GDT - Maul Memphis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perkins will be fine, a lot of factors added up to what we saw last night. Working his way back to full strength against a Memphis team that was playing defense with the strategy to constantly foul and make the officials decide where they were going to draw the line. Very Shaka/Havoc eque. Memphis is also incredibly athletic and quick, maybe not the best situation for a player who could be lacking explosiveness.

You really have no factual basis for this statement about Perkins. All we know is that he did not play against UMSL, did well against Murray state, played 30 min with a 21 pt score but only 1 rebound. He did poorly against Memphis, playing 17 min with only 2 pts and one rebound. Perkins performance this season has gone from pretty good to pretty bad in the two games he has played. He might improve over the season, but he might not do so. At this time his performance is inconsistent. We need to see what happens.

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Perkins will be fine, a lot of factors added up to what we saw last night. Working his way back to full strength against a Memphis team that was playing defense with the strategy to constantly foul and make the officials decide where they were going to draw the line. Very Shaka/Havoc eque. Memphis is also incredibly athletic and quick, maybe not the best situation for a player who could be lacking explosiveness.

This was an important step in his road back. He got knocked around, challenged at the rim and sent to the floor. He learned that his body is still resilient, that every time he lands awkwardly isn't going to send him back to the injured list. If nothing else he re-gained some confidence in his repaired leg.

very good post above.   i totally agree.   just not the right time to turn to perkins yet.  plus we protected him for "another day"   as mean as hell as memphis was, i am surprised we never had any injuries last night.  that said, i think the billikens did a fine job of pushing back appropriately.  gotta take a stand at some point.   and 05 is right, memphis was going to push, pull, bit, scratch, kick trip, etc until the refs indeed drew the line.   i personally didnt want perkins involved.   

Adman and BuiltFordBills like this

9 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

I may be in the minority here, but I would prefer TJ over Sincere. I get the at the rim buckets, but every time Parker took a shot, I got Miles Reynolds flashbacks. I'm sure he can shoot, but I don't think he should be having almost as many attempts as Gibson. 

i think we saw parker's reputation of all offense and no defense play out last night.   he is a splendid player on the offensive end.  and as wiz stated in his pre and post game comments, part of our plan was likely to wear memphis down.   i think parker was better suited to doing that then hargrove.   hargrove has lifetime highlight reel moments, but that is exactly what they seem to be imo, moments.   he is actually a power forward in a shooting guard's body.   little if any ball skills and a tendency to relax at the wrong moments on defense.  but dont get me wrong.   man the guy can sky.   

42 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This was an important step in his road back. He got knocked around, challenged at the rim and sent to the floor. He learned that his body is still resilient, that every time he lands awkwardly isn't going to send him back to the injured list. If nothing else he re-gained some confidence in his repaired leg.

About the Memphis strategy, the robot program that writes ESPN recaps noted that Billikens scored their last field goal (Collins three-pointer) with more than 7 minutes left in the game. The rest of our points were all from the foul line. Memphis evidently decided they would always foul instead of allowing any baskets. Good thing we shot well from the line during those final minutes! Anyhow, thanks to the robot for a good observation. Maybe we needed different approach to keep scoring despite that intense defensive challenge.

9 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I thought Parker was solid on the defensive end last night. He's light years better than TJ on the offensive end after just three games. Parker will be a force come conference play.

The difference in his defense just from preseason is a pretty stark improvement 

12 minutes ago, gabriel said:

I thought Parker was solid on the defensive end last night. He's light years better than TJ on the offensive end after just three games. Parker will be a force come conference play.

I wouldn't say light years - TJ has more than held his own on offense. He obviously can't create like Parker, but his 3-point shot has been pretty consistent for a couple seasons now, and we all know he's an asset in transition.

These two guys are asked to play different roles on the court, I'm not really sure why they're being compared. TJ comes in to replace Pickett/when the bigs are in foul trouble, and Parker was able to get a couple buckets while both Jimerson and Perkins were on the bench. 

