GDT - Eliminate Evansville

Fraz

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

To your point...the team is rated F in both steals and forcing opp TOs.

As for The Bills turning the ball over they currently are at a very nice B+.

Is this concerning?  Through 2 games we do look a lot less disruptive, not in passing lanes, less tipped balls, etc. compared to past teams.  I realize it’s small sample size and the fact we’re taking care of the ball cancels this out to a certain extent, but I think I’d like to see more disruption and forced TOs.

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

Love is blind. We are not going to beat Memphis when someone who controls game play for the team, shoots 0.285., and has 5 turnovers out of 12 in the game. The numbers are there.

What if, and hear me out, the player who controls the game goes for 14 assists and No TO, would that make you feel better?

also I didn’t take OG as a fan of the show love is blind. Mind blown. My guess is you’re an Anthony fan?

rgbilliken likes this

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Random guess with no inside info - Could it have been John Bol (former CBC guy)?  Marcus Wilson who is now an AC at Evansville was is/his guardian.  Bol is now at Sunrise Christian in Wichita, KS, but maybe he came “home” for a visit with Wilson?  Probably unlikely and even if he was at the game I’d guess it was more to see Wilson than visit SLU.  

The 7 footer sitting 1st row behind our bench was Zhang.

27 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Is this concerning?  Through 2 games we do look a lot less disruptive, not in passing lanes, less tipped balls, etc. compared to past teams.  I realize it’s small sample size and the fact we’re taking care of the ball cancels this out to a certain extent, but I think I’d like to see more disruption and forced TOs.

What’s our grade on opponent shooting percentage? Gambling for steals isn’t always productive. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Random guess with no inside info - Could it have been John Bol (former CBC guy)?  Marcus Wilson who is now an AC at Evansville was is/his guardian.  Bol is now at Sunrise Christian in Wichita, KS, but maybe he came “home” for a visit with Wilson?  Probably unlikely and even if he was at the game I’d guess it was more to see Wilson than visit SLU.  

Thanks for the clarification. Bol was the kid wearing the "colorful" clothing, I guess. He was also very very tall and being introduced around.

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

-CFord has said multiple times that they keep stats on deflections so would think they are aware

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

What’s our grade on opponent shooting percentage? Gambling for steals isn’t always productive. 

-good point but I guess CFord wants to see them get less shots by having deflections, best of both worlds

As to Yurimania’s missed shots. Have any of you guys knocking him played ball and had nights where they just weren’t dropping? Majerus once said he never pulled a guy for missing good shots,  but if he took a bad shot or two, he gets the hook. Yurimania wasn’t taking bad shots they just didn’t drop, Jeesh, give the guy a break. 

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As to Yurimania’s missed shots. Have any of you guys knocking him played ball and had nights where they just weren’t dropping? Majerus once said he never pulled a guy for missing good shots,  but if he took a bad shot or two, he gets the hook. Yurimania wasn’t taking bad shots they just didn’t drop, Jeesh, give the guy a break. 

There's one person knocking him and there are others who are saying maybe he needs to work on streaks where he falls in love with one thing. Yuri is not a player I want trying to shoot his way out of a shooting cold streak. That's Jimerson. I want him to make a sick play to find our wings or bigs wide open looks. When he's not shooting well, I want him to get great looks for our guys shooting well.

The person knocking him doesn't know how redshirting works, was absolutely sure that Yuri didn't start the exhibition, and has made wild accusation based on absolutely nothing. Context is key.

billikenbill and gobillsgo like this

37 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I am guessing a much stronger relationship to a winning team keeping their opponents shooting % lower than the relationship of a winning team to number of deflections, tips, etc - do you know?

Low  opp shooting % has a strong correlation to winning.  But yesterday in the 1st half we saw that TO's can cancel that advantage out by giving the opp extra shots. Steals and forcing opp TOs can even out  the TO ratio.  When you are turning over the ball a lot you have 2 choices...1) to force opp TOs and create  steals  to even things out   or   2) stop turning the ball over.    In yesterday's 2nd half and the 1st game we chose #2.    So far that seems to work for this team.

56 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Low  opp shooting % has a strong correlation to winning.  But yesterday in the 1st half we saw that TO's can cancel that advantage out by giving the opp extra shots. Steals and forcing opp TOs can even out  the TO ratio.  When you are turning over the ball a lot you have 2 choices...1) to force opp TOs and create  steals  to even things out   or   2) stop turning the ball over.    In yesterday's 2nd half and the 1st game we chose #2.    So far that seems to work for this team.

For comparison, our opponent fg% for last season was 42.4%, through the first two games it is at 35.2%. The leader last year was Houston at 37.1%. Probably a better measurement  is points per possession. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yuri is not a player I want trying to shoot his way out of a shooting cold streak. That's Jimerson. I want him to make a sick play to find our wings or bigs wide open looks. When he's not shooting well, I want him to get great looks for our guys shooting well.  

I agree with the above.

I think a lot of the problem again goes back to running the damn clock down.   His best ball is in the open court.

Old guy likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with the above.

I think a lot of the problem again goes back to running the damn clock down.   His best ball is in the open court.

I agree about him finding guys in the open court , but most of Yurimania’s missed shots last night were open mid range jumpers, ie good looks. They just didn’t fall. Do you want to tell him NOT to take open looks? If so, you’ll destroy his confidence and take away another offensive weapon. We want opponents to worry that he can be a scorer. That makes it so much easier for him to find someone with a better look. Some on here think he’s a D Polk clone and can’t hit the ocean from the beach. He’s far from that. 

dennis_w likes this

8 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

1.  Need to go deep in the bench, yes.  I wasn’t a fan of the wholesale sub at the time.  Might as well stop the game and tip it off again.

It wasn’t a five man substitution at that moment.  It happened over a few substitutions.  However, I agree with you.  If Yuri is going to sit to rest for awhile, we should set things up so that at least three of the other starters are in at that point.  We should give the backup PG a chance.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

I agree about him finding guys in the open court , but most of Yurimania’s missed shots last night were open mid range jumpers, ie good looks. They just didn’t fall. Do you want to tell him NOT to take open looks? If so, you’ll destroy his confidence and take away another offensive weapon. We want opponents to worry that he can be a scorer. That makes it so much easier for him to find someone with a better look. Some on here think he’s a D Polk clone and can’t hit the ocean from the beach. He’s far from that. 

no i want him to make shots.   and yes if it is in the flow and there are not perkins or jimerson or okoro's open he should shoot it.   but yuri is not the main shot maker on this team.   sometimes it appears he is the whole team and imo this team wont be as good if he is trying to be more than the point guard.

almaman and Old guy like this

7 hours ago, slu72 said:

On point.

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

You keep extrapolating reasonable concern into comparisons with Dwayne Polk. Nobody....I repeat NOBODY is comparing him to Dwayne Polk. You're creating a level of criticism of Yuri that simply isn't there.

slufan13 likes this

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You keep extrapolating reasonable concern into comparisons with Dwayne Polk. Nobody....I repeat NOBODY is comparing him to Dwayne Polk. You're creating a level of criticism of Yuri that simply isn't there.

I believe that’s the first post where I’ve ever compared D Polk to Yurimania. But I’m old and may have forgot. If you could show me the others I’d appreciate it.