OT: St. Louis City SC Reveals Jersey

HoosierPal

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'll at least get to watch just City games with my basic subscription of apple tv, right? I'll be a big City fan, no doubt, but I'll always be a bigger PL fan than MLS. 

You get 2 City games with the basic Apple TV subscription for the rest on Apple you need to buy MLS Season Pass.  In addition one game will be on Fox and one game will be on FS1.

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I didn't didn't want to start a new thread, so I will put this here.

I am not a huge MLS fan myself, but I have been getting excited about the the debut of City SC.  I kind of hoped it was something maybe me and my son could get in on the ground floor together as fans of the club.  I decided to take a look at the broadcast schedule for City SC today.  It looks like we will be able to watch a grand total of two games this season through traditional TV/cable.  Sort of disappointed but figured I could spend 7 bucks a month during the season to get Apple TV and we could watch the rest of the games.  I was wrong.  That would only get us two more games to watch.  If I want more games to watch I need to pay an additional $15 a month.  

I am not paying $22 a month to watch what is going to be a bottom of the table club in what isn't even in the top 10 leagues in the world.  I understand the league needs money to justify the super inflated franchise fees they have been charging, but this is self defeating.  The league needs to grow their fan base in this country to ever justify what they have charged for a franchise and this isn't going to do it.  Also, there won't be home team broadcast crews for streaming.  Zero games for potential fans to watch with local announcers to sell the product and make you care about the club.

I will stick to caring about Fulham in the EPL for now.  It is cheaper to invest in them.  

I don't know if it will change your mind, but its only $15/mo. Not $22. You don't need AppIe TV Plus for MLS Season Pass. I don't totally disagree with you about putting it behind a paywall, but to watch every Fulham match, you need Peacock ($5 for no ads) for Prem matches and ESPN+ ($10/mo) for the FA Cup. That's not including Paramount Plus ($5) for Champions League if your team is good enough as well as actual cable/satellite/whatever to watch the games on NBC/USA/etc. So even before actual cable its $20/mo for me to watch (nearly) every time Man City plays.

As far as quality, I watch a lot of prem every weekend, and a top half MLS game is like watching Fulham-Bournemouth or something similar. There is a different level of talent floor, but unless you already have a real working knowledge of soccer/tactics/etc you won't notice much of a difference. The difference in my mind is that the team is STL's. Just like the Bills (I'm not an alum), I root for them even though the product isn't as good as say BE, ACC, etc, I root for the Bills bc they are my city's team, among a couple other reasons.

45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am not a huge MLS fan myself, but I have been getting excited about the the debut of City SC.  I kind of hoped it was something maybe me and my son could get in on the ground floor together as fans of the club.  I decided to take a look at the broadcast schedule for City SC today.  It looks like we will be able to watch a grand total of two games this season through traditional TV/cable.  Sort of disappointed but figured I could spend 7 bucks a month during the season to get Apple TV and we could watch the rest of the games.  I was wrong.  That would only get us two more games to watch.  If I want more games to watch I need to pay an additional $15 a month.  

I am not paying $22 a month to watch what is going to be a bottom of the table club in what isn't even in the top 10 leagues in the world.  I understand the league needs money to justify the super inflated franchise fees they have been charging, but this is self defeating.  The league needs to grow their fan base in this country to ever justify what they have charged for a franchise and this isn't going to do it.  Also, there won't be home team broadcast crews for streaming.  Zero games for potential fans to watch with local announcers to sell the product and make you care about the club.

I will stick to caring about Fulham in the EPL for now.  It is cheaper to invest in them.  

When it was on regular cable, not enough people watched for any of the big sports networks to be interested.  Sounds like MLS didn’t have a ton of options prior to the Apple thing. 

It’s $15 a month for the Apple MLS soccer package. No other subscription or cost is required from Apple. 

If one already has an Apple Plus subscription, the cost is $13 a month plus the cost of the the Apple plus subscription. 

Apple plus subscriptions can be shared on 3 devices.

All MLS season ticket holders receive the MLS Season tv package for free, up to 6 people per account.

…………….