I really wanted that transition 3 from Yuri to Parker to fall late.. we were feeling it then. I've been really impressed with Parker and could easily see him average 15 ppg before his time is done at SLU. 

gabriel likes this

Perkins clearly hasn't regained his lift off the ground or his ability to make quick cuts.  I see what Coach meant by saying he's 70% now and they expect the 'ol Perk back in about a month.  He can be a stationary jump shooter and get 20 against bad defense but we'll have to rely on Parker more in the short-term against legit defense.  Which benefits us in the long-term.

SShoe and rgbilliken like this

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

"Delay of game" when the clock was stopped. Call it a flop if that's what you want to call it but it literally could not possibly have delayed the game. That call infuriated me. 

I thought the official saw some contact that wasn't there, saw his error when he went to the monitors and called delay of game to save face.

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think we saw parker's reputation of all offense and no defense play out last night.   he is a splendid player on the offensive end.  and as wiz stated in his pre and post game comments, part of our plan was likely to wear memphis down.   i think parker was better suited to doing that then hargrove.   hargrove has lifetime highlight reel moments, but that is exactly what they seem to be imo, moments.   he is actually a power forward in a shooting guard's body.   little if any ball skills and a tendency to relax at the wrong moments on defense.  but dont get me wrong.   man the guy can sky.   

i dont remember any juco that didnt take awhile to get going after to moving to this level, give parker some time and he will be a fine player

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I thought Yuri played less minutes than the stat sheet showed 39.  Somehow coach Ford needs to find more minutes of rest for Yuri.

I thought Hargrove earned more playing time than 9 minutes last night.

Our team is deep enough when 1 player struggles, Perkins, there are others such as Parker, Hargrove and Thatch that can pick them up.  Scoring 90 against a good team when Perkins only scores 2 is something special.

This team must win 1 of these neutral court games I expect that from this team coach Ford has assembled, no excuses.

Ford said after the game that the plan was to leave him in, but move him off the point to get him the rest he needs. He referenced his senior year at Kentucky where he played 39 minutes a game and that’s how they gave him rest. Take a few offensive possessions off, but no rest on defense.  

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hey @Old guyYou coming at someone for not basing something in facts is hilarious. Spot the lie in my analysis. You can't.

after many many years..... for whatever reason, this was the straw that broke me..... old guy is now on my ignore list.

Want to speed up the offense, drive the lane, and draw fouls? Play Parker.

Want to go a little bigger, add a little more energy on defense, and spread the floor a little more (to make space for soul-crushing alley-oops)? Play Hargrove.

There's a use for either in any game depending on what the other team is doing. Them splitting 20-25 minutes in different ways seems to be working pretty well so far.

14 minutes ago, Compton said:

Want to speed up the offense, drive the lane, and draw fouls? Play Parker.

Want to go a little bigger, add a little more energy on defense, and spread the floor a little more (to make space for soul-crushing alley-oops)? Play Hargrove.

There's a use for either in any game depending on what the other team is doing. Them splitting 20-25 minutes in different ways seems to be working pretty well so far.

I'm not sure there's a style we can't adjust to, save for maybe the Princeton offense and even then we have some great cutters and passers.

cgeldmacher likes this

34 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i dont remember any juco that didnt take awhile to get going after to moving to this level, give parker some time and he will be a fine player

Agreed. Parker will be a star by next season. I expect a similar trajectory to what we saw from Perkins with maybe a slightly lower ceiling. Parker is a born scorer and will do so in bulk once he is acclimated to the D1 game.

3 hours ago, 757billiken said:

I may be in the minority here, but I would prefer TJ over Sincere. I get the at the rim buckets, but every time Parker took a shot, I got Miles Reynolds flashbacks. I'm sure he can shoot, but I don't think he should be having almost as many attempts as Gibson. 

Parker took good open shots.  But they weren’t smart shots.  An open shot in the front half of the shot clock isn’t smart when there aren’t any rebounders there.  That was my take away from his shot selection.  Hopefully he learns this.  Also I think his defense was better than expected.  I too think TJ should have played a little more.  Would of liked to see him when they were pressing.  

billikenbill likes this