Harry Rogers

thetorch

My first Billiken game was a thriller in the old MVC Billikens versus Louisville.  Thinking Rogers, Niemann and "Ghost" Leonard were the stars (long time ago, could be wrong on Niemann, but Rogers was there for sure).  Great player.  Skinny guy, reminds me of Perkins, just a pure scorer.

willie likes this

37 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

My first Billiken game was a thriller in the old MVC Billikens versus Louisville.  Thinking Rogers, Niemann and "Ghost" Leonard were the stars (long time ago, could be wrong on Niemann, but Rogers was there for sure).  Great player.  Skinny guy, reminds me of Perkins, just a pure scorer.

I was at that game, harry rogers made me Billikens fan 

55 minutes ago, willie said:

Torch. Thanks for doing this. Brought back great memories. Harry not being on the All Century Team is a travesty. I might argue that he had the best Billiken career for anyone not named Easy Ed. 

Agreed.  There is a good argument that he is the 2nd best Billiken of all time.  There is no argument saying he is out of the top 5.

I don't want to denigrate Joe Wiley, he's supported the program for a long time after his playing career.  WIley gets a lot more pub from fans, media & the university than some of the other players of that era who were just as good if not better.  Rogers and to a lesser extent Jimmie Irving are overlooked and not recognized by the regular fan because of this.  Irving was just as good as Wiley, Rogers was much better.  Irving is at every game.  Rogers has been mostly non existent except for showing up for reunion games and such but he was an assistant coach for the team and was a long time area HS and college asst in the 70s and 80s.  It was most evident in the fan voting for the All Century team how unappreciated he is.  He should have been on everyone's ballot, just a no brainer.  Some of the other players, which just didn't belong and were in just because of recency bias or fans were basing their vote on what they did after their playing career.

AGB91 likes this

6 hours ago, willie said:

Torch. Thanks for doing this. Brought back great memories. Harry not being on the All Century Team is a travesty. I might argue that he had the best Billiken career for anyone not named Easy Ed. 

I second this 🤔👍🏀🍷👏

AGB91 likes this