GDT - Maul Memphis

Didn't realize Bayer Leverkusen 04 was playing a friendly in STL.   VfB and Köln are playing in Austin this weekend. 

Must be a coordinated effort by Bundesliga to increase US exposure.  Which is good because you can watch every game on ESPN+.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Didn't realize Bayer Leverkusen 04 was playing a friendly in STL.   VfB and Köln are playing in Austin this weekend. 

Must be a coordinated effort by Bundesliga to increase US exposure.  Which is good because you can watch every game on ESPN+.

I think this was more from Lutz than anything.  

12 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

Pleasant surprise Yuri Collins with 21 although he started a little rough at the free through line. 

I know I'm nitpicking but he had 22 points and went 2-2 in his first trip to the line, then 0-2, then made his next 10. 

26 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I was in the concourse during halftime, and when I arrived back at my seat, my cousin told me that the contestant made the putt for the halftime putting contest they do every game. I told her that's fun and didn't think anything of it... only to find out this morning that it was Callum Hudson Odoi LOL

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I was in the concourse during halftime, and when I arrived back at my seat, my cousin told me that the contestant made the putt for the halftime putting contest they do every game. I told her that's fun and didn't think anything of it... only to find out this morning that it was Callum Hudson Odoi LOL

Ya I had totally missed all of that. I was with someone who was like, "oh he must be like semi pro because I've never heard of him or that team", was like big yikes on that. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perkins will be fine, a lot of factors added up to what we saw last night. Working his way back to full strength against a Memphis team that was playing defense with the strategy to constantly foul and make the officials decide where they were going to draw the line. Very Shaka/Havoc eque. Memphis is also incredibly athletic and quick, maybe not the best situation for a player who could be lacking explosiveness.

This was an important step in his road back. He got knocked around, challenged at the rim and sent to the floor. He learned that his body is still resilient, that every time he lands awkwardly isn't going to send him back to the injured list. If nothing else he re-gained some confidence in his repaired leg.

Great post- out of likes- which is shocking after a Memphis win. 

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think Bayer also wanted them here too, with St Louis being their North American Headquarters (formerly Monsanto). I wonder if Bayer is going to be a sponsor of City SC. The naming rights for the stadium are open after all.

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Parker took good open shots.  But they weren’t smart shots.  And open shot in the front half of the shot clock isn’t smart when there aren’t and rebounders there.  That was my take away from his shot selection.  Hopefully he learns this.  Also I think his defense was better than expected.  I too think TJ should have played a little more.  Would of liked to see him when they were pressing.  

I thought use of our personnel was very wise. I hope to see Parker more same for Hargrove but not at the expense of taking Jimmerson out. Perkins will be fine for second semester- I would save him for games not so thug like.

Parker has a beautiful jump shot and quietly can make his way for layups. 

Uri Collins needs help- just someone to pay attention in case he needs to pass or pass the ball back if being pressed. It was a good test VCU and some others probably took notes on game films.

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

I thought Yuri played less minutes than the stat sheet showed 39.  Somehow coach Ford needs to find more minutes of rest for Yuri.

There were a ton of stoppages in the 2nd half with timeouts and FTs.  It didn't seem like Yuri was gassed at any point.  When he briefly came out of the game in the 2nd half, SLU fouled on a 3 pointer and there was also a time out.  He got less than 20 seconds of rest in game time, but it was a several minutes in real time.

Did anyone else find it odd how often the Memphis entire team would go to the bench for a quasi time-out after a foul was called that sent a guy to the FT line?  SLU did this once in the 1st half and it was weird.  Memphis did it basically the entire rest of the game.  Our FT shooter would be standing at the line and the ref is holding the ball waiting for the defenders to line up while they're all over by the bench.  Not sure why the refs allowed it to continue.  Tell them to cut it out and if it continues, you just give the shooter the ball & call them for lane violations if they cross inside the 3pt arc after.

-who saw a game with Momo playing in the first half that we win? he was okay

-some questionned the effectiveness of the 'other' defenses we played, I really like the concept and would like to see it a bit more, makes preparing for us consist of something else

-we scored 90 points against a good team with JPerk scoring 2, my gosh CFord has options

-the small lineup was neat and if TJ (who has 'one error and get yanked' stamped on him which I don't like) would be in on that I wouldn't mind seeing a press if we can get it to be a positive

-Javon Pickett is a great addition to the team 

-I thought the crowd was more than 7925 but I hope they come back and bring some friends

-not sure if Memphis saw Maul in this thread title and thought that would help them win but they were physical

20 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I thought the crowd was more than 7925 but I hope they come back and bring some friends

I bet that was "paid" attendance.   no way there was anywhere close to 3,000 open seats.   so there probably was at least 1-2000 freebies of some sort.  the place wasnt filled, but imo there wasnt more than 1000 - 1500 open seats. 

AGB91, rgbilliken and Adman like this

59 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-not sure if Memphis saw Maul in this thread title and thought that would help them win but they were physical

I was very surprised no one fouled out last night. They had 3 players with 4 going into the last minute.

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I bet that was "paid" attendance.   no way there was anywhere close to 3,000 open seats.   so there probably was at least 1-2000 freebies of some sort.  the place wasnt filled, but imo there wasnt more than 1000 - 1500 open seats. 

Fair point but why would you only release sold tix when you are trying to hype your program.  If you show how many walked in the door for whatever reason that makes you look better?

willie likes this