Perspective

slu72

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, it was not only a bad loss, it was worse than that. However we got exactly until 2:30P tomorrow to get the team and the coach to recover their cool, get their act together, and go back into the court to win over Providence. It is doable but it is going to require a LOT from the team and the coach. The team reads this stuff, if we panic, we will not help them. Let's keep our cool and hope the best for them. Providence is an entirely different team playing in an entirely different league.

13 hours ago, slu72 said:

B’rich I hope you know me well enough to know I’m not one to pull the plug. But today was something we haven’t seen since the Crews’ days. We did not even looked like we belonged on the same court as MD. It was shameful. Do I think we’re as bad as we looked? No. But I’m not sure how tough this team is. They bullied us we should have pushed back. We had no D. How can we have NO D at this point. MD never hit 80 pts against 3 weak teams yet put up 95 against a supposedly top 40 team. That blows my mind. 

We’ll see tomorrow. Maybe just a cluster Eff of a game today. I hope so. I’m not writing off my beloved Billikens, just show us something tomorrow. 

All solid well thought out posts 72.

I am on the same exact page as you are.

It is not that the Bills lost they got the crap beat out of them away from Chaifetz which was an issue last season that did not get fixed.

I pointed out yesterday that for 3 seasons Majerus’s team never looked that way away from home and 2 or those years the coach was Crews.

Coach Ford can recruit, win at home, has brought a lot of excitement high expectations of this program and have the team in the running each season for the A10 title and that is great.  But defending the 3 point shot and the team falling apart away from home is still a problem.

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

All solid well thought out posts 72.

I am on the same exact page as you are.

It is not that the Bills lost they got the crap beat out of them away from Chaifetz which was an issue last season that did not get fixed.

I pointed out yesterday that for 3 seasons Majerus’s team never looked that way away from home and 2 or those years the coach was Crews.

Coach Ford can recruit, win at home, has brought a lot of excitement high expectations of this program and have the team in the running each season for the A10 title and that is great.  But defending the 3 point shot and the team falling apart away from home is still a problem.

I know break this out every time we have a bad loss but the best basketball mind I've ever seen coached us in a game where we set the record for lowest points in the shot clock era.  Lisch and Liddell were on that team if I recall correctly.  That was Majerus not Crews.

The story of the Maryland game was that we were overwhelmed by a great defensive team which, out of character, punched well above its weight at the three point line.  I don't think effort was a problem.  The title of this thread is "perspective."  We should try to get some.........  

billiken_roy likes this

13 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Every year has a bad loss. Hopefully it isn’t something that happens a lot.

Actually every year doesn't.  When we have very good teams, they don't have bad losses.

Ford's teams do this every year, usually multiple times.

21-22 - Memphis, Davidson, Northern iowa, UAB, Belmont, Auburn

20-21 - @Dayton, @Lasalle, St Bona in the A10 tourney

19-20 - Seton Hall , UMass and lost TWICE to Duquesne

18-19 - Pitt & SIU, Florida St,Richmond, Rhode Island, Duquesne, 30 point loss to 14-19 St Joes

We are going to lose games.  We are going to lose game we shouldn't.  When we have good teams historically we don't get blown out by anyone, we may lose a trap game, Loyola Marymount comes to mind, that is just bad scheduling, but we don't lose multiple games in conference to bad teams, and we don't get blown out by good to average or even bad teams.  Under Ford this has become a pattern.  We have games every year where don't show up, where we obviously aren't prepared by the coaching staff and get stomped.  We have games where the staff just blew the game.

Including this year we have had more than enough talent to go to the NCAAs the last 5 seasons.  We have 1 to show for it, and we had to win the A10 tourney to do that.  Yeah we could have made it the Covid year too but we were hardly a shoo in that season.  We were on the bubble going into the A10 tournament specifically beacuse of the losses to Duquesne and UMass.

Even IF we make it this year, with our talent levels the highest in a 5 year period than, in maybe the history of the program, we only have 2 NCAAs out of that?  If we for soem reason don't make the tournament this season our staff has to be reevaluated.

43 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I know break this out every time we have a bad loss but the best basketball mind I've ever seen coached us in a game where we set the record for lowest points in the shot clock era.  Lisch and Liddell were on that team if I recall correctly.  That was Majerus not Crews.

The story of the Maryland game was that we were overwhelmed by a great defensive team which, out of character, punched well above its weight at the three point line.  I don't think effort was a problem.  The title of this thread is "perspective."  We should try to get some.........  

Apples and oranges Rich that was not a team that had any chance of going to a tournament and finishing in the upper half of the A10.  That team that scored the least amount of points also defended and did not give up 95 points.

When Majerus assembled his team they did not lose on the road like this.  Those teams won at Xavier, Butler and VCU.

What we saw yesterday is a disturbing trend on the road against good teams under Ford whose team has an elite point guard and shooter.

No more excuses, Ford has to fix this.

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Actually every year doesn't.  When we have very good teams, they don't have bad losses.

Ford's teams do this every year, usually multiple times.

