OT- World Cup

slufanskip

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What are the rules about inserting your GM onto the roster?  We need a finisher.

It’s not there, is it!   Can we trade for one?  Bring Deuce out of retirement…he’s already in Qatar. 

Sargent-no

Wright -no

Might as well try Jesus against Iran. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

There’s way too much complaining in here. This team is playing like a semifinalist. 

Huh?  They’re playing exactly to the level of their opponents, which is what Berhalter teams always do. The second we start to look better than the other team, he makes mind boggling changes to bring us back to the norm. Yes, you’ll occasionally look decent against the good teams, but it’s not for a full game, and at the end of the day, we have 2 points thru 2 games. Now we have to beat a decent Iran team to go through.  I’ll be rooting for it to happen, but realistically how confident can we be that it will happen?  

39 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Zimmerman is in over his head. Every single pass is either a giveaway or puts his teammate under immense pressure. Shaq Moore is just outright bad, Egg brining him in for Dest (our best player this game) was a massive “F you” to US fans everywhere.  Players (and managers) who fail in Europe and move back to MLS as a last resort should not be in the national team.  

Apparently everyone except ol’ Egg Head could see a 0-0 tie is no better than a 1-0 loss. How do you not push for the win?  He brings Reyna on FINALLY with 7 minutes left, Aaronson with only 20 to go.  

England was playing for the draw that almost guarantees their advancement. They’ve never been more there for the taking, and shocking 2nd half management again prevented it. 

Iran players will be ready for the biggest game of their lives. A win or draw takes them through, and gives them national hero status for knocking out the US.  Hopefully Egg stays out of the damn way and lets our superior talent win the game. 

Gregg is an absolute clown, but he managed this game well. He went for the win by inserting Aaronson and Reyna, even if they should’ve started or come on earlier. Otherwise, getting the draw is valuable, and much more so than a loss. Win against Iran and we have a very winnable game to make the final 8. 

12 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Gregg is an absolute clown, but he managed this game well. He went for the win by inserting Aaronson and Reyna, even if they should’ve started or come on earlier. Otherwise, getting the draw is valuable, and much more so than a loss. Win against Iran and we have a very winnable game to make the final 8. 

We are almost certainly not finishing first in the group now.  A win vs Iran puts us second, most likely facing Netherlands.  The benefits of a win vs England are way greater than the benefits of a draw. And drawing provides no benefits over a 1-0 or 2-0 loss.  Lose or draw vs England and we have to beat Iran, in what amounts to the game of their lives. A win vs England gives us some breathing room. 

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

We are almost certainly not finishing first in the group now.  A win vs Iran puts us second, most likely facing Netherlands.  The benefits of a win vs England are way greater than the benefits of a draw. And drawing provides no benefits over a 1-0 or 2-0 loss.  Lose or draw vs England and we have to beat Iran, in what amounts to the game of their lives. A win vs England gives us some breathing room. 

I get your perspective, but group A has 3 teams that are near equals. The Netherlands are beatable, as are Senegal and Ecuador. Don’t sleep on an unexpected result in Netherlands vs Qatar either. That group isn’t over.

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I get your perspective, but group A has 3 teams that are near equals. The Netherlands are beatable, as are Senegal and Ecuador. Don’t sleep on an unexpected result in Netherlands vs Qatar either. That group isn’t over.

I guess.  There were certainly some positives about today’s performance, especially in holding a good (if not exactly motivated to attack) England team to zero goals.   I just can’t view it as a successful performance overall.  We haven’t played a full solid 90 minutes.  I hope it doesn’t cost us. 

Jesus Christ, this team just dominated half of a match against one of the supposed contenders in this tournament, sure we’ve lacked the finishing touch but I’ve got British friends texting me at halftime begging for this end in a draw.  This team is ridiculously young and talented. I don’t follow day to day news around the team(already too many hobbies), but to me it feels like this cycle has been prepping and gaining experience to go for the title in 3.5 years on home soil. Outside of the Zimmerman penalty and the Kane header today, the back line has been nails and attackers look very dangerous going forward. This team is either blissfully ignorant or packing major cajones under their Nike sliders. 

We’re going to beat Iran on Tuesday. MB73 5* lock bromigos. ✌️

Article from the BBC

England laboured to a drab draw against the United States to miss the chance to seal qualification for the World Cup knockout stage. 

Gareth Southgate's side were second best for long periods as they failed to match the energy and intensity of the USA, who have their own hopes of making the last 16. 

England, with Harry Maguire outstanding in defence, were unimpressive and rode their luck when Weston McKennie missed an easy chance and Christian Pulisic struck the bar in the first half. 

Mason Mount brought a fine save from USA goalkeeper Matt Turner just before the break but this was an undistinguished display that carried none of the attacking verve that saw the Three Lions thrash Iran in their opening game, and leaves them heading into their match against Wales with their fate undecided. 

England remain firm favourites to qualify for the knockout stage, knowing they only need to avoid a four-goal defeat against Wales to progress.

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Yeah, this is what I didn’t get.  The draw is pretty meaningless.  At least trying to open it up a bit towards the latter stages of the second half would have made sense, given the huge benefits of a win and how meaningless a draw (and loss) is.  

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Zimmerman is in over his head. Every single pass is either a giveaway or puts his teammate under immense pressure. Shaq Moore is just outright bad, Egg brining him in for Dest (our best player this game) was a massive “F you” to US fans everywhere.  Players (and managers) who fail in Europe and move back to MLS as a last resort should not be in the national team.  

Apparently everyone except ol’ Egg Head could see a 0-0 tie is no better than a 1-0 loss. How do you not push for the win?  He brings Reyna on FINALLY with 7 minutes left, Aaronson with only 20 to go.  

England was playing for the draw that almost guarantees their advancement. They’ve never been more there for the taking, and shocking 2nd half management again prevented it. 

Iran players will be ready for the biggest game of their lives. A win or draw takes them through, and gives them national hero status for knocking out the US.  Hopefully Egg stays out of the damn way and lets our superior talent win the game. 

There’s more people watching this game than the Super Bowl. I can’t imagine the feeling of the ball at my feet knowing this. He also made a goal saving block.