GDT - Eliminate Evansville

Fraz

I thought Yuri took the shot he should have taken.  As pointed out, they were not falling.  He did hit his biggest shot for a three.  When we were struggling I thought the wrong guys were taking shots.  And our first half defense was questionable.  Second half was much better but it seemed Evansville ran out of gas.  They might have gone five about four or five respectable players deep.

Okoro set a career high with three assists.  Collins did his assist thing.  Pickett posted another double-double.  Jimersopn and Perkins scored.  We forced a ton of bad shots second half of the second half.  Boba faltered in the second half (as a former walk-on should), Smith was shut down, and Spinelli was terrible.  Talent eventually won out.  There was a time we couldn't get over the hump but once (57 to 55 at the 9 minute mark) we did it was a thing of beauty.  It was a 26 to 10 closing run with Evansville scoring six in the last minute of play.  

Game had the making of a trap game but we survived.  Attendance looked good.  Student section looked good.  Tuesday should be interesting.  

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, Perkins and yuri missed a few easy shots that they will make next time. We also had a bad case of butterfingers in the first half. Both of those will change, and quickly.  

one could say we likely had a little too much focus on the potential T25 game Tuesday. 

Bills By 40 likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I was fine with Yuri’s shot selection. All of his misses were in and out. They would rattle around then roll out. He wasn’t missing by much. The TOs I’d need to relook at. I think at least a few of them were catchable balls that other players muffed. 

Regardless he is the straw that stirs the drink.

No kidding, it’s not like he was throwing up bricks and air balls.  At Belk Arena (world’s loosest rims) he’d have had 25+ pts along with the assists. Yuri was fine. 

My main concern is one that I’ve had in previous seasons as well-  when the game gets close we immediately slow it down, which is not our game.  Many of Yuri’s attempted 3s were end of shot clock situations.   We are at our best when pushing tempo constantly. Already this season we’ve seen multiple stretches where we can score 9+ pts in under a minute. With Yuri’s tempo and ability to find the open shooter, along with the shooting ability of Gibson and Perkins (along with others), and guys like Pickett/Thatch filling lanes and taking it to the hole, there aren’t many teams in the country that can hang with us when we play fast. 

To Ford’s credit, it seems like he is either recognizing this more, or is just outright more committed to playing with tempo this year-  there were many situations he was screaming at the team to push it in transition. 

one final point-  my brother and I agreed our full court “press” was one of the least effective presses we’ve ever seen at any level of basketball….  On multiple occasions they could simply throw the ball to half court near either sideline, and then had a 2 on 1 situation. If a press is that easy to break, you shouldn’t be using it. It needs a lot of work, pressing is huge for playing at the pace we want. 

overall though, we played probably something like our B- game (I’d have to defer to Wiz) and still won by 18.  A friend at the game made a good point- not a bad thing to be tested a bit prior to our tough upcoming schedule. Evansville punched us in the mouth and we responded in the right way. 

laker119 likes this

iirc jimerson started the murray st game 1-9 from three, should he not shoot anymore?the criticism in the past was yuri needed to shoot more because the opponents were sitting on his passes, the board will have an historic meltdown after the first loss considering the mindset after a 2-0 start. enjoy the games quit picking nits

slu72 likes this

I have a different take than some about what happened last night.

1. I agree, that it looked bad to be up by 14 and then losing at halftime.  I was in the car listening to Rammer and Earl at the point when we were up 14.  Rammer pointed out that just after the moment when we were up 14, we had five different guys in the game than our five starters.  We were already ten guys deep into the game at like the 4 1/2 minute mark. If we want to play up tempo, and I know Ford and a lot of guys on this board want us too, you have to go deep into your bench.  We will sacrifice a bit by doing so.  The reward comes later in the game when the other team is spent, and we pull away for a victory.  If we want to play uptempo, and we should, we will have to accept the lulls in the game when the starting five aren’t all in the game together.

2. Yuri’s style of play results in a lot of assists, but also comes with turnovers.  You have to accept the bad with the good if you like what he does.  I think, maybe I’m wrong, that in addition to leading the nation in assists last year, he also lead in turnovers.  He won’t have games like the UMSL game against D1 competition.  If you like what he does, you have to accept some turnovers.

3. Yuri taking shots opens up the rest of what he does.  He has to take shots, many of which he might miss, to keep the defense off balance so that he can then get the assists.  Let’s not sweat his taking a few more shots than we would like when the result is an 18 point win and him getting 13 assists.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The problem with our game threads is, since Yuri is the greatest assist man in college basketball, they will all become a referendum on Yuri's play.  That seems incredibly short-sighted.  You're likely watching the best Billiken point guard you will ever see.  Enjoy it.