21-22 - Memphis, Davidson, Northern iowa, UAB, Belmont, Auburn

20-21 - @Dayton, @Lasalle, St Bona in the A10 tourney

19-20 - Seton Hall , UMass and lost TWICE to Duquesne

18-19 - Pitt & SIU, Florida St,Richmond, Rhode Island, Duquesne, 30 point loss to 14-19 St Joes

We are going to lose games.  We are going to lose game we shouldn't.  When we have good teams historically we don't get blown out by anyone, we may lose a trap game, Loyola Marymount comes to mind, that is just bad scheduling, but we don't lose multiple games in conference to bad teams, and we don't get blown out by good to average or even bad teams.  Under Ford this has become a pattern.  We have games every year where don't show up, where we obviously aren't prepared by the coaching staff and get stomped.  We have games where the staff just blew the game.

Including this year we have had more than enough talent to go to the NCAAs the last 5 seasons.  We have 1 to show for it, and we had to win the A10 tourney to do that.  Yeah we could have made it the Covid year too but we were hardly a shoo in that season.  We were on the bubble going into the A10 tournament specifically beacuse of the losses to Duquesne and UMass.

Even IF we make it this year, with our talent levels the highest in a 5 year period than, in maybe the history of the program, we only have 2 NCAAs out of that?  If we for soem reason don't make the tournament this season our staff has to be reevaluated.

Perfectly said Torch.

I am not a coach Ford basher but it has been a bad trend that has not been fixed and the reason I keep saying no excuses.  The bad trends must change with this team or what Ford team will.

Rich, the infamous 20 pt game coached by a HOF coach happened in Rick’s first year here. I’m not sure what his system was trying to achieve but he was adamant it would be adhered to no matter how uncomfortable it was for Lisch and Liddell and how painful it might be in the beginning. . Kind of like the Hoosiers coach stressing  at least 4 passes which made the Hickory kids freeze up and under perform.

To compare the 20 pt game to yesterday’s debacle doesn’t carry water for a few reasons. 1. New demanding coach’s system vs a coach  whose system has been in place for 7 years. 
2. Yes, Rick had Lisch and Liddell, but he also had about 8-9 new guys mostly FR. Our current roster is stacked with experienced players who’ve played under Travis their entire careers. 
I really thought yesterday’s game would be a tossup, but I never imagined it would look like Prairie View AM in  a buy game against Duke. 

Yes, every team has bad games but to get manhandled like we did against an opponent in a pick ‘em game left me a little skeptical about setting the bar too high for this squad. But, its now history, and I’ll be in front of the wide screen today hoping yesterday was a complete fluke and we win a competitive game against a good well coached Big East team. 

38 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

If we win today and lose to Auburn we are still easily on track for an at large. 

I agree with this.

Yesterdays loss may have just been a bad day. Sometimes that happens. 

if that’s the case, and this team is as good as we thought they were on Friday, they will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I know it’s halftime, but feel like this belongs in the “Perspective” thread…Maryland is beating Miami 47-34 at the half.

This is sad, I thought we could have beaten Miami if we had played them yesterday rather than Maryland. Oh well.

1 minute ago, Schasz said:

Still scratching my head how yesterday's game was supposed to be an even game...on what planet. We just do not match up with the MD athletes IMHO. 

The Maryland team was really pumped up for some reason. I checked the stats and ours were better than theirs were before the game. Like Wiz said they went to the tails of the distribution and they may be doing it again today against Miami. I have no idea why it happened yesterday, but it is within the realm of possibilities, although there is a very low probability for something like this to happen, even less to happen twice in a row. And, believe me there, it had nothing to do with Tennessee athletes or athletes coming from somewhere else.

Ford said a week ago the team came out slow in the previous game and had been doing that in practices. We are not good enough to coast. 

The projections of this team being top 25 assume Perkins is functioning at pre-injury levels.  Perkins is not yet up to speed. He is hitting open 3s but not much beyond that.

Right now, I think the Billikens are as good as Perkins is. We will be inconsistent until Perkins is back to his old self. 

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The Maryland team was really pumped up for some reason. I checked the stats and ours were better than theirs were before the game. Like Wiz said they went to the tails of the distribution and they may be doing it again today against Miami. I have no idea why it happened yesterday, but it is within the realm of possibilities, although there is a very low probability for something like this to happen, even less to happen twice in a row. And, believe me there, it had nothing to do with Tennessee athletes or athletes coming from somewhere else.

No, Old Guy it had everything to do with when the ball was tipped up MD had better players that SLU did.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If you insist OK. If it was the case of some factor been much better than SLU's yesterday, I would vote for their coach being a hell of a lot better than ours.

On that point Old Guy you and I would agree. As a SLU Grad and fan of the Bills for decades I'm afraid with the current resident behind the bench... we seem to be relegated to playing in the minor league of post season play. Only one NCAA appearance in his tenure to date and lest we forget it required a sweep of the A-10 Tourney to make that appearance. OK so I always hope for more from my Alma Mater!

31 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Still scratching my head how yesterday's game was supposed to be an even game...on what planet. We just do not match up with the MD athletes IMHO. 

I don’t think athleticism was the issue yesterday.  I don’t think our defensive system fits the kind of talent we have when it comes to defending the perimeter.  Add that to a game plan to force Maryland to beat you from perimeter that Ford didn’t want to abandoned until it was way too late….. you get what we had yesterday when a team that has been bad perimeter shooting team starts feeling it.  I can’t fault Ford for the game plan.  MD was sooting 25% from 3 going into yesterday and were bad last season.  I don’t think he adjusted before the game was out of hand.