Welcome, Bruce Zhang

wgstl

According to a post on a Bradley website they offered him on October 26, 2022.  That post cites another post from September 27, 2022, that says "Not much known about him. Apparently he just arrived at The Skill Factory."

This would suggest that he hasn't been in the country for all that long.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, almaman said:

& Maybe taller then!

Speaking of which, Zhang is our tallest player since ______?

I was thinking Bryce Husak, but he's officially listed at 7-0. We've had several 6-11 players since then but no other 7-footers on this side of 2000. Did we have anyone 7-1 or taller before that?

Bruce has a chance to be really good. This could be a great get. 

Not sure if they'd go down this road, but there is also a chance that he would be eligible at semester break. I doubt he is a guy that is going to do 4 years anyways, so maybe you bring him in at semester and let him get some conference games under his belt. 

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Speaking of which, Zhang is our tallest player since ______?

I was thinking Bryce Husak, but he's officially listed at 7-0. We've had several 6-11 players since then but no other 7-footers on this side of 2000. Did we have anyone 7-1 or taller before that?

I feel like we've had several players who were 7 footers as recruits, but magically shrunk to anywhere from 6-9 to 6-11 based on SLU official measurements.  I'm thinking Brett Thompson, Willie Reed, Rob Loe, and John Manning were all billed as 7-footers at some point.

Going back further all the way to this 1950s on CBB reference here are the tallest I see:

Chris Heinrich 6-11

Melvin Robinson 7-0

Rich Niemann 7-0

No idea if those are accurate or if anyone is missing.  Quite possible that if Zhang is actually listed at 7-1, he would be the tallest player (as listed) in program history.

21 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I feel like we've had several players who were 7 footers as recruits, but magically shrunk to anywhere from 6-9 to 6-11 based on SLU official measurements.  I'm thinking Brett Thompson, Willie Reed, Rob Loe, and John Manning were all billed as 7-footers at some point.

Going back further all the way to this 1950s on CBB reference here are the tallest I see:

Chris Heinrich 6-11

Melvin Robinson 7-0

Rich Niemann 7-0

No idea if those are accurate or if anyone is missing.  Quite possible that if Zhang is actually listed at 7-1, he would be the tallest player (as listed) in program history.

David King was also listed at 7-0 there.

I don't remember Reed or Thompson ever being listed as 7-footers but pretty sure Manning was. Maybe just as a recruit.

So if Sports Reference is correct, Zhang would be the tallest player in SLU history.

He'd also be the first player from China - and from Asia, for that matter.

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He has one thing that can't be taught - 7ft 1"  He looks smooth in the twitter video but all highlight clips do.  To sign another Big with experience will be a lot of players tied up in one position.  Maybe they figure Vice will be a 4.

I think they are projecting Vice to the 4. I wouldn’t have thought that very likely until we saw the football video.

24 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Those clips make Zhang look amazing. Will just have to see how good he is when he gets here! But, he definitely has good ball skills for 7’1”.

The no-look, one-hand pass to the shooter in the corner had me 🤤