OT- World Cup

slufanskip

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Get lost. 

What, Greg didn’t text you about his moves and now you are bent?

Calm down, Egg’s Dad. I know you think you’re God’s gift to sports fandom, and to the world for that matter, but people are allowed to have a different opinion than you. 

I’m a bigger USMNT fan than anyone, and it’s hard to watch Egg nearly destroy it over the course of 3.5 years. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, laker119 said:

You can be excited as hell to move on, but also wonder what in the world the manager is thinking bringing in a below average MLS defender (Shaq Moore) to see out a win.  You can walk and chew gum at the same time, as they say

Nope, HoosierGal says we have to get lost. 

1 minute ago, laker119 said:

You can be excited as hell to move on, but also wonder what in the world the manager is thinking bringing in a below average MLS defender (Shaq Moore) to see out a win.  You can walk and chew gum at the same time, as they say

I think I draw the line for putting up with "criticism" at insulting with dumb nicknames. See: Orange Man, Killary, Egg, etc. Just doesn't do anything for me other than keep from entertaining the rest of your point. I check out.

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'd live with the win for a hot minute. Not exactly a one to one comparison. I don't know man, just seems like if we won 3-0 people'd be pissed it wasn't 6. Maybe I spent so long in the place of being miserable about minute decision in sports for so long I just got tired of it.

We lose, it's Berhalter's fault

We draw, Berhalter wasn't aggressive enough.

We win, Berhalter almost cost us the win.

Just like man, that's a brutal way to spend 2 hours.

As I said, I’m thrilled for the win and happy to be moving on.  I’ll give Gregg credit for setting the team up well in all three games from the start. The substitutions are just mind-boggling. 

Just now, gobillsgo said:

As I said, I’m thrilled for the win and happy to be moving on.  I’ll give Gregg credit for setting the team up well in all three games from the start. The substitutions are just mind-boggling. 

But why are they mind-boggling? All I'm hearing is Shaq Moore is an MLS defender that sucks and shouldn't have been brought in.

This is the thing that has killed me when I used to hang around with soccer guys more often. They are incredibly hypercritical of anyone. Everyone sucks and shouldn't be where they are. I mean I heard "he sucks" about Ream from a guy who played with Ream at SLU. It's brutal and energy sapping.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

But why are they mind-boggling? All I'm hearing is Shaq Moore is an MLS defender that sucks and shouldn't have been brought in.

This is the thing that has killed me when I used to hang around with soccer guys more often. They are incredibly hypercritical of anyone. Everyone sucks and shouldn't be where they are. I mean I heard "he sucks" about Ream from a guy who played with Ream at SLU. It's brutal and energy sapping.

I think most can see Moore consistently gives the ball away, loses his man, is positioned poorly, etc. from the moment he comes on the pitch. When you’re a substitute you’re supposed to be fresher than the attackers who have been playing all game. When you combine that with the fact that Berhalter has Yedlin and Scally also on the bench, it’s ridiculous to continue to bring moore in. 

majerus mojo likes this

Just now, gobillsgo said:

I think most can see Moore consistently gives the ball away, loses his man, is positioned poorly, etc. from the moment he comes on the pitch. When you’re a substitute you’re supposed to be fresher than the attackers who have been playing all game. When you combine that with the fact that Berhalter has Yedlin and Scally also on the bench, it’s ridiculous to continue to bring moore in. 

There we go. Thank you. I don't even care to be right or wrong here. I just wanted something more than "he sucks".

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m in agreement on Moore. I don’t get it. However we wanted defense and that’s not Yedlin either. I just haven’t seen enough of Scally to have an opinion. 

I have no problem bringing in Acosta to help close out a game with a 1 goal lead. 

27 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Calm down, Egg’s Dad. I know you think you’re God’s gift to sports fandom, and to the world for that matter, but people are allowed to have a different opinion than you. 

I’m a bigger USMNT fan than anyone, and it’s hard to watch Egg nearly destroy it over the course of 3.5 years. 

Bigger than anyone? Are you typing this from the game. Maybe as big as anyone. 

One cool moment was when they had a shout out for the St. Louis with Ream and Sargent, and then showed a live look in at the power and light district in KC where there was a large crowd.

It will be awesome to see the KC/STL rivalry blossom in MLS over the next few years. That combined with SLU’s return to the national soccer stage (with local talent to boot) has really put Missouri back on the map.

