GDT: vs Providence

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still trying to figure out what Taj's definition of good is.  Because the implication of his statements thus far is that 90% of college players are not good.

This is true, Taj does think everyone in the A10 is bad. 

23 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I mean, they weren’t. But now they have an excellent coach.  Plus it’s been 2 years for croswell 

Bynum averaged 11 ppg and 4.5 apg as a freshman. He had offers from Notre Dame and Va Tech among others when he transferred from St. Joe's. He scored 20 points over SLU in one game and 18 points, 8 assists and 6 rebounds in another game against SLU that freshman season. He's also been a pretty damn good player in the Big East too.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Bynum averaged 11 ppg and 4.5 apg as a freshman. He had offers from Notre Dame and Va Tech among others when he transferred from St. Joe's. He scored 20 points over SLU in one game and 18 points, 8 assists and 6 rebounds in another game against SLU that freshman season. He's also been a pretty damn good player in the Big East too.

But those are just very good numbers.  If you're not great then you're not good.  Or something like that.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yuri is better.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

The same announcers when the Billikens were down by 11 thought the game still felt like it would come down to a last possession game. So I don’t think there was an obvious anti Billiken bias.  

I heard the announcers say that.

What was your opinion on the 2 fouls I mentioned?

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU, even with Perkins not yet at 100% and Thatch out with injury, was and is the better team. SLU was favored, and SLU won.

Good points. Exciting to think we beat Providence without our full or fully healthy line-up.

Our depth should be a strength this season. But it's good to see we can still win at a high level when we don't have as much of it.

Thatch would have helped reduce the board advantage Providence had. I guess when we’re being out rebounded Travis has no plan to play Forrester and Okoro together. I get it to a degree, but it hurts if your opponent is getting 15 second chances. We’re gonna struggle against teams that play a + 6’10” C along with a 6’8”-6’9” PF. 
Also, any thoughts on why Gibby got so few touches yesterday? I realize defenders are playing him tight but he seemed to be stationary in the corner a lot of the time. You would think Travis would scheme some ways to screen or pick his defender to shake him free to fire his bombs. Agreed, he appeared to have a little slump over the weekend. 

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Thatch would have helped reduce the board advantage Providence had. I guess when we’re being out rebounded Travis has no plan to play Forrester and Okoro together. I get it to a degree, but it hurts if your opponent is getting 15 second chances. We’re gonna struggle against teams that play a + 6’10” C along with a 6’8”-6’9” PF. 
Also, any thoughts on why Gibby got so few touches yesterday? I realize defenders are playing him tight but he seemed to be stationary in the corner a lot of the time. You would think Travis would scheme some ways to screen or pick his defender to shake him free to fire his bombs. Agreed, he appeared to have a little slump over the weekend. 

Agreed on Thatch but no way we play foul-machine Forrester and Okoro together.........we need to extend all 8 of those fouls to have any post presence at all at the end of the game......hopefully Momo id getting up to speed..... 

I'm assuming they were trying to deny the ball to Jimerson.......we shot an abysmal 3 point percentage when we did get the ball to a shooter.....

SLU_Lax likes this

29 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We screen or pick Gibson's defender every game.  That's where most of his shots come from.  If he still can't pop free, you have to tip your cap to the defense.

slufanskip likes this

Providence shot 100% at the free throw line, 20-20. So that’s 3-5 more points than Providence ordinarily would have had. SLU was 15-17 FT’s. Providence outrebounded SLU 38-35, but played Hopkins, a 6’7” power forward, a 4, 36 minutes. The stats were close to even, except Providence shot only 35.9% to SLU’s 48.3%, with Providence making up for it by hitting 7 3’s to SLU’s 3.

SLU proved the line was correct. SLU was favored and the slightly better team. Don’t minimize the venue advantage Providence had, although most of its loyal fans in attendance Saturday were elsewhere otherwise engaged Sunday. Thank you very much. 

gabriel likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

We screen or pick Gibson's defender every game.  That's where most of his shots come from.  If he still can't pop free, you have to tip your cap to the defense.

Did u not think he was standing stationary in the corner for a lot of minutes? I thought so. Last year he was on the move a lot; running the baseline circling to the other side. It seemed to me he didn’t do a lot of that yesterday. Granted, his shot was off. Hopefully, he didn’t like the sight lines. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Did u not think he was standing stationary in the corner for a lot of minutes? I thought so. Last year he was on the move a lot; running the baseline circling to the other side. It seemed to me he didn’t do a lot of that yesterday. Granted, his shot was off. Hopefully, he didn’t like the sight lines. 

the one man standing in the corner has been a part of Ford's offense since he has been here.   hargrove, jimerson, nesbit have all played the corner position for the billikens. 

almaman likes this

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I’m not sure his shot was off as much as he just didn’t get the space to shoot.

2/5 from 3 yesterday for 40 percent and only 2/3 from 2.

Not sure if his lack of shots was by design or just something that happened. Either way he needs to be more involved going forward.