From a statistical standpoint I’d agree.  In my opinion, NCAA tournament games are where “best point guards in the history of the program” are determined 

“Mitchell, from the parking lot!” might have been the highest feeling I’ve ever had as a fan.  We were disrespected and everyone was fawning over Will Barton-led Memphis NBA players team and we worked them because Kwam led us. Then we hung with #1 seed MSU.  

Kwam over Yuri still in my view until we see our March performance this year 

What I love most is I don’t have a favorite or even five favorites in my billiken fandom-( over thirty years 😜

we have had so many phenomenal memorable players that I just can’t replace when a new amazing player comes in… I could never remove rob loe, or Brian Conklin, or kwamain, French, claggett, Hughes, kevin lisch, Liddell, jett, highmark, Goodwin, Donnie Dobbs, Bonner- so many more that i could spend all day thinking and reminiscing on.

AND many of them are just great people on and off the court and I love it. 

BUT- every one of them had their faults that would really ruin a game or two during their SLU career- and people on the board would want to bench them, reduce play time- belch and moan about them-

and I can’t say I specifically remember any of those bad games as much I remember the great ones. 
calm down- enjoy the ride- truth be told they are (more than likely) doing a better job than most of us MBMs could do. It’s a W- you could lose sleep over much worse things. 
Can’t wait for TUESDAY! 

8 minutes ago, BilliKat said:

What I love most is I don’t have a favorite or even five favorites in my billiken fandom-( over thirty years 😜

we have had so many phenomenal memorable players that I just can’t replace when a new amazing player comes in… I could never remove rob loe, or Brian Conklin, or kwamain, French, claggett, Hughes, kevin lisch, Liddell, jett, highmark, Goodwin, Donnie Dobbs, Bonner- so many more that i could spend all day thinking and reminiscing on.

AND many of them are just great people on and off the court and I love it. 

BUT- every one of them had their faults that would really ruin a game or two during their SLU career- and people on the board would want to bench them, reduce play time- belch and moan about them-

and I can’t say I specifically remember any of those bad games as much I remember the great ones. 
calm down- enjoy the ride- truth be told they are (more than likely) doing a better job than most of us MBMs could do. It’s a W- you could lose sleep over much worse things. 
Can’t wait for TUESDAY! 

i agree, as a fan of a non power five school if ncaa tourney wins is the only measuring stick of success then you will be disappointed most years, enjoy the ride as billikat says

33 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

1. I agree, that it looked bad to be up by 14 and then losing at halftime.  I was in the car listening to Rammer and Earl at the point when we were up 14.  Rammer pointed out that just after the moment when we were up 14, we had five different guys in the game than our five starters.  We were already ten guys deep into the game at like the 4 1/2 minute mark. If we want to play up tempo, and I know Ford and a lot of guys on this board want us too, you have to go deep into your bench.  We will sacrifice a bit by doing so.  The reward comes later in the game when the other team is spent, and we pull away for a victory.  If we want to play uptempo, and we should, we will have to accept the lulls in the game when the starting five aren’t all in the game together.

2. Yuri’s style of play results in a lot of assists, but also comes with turnovers.  You have to accept the bad with the good if you like what he does.  I think, maybe I’m wrong, that in addition to leading the nation in assists last year, he also lead in turnovers.  He won’t have games like the UMSL game against D1 competition.  If you like what he does, you have to accept some turnovers.

3. Yuri taking shots opens up the rest of what he does.  He has to take shots, many of which he might miss, to keep the defense off balance so that he can then get the assists.  Let’s not sweat his taking a few more shots than we would like when the result is an 18 point win and him getting 13 assists.

I agree with Point 1. It threw off the flow and lasted until the 10 minute mark of the second half.

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Good points. Just watched the replay and Yuri took good shots just had tough luck with at least 4 rattling in and out. His pull up in the lane is usually reliable just wasn’t his night from the floor. Also, one of the turnovers he was charged with should have gone to Franco who fumbled away a perfectly good entry pass. I realize basketball takes place at a fast pace but the stat people need to get those things right.

Reading the thread, people were busting Pickett’s chops but I didn’t see that at all. Plays all-out at all times, has a non-stop motor, and made a huge three to help get the rally going. 

We’ll also be more consistent when Perk gets back to his old self. He’s lost a bit of explosiveness but if coach’s timetable is right, by mid-December he should be the offensive force we all want to see. 

Can’t wait to see this team clicking on all cylinders. 

Billikenbooster likes this

34 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Reading the thread, people were busting Pickett’s chops but I didn’t see that at all. Plays all-out at all times, has a non-stop motor, and made a huge three to help get the rally going.