Wonder if an aging Ream might consider playing a final few years on a hometown MLS team later this decade?

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Bigger than anyone? Are you typing this from the game. Maybe as big as anyone. 

As big as anyone then.  I watch every minute of every game. 

A little frustrating when guys such as Hoosier and others in this thread from the beginning told anyone who complained about the roster how stupid we were for complaining about guys like Moore and Wright, since they’re 23-26 on the roster and wouldn’t even see the field.  Then when they both play crucial minutes and play mediocre (Wright) and horrible (Moore), I’m attacked by Hoosier for even pointing it out. What happened to them not playing?  

Again, I’m thrilled to be moving on, but there are reasonable questions to be asked about Berhalter’s in game decisions, and his talent evaluation. But for now I’ll just enjoy the win. 

slufanskip likes this

26 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

One cool moment was when they had a shout out for the St. Louis with Ream and Sargent, and then showed a live look in at the power and light district in KC where there was a large crowd.

It will be awesome to see the KC/STL rivalry blossom in MLS over the next few years. That combined with SLU’s return to the national soccer stage (with local talent to boot) has really put Missouri back on the map.

Wonder if an aging Ream might consider playing a final few years on a hometown MLS team later this decade?

I would’ve put a lot of money a year ago on Ream playing for STL City SC in its first year. Now he looks indispensable for Fulham. He’s really been much more consistent this year and even raised his level. Impressive for a 35 year old. 

there was a rumor going around after the Fulham-Man City game that Guardiola approached ream and told him he’d be playing on his team if he were ten years younger. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I guess you missed a minor detail.  We won today.

Coach Berhalter got this group through Qualifications.  Coach Berhalter got this team through the Group Stage.  Those are wins that we haven't seen in a while.  That's great coaching, great team selection, and great strategy.  If that is destruction, bring it on. By the way, who was the coach that took the US to the 2018 World Cup?  Oops, we didn’t qualify.  I’d say Coach Berhalter has resurrected the team.  Guess we differ on that, right? 

Will Coach Berhalter get his team to win the World Cup?  No. 

But when we get kicked out, you win right?  You can get on your soap box and rant how Coach Berhalter lost the WC due to having too many MLS players on the squad (due to an international conspiracy).  And you, the self proclaimed "bigger soccer fan than ANYONE", can rant on how his lousy coaching lost the match.  But until then, you need to enjoy the US victory, like most of us are.

17 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Sounds like Pulisic really did put it all on the line for his country, sacrificing his nuts for that goal. Looking back on the images it looks like the goalkeeper’s cleat went straight into the jewels. Can any of the MBM docs weigh in?

I don’t need to be a doctor to tell you it really hurts.

dlarry likes this

You're kidding yourself if you're ignoring the let down in 2 of 3 games due to the head scratching substitutions.  Also no Reyna again?  What the hell is that?  He's one of our best players.

Got through to next round.   That's good.   

For the first time in my 75 years on the planet I watched an entire Soccer (Futbol) game. Was it thrilling? At the end it was. Hoping USA would not breakdown and allow a goal. There is so much I don’t know about this game, it was hard to watch. I don’t get yellow cards, the clocks, offsides, or subs. I men when the Iranian tried to yank the shirt off our guy, I was thinking that guy should be pulled. I think he got a yellow card, which is like a warning from a traffic cop. 

That said, I got into it. Glad we won. Nice to see SLU represented. And feel sorry for the Iranian team since they’ll likely be subject to punishment when they get home. Back to hoops. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Pelvic contusion for Pulisic, apparently is day-to-day.  I’m no old guy, but that sounds like good news. Hopefully he’s at least available off the bench for Saturday. The Dutch are beatable. 

Waiting for OG to approve this or not. 

Fraz likes this

28 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

You're kidding yourself if you're ignoring the let down in 2 of 3 games due to the head scratching substitutions.  Also no Reyna again?  What the hell is that?  He's one of our best players.

Got through to next round.   That's good.   

The love of Shaq and the lack of playing time for Gio is confounding.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The love of Shaq and the lack of playing time for Gio is confounding.

Maybe GGG has beef with Gio’s dad?  They were both on the USMNT from ‘94-‘06, but Claudio undoubtedly had the more successful career. Claudio also has the more successful son. Gregg’s kid barely plays in MLS.

Edit:  I know Gregg and Claudio are friends, this was a joke