Many St. Louis Cardinal and St. Louis Blues fans for example, have not had access to most of their 162 games and 82 games seasons, for many years now. Sinclair distribution is extremely limited. And both MLB and the NHL have many blackouts of games broadcast on other networks, such as MLB, TNT, TBS, etc…Sinclair has a newer $20 a month app for St. Louis Blues games. (It does not include the other teams in the league) Sinclair does not have streaming rights for Cardinal local/regional market MLB games. 

……………

With regards to the Apple MLS deal:

It’s a huge money increase for the league that wasn’t going to be turned down.

The last deal was technically at $90 million per season, which included about $25 million for the rights to the US men’s national team games. Those were sold to Turner. Going from $65 million to nearly $300 million per season,  represents an approximate 450% increase in income.

It’s unfortunate that MLS isn’t included with an Apple Plus subscription, or that it isn’t a smaller $ add with it. But it can be ordered separate. Part of streaming is adding and dropping packages at any time.

And accounts can be shared over multiple devices/locations. For many, it still presents a much better option than Sinclair sports regionals. And no blackouts. 

And for those that care, production quality is expected to be a big upgrade. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Nice! A FFF (fellow Fulham fan)! EPL is definitely a cheaper investment and a more convenient investment (my 2 year-old son and I love watching together on Saturday and Sunday mornings). Cheaper, that is, until your son asks you to take him to a game at Craven Cottage 😆

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Nice! A FFF (fellow Fulham fan)! EPL is definitely a cheaper investment and a more convenient investment (my 2 year-old son and I love watching together on Saturday and Sunday mornings). Cheaper, that is, until your son asks you to take him to a game at Craven Cottage 😆

Is it wrong that I actually care a little tiny bit about soccer after binge-watching all of the seasons of Ted Lasso currently available?

24 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Is it wrong that I actually care a little tiny bit about soccer after binge-watching all of the seasons of Ted Lasso currently available?

Is it wrong that I haven't even finished the first season?

1 hour ago, courtside said:

It’s $15 a month for the Apple MLS soccer package. No other subscription or cost is required from Apple. 

If one already has an Apple Plus subscription, the cost is $13 a month plus the cost of the the Apple plus subscription. 

Apple plus subscriptions can be shared on 3 devices.

All MLS season ticket holders receive the MLS Season tv package for free, up to 6 people per account.

…………….

Many St. Louis Cardinal and St. Louis Blues fans for example, have not had access to most of their 162 games and 82 games seasons, for many years now. Sinclair distribution is extremely limited. And both MLB and the NHL have many blackouts of games broadcast on other networks, such as MLB, TNT, TBS, etc…Sinclair has a newer $20 a month app for St. Louis Blues games. (It does not include the other teams in the league) Sinclair does not have streaming rights for Cardinal local/regional market MLB games. 

……………

With regards to the Apple MLS deal:

It’s a huge money increase for the league that wasn’t going to be turned down.

The last deal was technically at $90 million per season, which included about $25 million for the rights to the US men’s national team games. Those were sold to Turner. Going from $65 million to nearly $300 million per season,  represents an approximate 450% increase in income.

It’s unfortunate that MLS isn’t included with an Apple Plus subscription, or that it isn’t a smaller $ add with it. But it can be ordered separate. Part of streaming is adding and dropping packages at any time.

And accounts can be shared over multiple devices/locations. For many, it still presents a much better option than Sinclair sports regionals. And no blackouts. 

And for those that care, production quality is expected to be a big upgrade. 

I don't get the people that can't figure out how to get Bally's.  It is pretty simple.  I get it through DirecTV with HBO Max thrown in and the rest of basic cable for just over $60 a month.  Just haggle with them and threaten to cancel your service or not sign up for the service.  It is just like SiriusXM. Why is anyone paying more than $5 a month for it?  You can get everything on SiriusXM for $5 a month if you are willing to haggle with them.  

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I don't know if it will change your mind, but its only $15/mo. Not $22. You don't need AppIe TV Plus for MLS Season Pass. I don't totally disagree with you about putting it behind a paywall, but to watch every Fulham match, you need Peacock ($5 for no ads) for Prem matches and ESPN+ ($10/mo) for the FA Cup. That's not including Paramount Plus ($5) for Champions League if your team is good enough as well as actual cable/satellite/whatever to watch the games on NBC/USA/etc. So even before actual cable its $20/mo for me to watch (nearly) every time Man City plays.

