Welcome, Bruce Zhang

wgstl

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford talked about Bruce for a little bit on Frank’s show today. He said he is 7’1” and probably weights around 270 lbs. Even though he is large, he is incredibly mobile, has a midrange game and can even shoot 3s. He said he is very strong and the opposition has a hard time getting around him. When Ford saw him play, he fell in love with him immediately.

3 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Is his ceiling a Brad Lohaus type player? I feel if his ceiling were a Yao type player their would have been a recruiting war for his services.

A Yao type player never leaves for the US.

Big Rich and Husak were both 7 foot plus but not listed that way.  Husak was 7 feet when he stepped on campus, by his SR year he was closer to 7'2.

Melvin was a legit 7 footer.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

A Yao type player never leaves for the US.

Big Rich and Husak were both 7 foot plus but not listed that way.  Husak was 7 feet when he stepped on campus, by his SR year he was closer to 7'2.

Melvin was a legit 7 footer.

It is never that simple. There have to be examples of players who went from complete obscurity to the top of the draft over the last 10 years. For example, Thon Maker. It will be interesting to see how much interest he creates this year now that he is signed. 
Also, our coaching staff brought in Traore and then Cisse. Those were pretty obscure players, who are clearly talented. I have to trust that this staff has found a diamond in the rough.

BilliesBy40 likes this

4 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Is his ceiling a Brad Lohaus type player? I feel if his ceiling were a Yao type player their would have been a recruiting war for his services.

Really hard to say what his ceiling is based on the available information. What we know from Ford’s interviews is that he has some skill and is massive.  Keep in mind Ford has overhyped players before, especially internationals, ie Lorentsson. 

Still, I’m fine with the 12th and 13th spots on the roster going to long-shot, diamond in the rough types.  

we’ll see how the rest of the prep season goes for Bruce. I’m certainly not bummed about having a legit 7 footer (assuming he is a legit 7 feet) on the roster

On 11/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, Bills By 40 said:

The no-look, one-hand pass to the shooter in the corner had me 🤤

BINGO--dude's very first game in the US, first game playing with his new team, a bunch of D1 prospects, facing another national prep school program (no slouches), and he dishes SIX assists, the most on the team.... and, by the way, he's 7 feet tall. Are you kidding me?

Coach Grawer should pay a visit and give his take on how this guy stacks up against Steve "Stipo" Stipanovich!!!

6 hours ago, ACE said:

Does anybody know how to follow Zhang and his team? I've searched a bit and haven't found anything.

It's pretty easy to track their top team, but the National team is a lot harder. Best I've found so far is through one of the coaches' Twitter accounts.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's pretty easy to track their top team, but the National team is a lot harder. Best I've found so far is through one of the coaches' Twitter accounts.

Just curious, why do they make it hard to follow their players? Wouldn’t it be in their interest to show what great players they have? Or do they figure their target audience is only the coaching staffs and they already have their attention.

17 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Just curious, why do they make it hard to follow their players? Wouldn’t it be in their interest to show what great players they have? Or do they figure their target audience is only the coaching staffs and they already have their attention.

Man, I don't know. Every program is different. There are schools in the middle of nowhere who put everything on social media or on an official website they keep updated - programs with no college prospects, no outside interest. And there are teams stocked with college prospects playing a national schedule for which virtually no information can be found. Most are somewhere in the middle. I can't explain it. Sometimes players post stuff, but you can't really count on them.

8 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I get the feeling that Bruce may not be at The Skill Factory currently…

There really is no need for him to be there anymore now that he signed.  He already is a high school graduate and can enroll at SLU for the spring semester if he so chooses.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There really is no need for him to be there anymore now that he signed.  He already is a high school graduate and can enroll at SLU for the spring semester if he so chooses.

With Rivera out for the season and Kramer red shirting, we might want to use him sooner rather than later.

brianstl and VeniceMenace like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Nothing better than MBM speculation. Here is mine, he is back in China, training with the men’s national team. American high school is too easy!

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If he does and plays then he will lose a semester of eligibility.  

I would think he would benefit from practicing with the team and getting adjusted to college.  He doesn’t need to play if the staff doesn’t think he would be a benefit to the team’s performance this year.  Even him redshirting is just speculation as stated earlier.  It will all come down to if Bruce wants to start college now or not.  He has options now that he has signed with a program that he didn’t have when he was just trying to get noticed by programs.

JMM28 likes this