, our gameplans have been excellent, but his in-game subs have been all over the board, and the lack of minutes from Reyna is really going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths/only add fuel to the fire. It would be like Ford leaving Jimerson on the bench for all but 5 mins in the NCAA tournament. 

Out of likes but 100% agree. Leaving Reyna on the bench continues to be a head scratcher. I would argue Reyna is our most talented player, but even a conservative position would have him top 3 on the team. We need him to play 70+ minutes against the Netherlands.

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Out of likes but 100% agree. Leaving Reyna on the bench continues to be a head scratcher. I would argue Reyna is our most talented player, but even a conservative position would have him top 3 on the team. We need him to play 70+ minutes against the Netherlands.

His lack of time is baffling.  Unless he is hurt, which everyone involved in the program keeps denying. 

15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I admittedly don't know much about soccer, but...Robinson is not good, right?

He has his moments. Yesterday was one of the worst games I’ve seen him play for us.  The first touch is always questionable with him, yesterday it was outright bad. But he’s quick and can whip in a cross as well as anyone.  We also really have no other options, unless we slide Ream left (we shouldn’t, as well as he’s playing at CB) or shift Dest to the left side (we shouldn’t, Dest has been great at RB, and Gregg probably wouldn’t play Scally, our best backup there).  

17 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I’ll take this for old guy.

if he’s been accurately diagnosed with a pelvic contusion, he could be out for just a short time, or he could be out longer. The severity of the pelvic contusion wii determine the length of time missed and Christian!s availability for the next game. Even if he does play he may or may not be fully recovered which could have an effect on the quality of his play. 

Good try skip but you still sound more like a lawyer than an MD. The pelvis is a massive structure which anchors the whole body structure. It has no or extremely limited capacity for movement between its component parts. So, a pelvic contusion can break some portion of the pelvis, usually in the pubic ramus area or the iliac crests. There can be linear fractures present which are hard to find. If there is no fracture you usually get bleeding, swelling, and muscular damage. The level of limitation of motion of limbs, etc. depends on the location of the injury. If there is no fracture (including linear) the player can be back to play after the blood collection is eliminated either by drainage or reabsorbed by the body. The muscles will take some time to come back to normal function, the pelvis provides the  point of attachment for a large number of muscle groups. This guy may be back to play fairly soon, but is not likely to get back to his prior level of play right away.

That is more like it. This one does not sound like a legal brief.

16 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

He has his moments. Yesterday was one of the worst games I’ve seen him play for us.  The first touch is always questionable with him, yesterday it was outright bad. But he’s quick and can whip in a cross as well as anyone.  We also really have no other options, unless we slide Ream left (we shouldn’t, as well as he’s playing at CB) or shift Dest to the left side (we shouldn’t, Dest has been great at RB, and Gregg probably wouldn’t play Scally, our best backup there).  

I thought he was asking about Miles Robinson. Antonee Robinson is arguably one of our most important players not named Tyler Adams in my opinion. But ya yesterday wasn't his best game. I think he covers more ground than almost anyone and that man never stops. I think he's probably been one of the most consistent fixtures in the lineup during the whole qualification run. But don't fact check me on that.