As far as quality, I watch a lot of prem every weekend, and a top half MLS game is like watching Fulham-Bournemouth or something similar. There is a different level of talent floor, but unless you already have a real working knowledge of soccer/tactics/etc you won't notice much of a difference. The difference in my mind is that the team is STL's. Just like the Bills (I'm not an alum), I root for them even though the product isn't as good as say BE, ACC, etc, I root for the Bills bc they are my city's team, among a couple other reasons.

I don't mind throwing $5 a month at Peacock because I get other stuff from it.  I am currently locked in at $11 a month for a few more months for a bundle of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+.  I got a Paramount free trial so I could check out 1883, 1923 and Tulsa King.  When I went to cancel before I got billed, they offered me another free month.  Four weeks later when I went to cancel before I got billed again, they offered me another free month.  I am going to see how long I can keep that going.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't mind throwing $5 a month at Peacock because I get other stuff from it.  I am currently locked in at $11 a month for a few more months for a bundle of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+.  I got a Paramount free trial so I could check out 1883, 1923 and Tulsa King.  When I went to cancel before I got billed, they offered me another free month.  Four weeks later when I went to cancel before I got billed again, they offered me another free month.  I am going to see how long I can keep that going.

You are their nightmare customer- someone who is organized and willing to haggle.  I have negotiated with directv for several years now, uverse before that, and get excellent deals on a bundle that includes internet and TV for a great price.   On the other hand a lot of people pay untold months of highway robbery prices because they don't pay any attention to when their contract ends.  Figuring out your TV service has really become a giant pain in the ass in the cord cutting era.

brianstl likes this

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Every time I turn on Peacock I think to myself how is this app still only $5!? Great content in addition to EPL. 

I have absolutely no ability to be confrontational without having a panic attack but I’ve witnessed my brother threaten to cancel both his satellite radio and cable on the phone before and it’s very entertaining. Don’t think his monthly payment has increased in years. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don't get the people that can't figure out how to get Bally's.  It is pretty simple.  I get it through DirecTV with HBO Max thrown in and the rest of basic cable for just over $60 a month.  Just haggle with them and threaten to cancel your service or not sign up for the service.  It is just like SiriusXM. Why is anyone paying more than $5 a month for it?  You can get everything on SiriusXM for $5 a month if you are willing to haggle with them.  

We used to have DirecTV, Dish, Cable, at various locations, sometimes at the same time. I’ll never go back to cable or satellite. I no longer have to deal with that hassle every so many months every year negotiating price, having channels come and go etc…quality of life goes up like a rocket. People have plenty of other bills to frequently negotiate. 

When we started streaming years ago, we thought we were behind the curve a little bit. I spent many years successfully negotiating price and packages to keep the satellite/cable bill in the $50 range each for multiple locations. It was time consuming, stressful, and all of those unnecessary things. I even once had to deal with a massive tree blocking the SW direction a DirecTV satellite requires. 

Is that $60 a month for the highest tier package for DirecTV every month?Different people like and want different channels in my group. So it needs to be a high or highest tier. Do you have to pay more than $60 for their highest tier? And of course that $60 is only capable for just one location.

YouTube TV to name an example, is roughly similar to high tier cable/satellte. $65 a month price for many years now. However cut that cost into half or third for multiple users/locations on one bill. And that’s instantly much less expensive. Many people do that. Unlimited recording included, ease of use, and so on. No hassles every few months. And you don’t have to switch back and forth between streaming and satellite. I believe DirecTV stream starts at I believe $75 (several add on costs for many) but it isn’t as good in my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, courtside said:

We used to have DirecTV, Dish, Cable, at various locations, sometimes at the same time. I’ll never go back to cable or satellite. I no longer have to deal with that hassle every so many months every year negotiating price, having channels come and go etc…quality of life goes up like a rocket. People have plenty of other bills to frequently negotiate. 

When we started streaming years ago, we thought we were behind the curve a little bit. I spent many years successfully negotiating price and packages to keep the satellite/cable bill in the $50 range each for multiple locations. It was time consuming, stressful, and all of those unnecessary things. I even once had to deal with a massive tree blocking the SW direction a DirecTV satellite requires. 

Is that $60 a month for the highest tier package for DirecTV every month?Different people like and want different channels in my group. So it needs to be a high or highest tier. Do you have to pay more than $60 for their highest tier? And of course that $60 is only capable for just one location.

