OT- World Cup

slufanskip

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

The amazing thing is how well rounded the Bills.com posters are as the same applies for college basketball especially from one who admittedly knows little about the game. 

Billikens.com is really a collection of carefully selected sports savants. We are living in a simulation, and this group was specifically chosen to correct all wrongs in the sports world. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thought about yesterday, I am not, and never have been, a fan of Kellyn Acosta. And he didn’t do anything yesterday before the final minute, but that was a great foul to take down Bale, who was lining up a shot on goal from midfield with Turner way off his line(what was he doing???) Acosta probably saved a point. What a disaster that could’ve been. 

4 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

One other thought about yesterday, I am not, and never have been, a fan of Kellyn Acosta. And he didn’t do anything yesterday before the final minute, but that was a great foul to take down Bale, who was lining up a shot on goal from midfield with Turner way off his line(what was he doing???) Acosta probably saved a point. What a disaster that could’ve been. 

Indeed. Cameras showed Acosta talking to his LAFC teammate Bale about it after the match. Bale was laughing. 

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Yes, great play, but anyone in that spot would’ve done the same thing. 

The fact that happened at all shows how out of control the end of the game was. Still amazed we did give Reyna a few minutes to try to win it.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

What an ending. 

Was hoping France would’ve gone the same route as Argentina and Germany today but it wasn’t to be. 

Japan over Germany and Saudi's over Argentina.....puts our two friendlies in a different light. 

Two or three for Coach B.

Pulisic's set pieces, well, weren't good.  Aaronson and Acosta have performed that task in prior games better than what we saw CP against Wales.  But for either to take over that role, one would have to start.

Musah (74th) and McKennie (66th) were gassed when they were subbed.  Do you bring one or both off the bench? 

Sargent had one memorable moment, when he started the play that Weah scored.  Other than that he was pretty quite.  Do you run him out there against England, as he has played against many of their players?  Ferreria or Wright, or does it really matter as none of them will likely do much.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, BilliesBy40 said:

Billikens.com is really a collection of carefully selected sports savants. We are living in a simulation, and this group was specifically chosen to correct all wrongs in the sports world. 

I feel so much more important than when I woke up after reading that.

I read today that the third tiebreaker in World Cup play for group standings is 'fair play points'.  

If tied on points, next is goal differential, then goals scored.  Fair Play points is an accumulation of yellow and red cards.  We currently have 4 yellows and Wales has 2.  

Yellow cards count - 1 point, indirect red - 3 points (second yellow card) and direct red is -4 points

27 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wawaweewa  Iran with 2 goals, both in stoppage time, to beat Wales 2-0. +8 and +11. I guess this means we now need to beat Iran next week (assuming a loss or tie today). A tie won’t cut it. 

That was a fun game. It basically made a tie for us irrelevant. Either a win and we play Iran for 1st place in the group or we tie or lose and need to bear Iran to move on. The only way a tie would come into play would be if we beat Iran and Wales ties England. Then it will come down to margin of victory and we’d have to beat Iran by 4 to go to the next tie breaker beyond goal differential or win by 5 to take the group outright. So the reality is a tie probably doesn’t help or hurt. 

The truth is if we can’t beat Iran we shouldn’t move on anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wawaweewa  Iran with 2 goals, both in stoppage time, to beat Wales 2-0. +8 and +11. I guess this means we now need to beat Iran next week (assuming a loss or tie today). A tie won’t cut it. 

After reading what happened before and during the Iran-Wales game, I am really concerned about what could happen Tuesday with fans.  What is happening between the Iranian fans is a powder keg just waiting to explode and then you add the the US to mix……

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

That was a fun game. It basically made a tie for us irrelevant. Either a win and we play Iran for 1st place in the group or we tie or lose and need to bear Iran to move on. The only way a tie would come into play would be if we beat Iran and Wales ties England. Then it will come down to margin of victory and we’d have to beat Iran by 4 to go to the next tie breaker beyond goal differential or win by 5 to take the group outright. So the reality is a tie probably doesn’t help or hurt. 

The truth is if we can’t beat Iran we shouldn’t move on anyway. 

We are through if we tie today and beat Iran. A tie would be a very good result.

Lose today and there is uncertainty on Tuesday, especially if we lose by multiple goals and England doesn’t need a result against Wales.

53 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

We are through if we tie today and beat Iran. A tie would be a very good result.

Lose today and there is uncertainty on Tuesday, especially if we lose by multiple goals and England doesn’t need a result against Wales.

Hoping for a match for cultural pride between England and Wales no matter what.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Tie today and there is uncertainty on Tuesday. Wales lost to Iran by 2. So even if we list by 2 to England today, Wales would have to beat England by more than we beat Iran. So yes a tie is better than a loss but it would take pretty surprising results to make a difference. Of course I’d rather tie than lose though. I’d rather win, then win vs Iran and take the group

BilliesBy40 likes this

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Tie today and there is uncertainty on Tuesday. Wales lost to Iran by 2. So even if we list by 2 to England today, Wales would have to beat England by more than we beat Iran. So yes a tie is better than a loss but it would take pretty surprising results to make a difference. Of course I’d rather tie than lose though. I’d rather win, then win vs Iran and take the group

Let’s win the damn game today. The Queen is dead - anything can happen!

slufanskip likes this