GDT - Maul Memphis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, maverick said:

For those at the game, what was your take on Perkins? Hard to tell from TV because you can't see him except for when eh has the ball.

I thought when he walked off he was noticeably favoring R leg.

Didnt seem to get much elevation on his drives to the basket, looked bad on the shot where he got stuffed going to his left.

My observations 

Seemed like Perkins was having trouble planting on both pull ups, as well as cutting.  It appeared that he wanted to be able to do everything he could prior to injury, but its definitely not there yet. We got good minutes though from six through ten and it will go down as a good win. 

39 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Great crowd but a lot of people left around the 4:30 mark.  Not for sure what that was all about.

They thought the game was as good as won because we were well ahead of Memphis at the time and they did not want to deal with  the crowds at the parking lot. They were wrong of course, we came close to have an unhappy ending tonight. But wound up winning 90-84.

A win is a win, this one was 3 pts over the Vegas line. It could be said that we could have lost this game because the pressure on the other team came off in the last 5 min or so and they came within a close distance of turning the game over to their side. Again we won.

As far as I saw, Perkins was not playing well, he played few minutes and did not score much.

Just now, Old guy said:

They thought the game was as good as won because we were well ahead of Memphis at the time and they did not want to deal with  the crowds at the parking lot. They were wrong of course, we came close to have an unhappy ending tonight. But wound up winning 90-84.

A win is a win, this one was 3 pts over the Vegas line. It could be said that we could have lost this game because the pressure on the other team came off in the last 5 min or so and they came within a close distance of turning the game over to their side. Again we won.

As far as I saw, Perkins was not playing well, he played few minutes and did not score much.

Any thoughts on Yuri? I thought he was ok. 

HenryB, CenHudDude, Zink and 3 others like this

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Tonight was a huge wake up call of what Perkins is.  Even when he’s off, he still makes it easier for everyone else. A bad JP is still Better than no JP, which last year was 

Agreed! At first, I was worried that Perkins was hurt (when he didn’t play, down the stretch).

He forced several drives (in the 2nd half), trying to make something happen, which lead to wild shots or turnovers. Probably feeling a bit of pressure (only having 2 points at that time), which is understandable.

I’m happy that Coach Ford didn’t feel pressure to keep Perk out there. We probably don’t win this game, with Perkins playing down the stretch. He just needs time. He’ll be a beast by conference tournament time.

Having said that, it feels great to know that we can beat a good team, even when Perkins has an off-night.

I feel like we’re a matchup nightmare for any team.  Ford just has to determine a team’s weakness.  Not good add guarding the three point line - we have guys for that. Not good guarding bigs inside - we have guys for that.  Not good against a team that plays uptempo - we have guys for that.  Not good against teams that play a physical  game - we have guys for that.  Not very deep and can get worn out be a team who is deep and will run you all over the floor - we have a whole team for that.

50 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Any thoughts on Yuri? I thought he was ok. 

Yuri had a very good game. He came close to his standard performance in field goal shooting with an FG/FGA pf 0.4000, a lot better than what he did in the game with Ellisville. The reason he got 22 pts in this game is that he made 12 out of 14 free throws (FT/FTA of 0.8571) which was really good. His TOs were down to 2 which was very good after the prior game. He played 39 min.

Perkins played 17 minutes, got 2 pts (FG/FGA 0.2500), had 1 rebound and 1 personal foul. This is nowhere close to the preseason expectations for Perkins.

As a whole the team played very well, it was a very tough and rapid moving game against a really tough opponent. We did win and we did win over the Vegas line. We did fine.

2 hours ago, maverick said:

For those at the game, what was your take on Perkins? Hard to tell from TV because you can't see him except for when eh has the ball.

He's injured. Slow, total liability on defense and moving the ball. You could find a million juco guys that can move the ball better with Perkins in his current state. Perkins can spot up and shoot, not much else. That worked vs slow unathletic and untalented Evansville, not vs an athletic, sizable, and aggressive Memphis.

Hes about 40% there. That injury remains serious. He has a clearly visible limp while moving. He is such a naturally gifted player, watching him injured out there is painful. He wants to play and produce.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Yuri had a very good game. He came close to his standard performance in field goal shooting with an FG/FGA pf 0.4000, a lot better than what he did in the game with Ellisville. The reason he got 22 pts in this game is that he made 12 out of 14 free throws (FT/FTA of 0.8571) which was really good. His TOs were down to 2 which was very good after the prior game. He played 39 min.

Perkins played 17 minutes, got 2 pts (FG/FGA 0.2500), had 1 rebound and 1 personal foul. This is nowhere close to the preseason expectations for Perkins.

As a whole the team played very well, it was a very tough and rapid moving game against a really tough opponent. We did win and we did win over the Vegas line. We did fine.

you watched that game and the first stat you brought up is his field goal percentage?!?! he led us in every single way last night, I would grade his performance as a solid A. It honestly felt like his national coming out party.

dlarry likes this

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Fricking amazing we could get leverkusen soccer team so involved tonight 

I saw them after the game signing autographs for fans.

I thought Yuri played less minutes than the stat sheet showed 39.  Somehow coach Ford needs to find more minutes of rest for Yuri.

I thought Hargrove earned more playing time than 9 minutes last night.

Our team is deep enough when 1 player struggles, Perkins, there are others such as Parker, Hargrove and Thatch that can pick them up.  Scoring 90 against a good team when Perkins only scores 2 is something special.

This team must win 1 of these neutral court games I expect that from this team coach Ford has assembled, no excuses.

billiken_roy likes this

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I thought Yuri played less minutes than the stat sheet showed 39.  Somehow coach Ford needs to find more minutes of rest for Yuri.

I thought Hargrove earned more playing time than 9 minutes last night.

Our team is deep enough when 1 player struggles, Perkins, there are others such as Parker, Hargrove and Thatch that can pick them up.  Scoring 90 against a good team when Perkins only scores 2 is something special.

This team must win 1 of these neutral court games I expect that from this team coach Ford has assembled, no excuses.

Kind of hard when Yuri puts himself back into the game.

1 hour ago, gabriel said:

you watched that game and the first stat you brought up is his field goal percentage?!?! he led us in every single way last night, I would grade his performance as a solid A. It honestly felt like his national coming out party.

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Of course he was better than OK, I’m just trying to get a feel of where OG thinks of Yuri.

Gabriel you missed my first post about the game which is below. The post you are quoting is my second post in which I was answering the question wgstl asked about my first post specifically about Yuri's performance. My first post is below:

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Great crowd but a lot of people left around the 4:30 mark.  Not for sure what that was all about.