Can’t wait to see this team clicking on all cylinders. 

I agree with the above I pasted.  I think Pickett has far exceeded what I expected.   As I've since explained, my experience watching Pickett was all high school views and 100% of those instances were all matchups with EJ Liddell who is now a new Orleans pelican.   High expectations to excel and be noticed playing vs a 2 time Mr Illinois.

Pickett is the perfect guy for this lineup.   Guarding the four rebounding like crazy and still showing good guard skills as well.  

I see another Duane Evans imo.   I am glad he's a billiken.   

Adman and AGB91 like this

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I agree with the above I pasted.  I think Pickett has far exceeded what I expected.   As I've since explained, my experience watching Pickett was all high school views and 100% of those instances were all matchups with EJ Liddell who is now a new Orleans pelican.   High expectations to excel and be noticed playing vs a 2 time Mr Illinois.

Pickett is the perfect guy for this lineup.   Guarding the four rebounding like crazy and still showing good guard skills as well.  

Yes

Two games (small sample size) Pickett is our leading rebounder and our third leading scorer shooting 62.5% from the field.  If that is bad, what is good?

slu72 likes this

Yuri is TO prone.  I don't like it but it comes with his high usage.

What I can't let go is Yuri's on ball defense.  Non existent right now.  Where are the steals and forced TOs?  He's obviously taking off on defensive possessions.  I thought he was overrated on defense last year but this year he's barely better than Jimerson and Perkins thus far.

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yuri is TO prone.  I don't like it but it comes with his high usage.

What I can't let go is Yuri's on ball defense.  Non existent right now.  Where are the steals and forced TOs?  He's obviously taking off on defensive possessions.  I thought he was overrated on defense last year but this year he's barely better than Jimerson and Perkins thus far.

To your point...the team is rated F in both steals and forcing opp TOs.

As for The Bills turning the ball over they currently are at a very nice B+.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

EVERY time an opponent zoned us Evans was there at the freethrow line with a dagger shot.  It was like clockwork in Majerus's offense.  Im glad he's a Billiken too but he's not Dwayne Evens just yet.......

BuiltFordBills, bauman and Fraz like this

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

1.  Need to go deep in the bench, yes.  I wasn’t a fan of the wholesale sub at the time.  Might as well stop the game and tip it off again.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Love is blind. We are not going to beat Memphis when someone who controls game play for the team, shoots 0.285., and has 5 turnovers out of 12 in the game. The numbers are there.

I’ve tried to defend you in the past, but you’ve become an absolute joke. Making assumptions of a player based on one game, when we have 3+ years of games to evaluate him is absolutely ridiculous. Was this Yuri’s best game, no, but it was hardly terrible. 13 assists versus 5 to’s is still a very respectable ratio. How many points do you think Okoro scores last night without Collins? Yes we get it you have a grudge against him, but you are doing  nothing but embarrassing yourself…

17 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i thought the same team.   looking at the box score yuri did not have a good game.   yes he had another incredible night of assists.   but he also led the team in turnovers and shot the worst shooting percentage on the team for the game.  

no doubt he runs the team, but we arent going to beat the good teams with last night's yuri collins.   i dont know the answer.   maybe he needs more breaks.  which begs we figure out the backup point guard thing.   maybe he just needs to be pulled back a little on his leash by ford, but imo we are better when yuri isnt trying to be all things to the billikens.   it would be different if we didnt have weapons like perkins an jimerson on the outside and okoro on the inside.   he has options.   

I’m shocked Yuri led the team in turnovers. Criticizing his shooting on the game or even shot selection, fair enough. But 5 turnovers with 13 assists is good not bad, but heck some of you actually stated he should have a 4-5/1 assist to t/o ratio last year so I guess I’m not surprised. 

Do people really not realize what a good assist to t/o ratio is for players with 7-8 assists a game? Or maybe the idea that the guy handling the ball the most and making the most passes might actually turn the ball over the most. Just go look at 7+ assist guys over the last 10 or so years and see how many had a ratio better than 2.5 much less better than 2.0. Someone earlier mentioned Ja Morant with 10+ assists per game. Great Billiken fans would have dogged him with that assist to t/o rate well under 2.0

Zink likes this

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

How do I say this, this kid was not, Asian. 

Random guess with no inside info - Could it have been John Bol (former CBC guy)?  Marcus Wilson who is now an AC at Evansville was is/his guardian.  Bol is now at Sunrise Christian in Wichita, KS, but maybe he came “home” for a visit with Wilson?  Probably unlikely and even if he was at the game I’d guess it was more to see Wilson than visit SLU.