YouTube TV to name an example, is roughly similar to high tier cable/satellte. $65 a month price for many years now. However cut that cost into half or third for multiple users/locations on one bill. And that’s instantly much less expensive. Many people do that. Unlimited recording included, ease of use, and so on. No hassles every few months. And you don’t have to switch back and forth between streaming and satellite. I believe DirecTV stream starts at I believe $75 (several add on costs for many) but it isn’t as good in my opinion. 

I have no idea what my tier is.  I have all channels I want.  All the sports channels and all the regular cable channels. They threw in a subscription to HBO Max, but weirdly not the HBO channels.  You don’t need their streaming service to stream their service.  Their regular service has comes with an app that allows you to stream from phones, tabs and computers.

I, also, don’t know what they advertise the cost of their packages at for new subscribers.  All I know is what I end up getting my cost at after haggling with them when I need to re up.

For me the best part of having YouTube TV is avoiding the customer services talks I use to have with AT&T.

There is not a worse company to deal with than AT&T.

When I used them I would literally prepare for my customer service calls by pouring a stiff drink. I couldn’t handle it without one.

The main reason I stick with YouTube TV now is that I’m to lazy to find a new deal and they haven’t pissed me off enough….yet. 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I have no idea what my tier is.  I have all channels I want.  All the sports channels and all the regular cable channels. They threw in a subscription to HBO Max, but weirdly not the HBO channels.  You don’t need their streaming service to stream their service.  Their regular service has comes with an app that allows you to stream from phones, tabs and computers.

I, also, don’t know what they advertise the cost of their packages at for new subscribers.  All I know is what I end up getting my cost at after haggling with them when I need to re up.

You are paying $60 for probably a lower tier with less/limited channels, at just one location. You also didn’t mention any recording costs/fees. Is that included? And you have to haggle price on a frequent basis. 

41 minutes ago, courtside said:

You are paying $60 for probably a lower tier with less/limited channels, at just one location. You also didn’t mention any recording costs/fees. Is that included? And you have to haggle price on a frequent basis. 

I have a Genie DVR.  My wife, son and I can stream the service anywhere.  We even were able to stream to the TV on our cruise ship during vacation through an HDMI cable.  I seriously think I have have almost every channel you can get except for the movie channels, but I was able to get a subscription to HBO Max last time.  I just checked, it appears I have their ultimate package which is their second highest package. I negotiated this deal when they wanted me to add AT&T fiber internet. Around a year ago.

FYI if you're a paying member of a sports247.com site you get Paramount+ access included.

More sports are available to watch these days it's just complicated as hell to figure out how sometimes. 

To bring this back to AppleTV and MLS, I'm hoping they do some programming to draw fans in.  Think about the impact Drive to Survive had on US viewership of F1. The only problem is behind a pay wall casuals won't happen upon a game. 

11 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

FYI if you're a paying member of a sports247.com site you get Paramount+ access included.

More sports are available to watch these days it's just complicated as hell to figure out how sometimes. 

To bring this back to AppleTV and MLS, I'm hoping they do some programming to draw fans in.  Think about the impact Drive to Survive had on US viewership of F1. The only problem is behind a pay wall casuals won't happen upon a game. 

There’s already a bunch on MLS Season Pass. Plus Lutz from STL City tweeted they’re doing some kind of BTS thing on city rn

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

And now you complaining about the (incorrect) price is making more sense….

I already know from experience trying to haggle with Apple about anything doesn’t work.  I am just not going to continue to add on cost $15 a month to watch a team I hope I can get into.  I got some, what I think are some good deals on somethings, but even the cost from those starts to really add up.  

The loss of the old school cable bundle was the worst thing for sports fans.  

I really wanted to be more into City SC.  It would be cool to be all in at the beginning, but it just isn’t there for me.  I am not really sure why either and this TV stuff isn’t helping ( and that isn’t their fault).  Probably started with trying to follow their academy program which is pretty much impossible to do online.

19 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Sitting sixth right now in points.  Four points out of fifth and Europa.  I know clubs around us have games in hand, but this has been a great return to the Premier.

53 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Sitting sixth right now in points.  Four points out of fifth and Europa.  I know clubs around us have games in hand, but this has been a great return to the Premier.

That Willian goal was a work of art.