GDT - Eliminate Evansville

Fraz

In the last 10 minutes Evansville had nothing in the tank they were spent.

The Billikens wore them out and this team should and the Billikens dominated down the stretch.

When the coach talks about Perkins being 70 percent I take away that Perkins game is only 70 percent because dribble drives to the basket that he normally makes he missed those shots.

Our team is a great 3 point shooting team with Perkins and Jimerson it’s a thing of beauty to watch those 2 shoot.

I thought Yuri took too many shots on a off shooting night but he had double digit assists so I shouldn’t feel that way.

Another nice outing at Chaifetz tonight let’s get it done on Tuesday.  SLU has veterans that have played together for a while Memphis does not no excuses win at home.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

In the last 10 minutes Evansville had nothing in the tank they were spent.

The Billikens wore them out and this team should and the Billikens dominated down the stretch.

When the coach talks about Perkins being 70 percent I take away that Perkins game is only 70 percent because dribble drives to the basket that he normally makes he missed those shots.

Our team is a great 3 point shooting team with Perkins and Jimerson it’s a thing of beauty to watch those 2 shoot.

I thought Yuri took too many shots on a off shooting night but he had double digit assists so I shouldn’t feel that way.

Another nice outing at Chaifetz tonight let’s get it done on Tuesday.  SLU has veterans that have played together for a while Memphis does not no excuses win at home.

I’m pretty much at the point where Gibby and Perk can just let it fly whenever they want. No such thing as a bad shot for them. I love it. 

Littlebill, Zink, gabriel and 1 other like this

Not much to take away from that game. Nice warmup for Tuesday I guess.

They played great when they were motivated. Unfortunately that was a only for about 15-18 minutes total.

I said it after the last game and I’ll say it again, this team is going to score a ton of points this year! 

I was at the Chaifetz watching the game tonight. To start with it was a win by 18 pts. A win is always infinitely better than a loss and this was a win.

Team Rankings predicted SLU would win by 23 pts. Their predicted score is based upon the final Vegas line before the game. We won the game but did not reach the Vegas line. I believe this will cause us to go lower in our standing as per Team Rankings, by how much, I do not know but will certainly find out by tomorrow.

I have indicated my lack of satisfaction with Yuri. The normal reaction to this would be: how could this be with 12 pts and 13 assists in a double double. Simply stated, he seemed determined to get a high score level in this game, and did with 12 pts. BUT he took 14 attempts at scoring a field goal and made only 4. This is a FG/FGA percentage of 0.285. This is pretty bad because it was significantly below his FG/FGA for the prior season of 0.45, and his FG/FGA of  0.428 for the prior game against Murray State. This was not all, he got 5 TOs (0 vs Murray ST). 

Finally while we were not doing much of anything towards the end of the game he was pulled out after he got his 4th foul, and replaced by Thatch, and the team appeared to revive and started playing a LOT faster and scoring a lot better.

What I describe regarding Yuri is factual. You can reach your own conclusions. He did get his double double. The game was a win. But, is this the best we can play? I think the answer was clear when they pulled him out and got Thatch in.

Feel free to disagree.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I was at the Chaifetz watching the game tonight. To start with it was a win by 18 pts. A win is always infinitely better than a loss and this was a win.

Team Rankings predicted SLU would win by 23 pts. Their predicted score is based upon the final Vegas line before the game. We won the game but did not reach the Vegas line. I believe this will cause us to go lower in our standing as per Team Rankings, by how much, I do not know but will certainly find out by tomorrow.

I have indicated my lack of satisfaction with Yuri. The normal reaction to this would be: how could this be with 12 pts and 13 assists in a double double. Simply stated, he seemed determined to get a high score level in this game, and did with 12 pts. BUT he took 14 attempts at scoring a field goal and made only 4. This is a FG/FGA percentage of 0.285. This is pretty bad because it was significantly below his FG/FGA for the prior season of 0.45, and his FG/FGA of  0.428 for the prior game against Murray State. This was not all, he got 5 TOs (0 vs Murray ST). 

Finally while we were not doing much of anything towards the end of the game he was pulled out after he got his 4th foul, and replaced by Thatch, and the team appeared to revive and started playing a LOT faster and scoring a lot better.

What I describe regarding Yuri is factual. You can reach your own conclusions. He did get his double double. The game was a win. But, is this the best we can play? I think the answer was clear when they pulled him out and got Thatch in.

Feel free to disagree.

There was a fan behind me screaming at Yuri to stop shooting and for them to put Thatch in… but he was about 30 years old. Could I have found (not very) old guy??? 

11 hours ago, davidnark said:

Yuri needs to avoid stretches where he gets focused on just driving and looking to dish to the big man. We went about 10 minutes straight during the drought not even looking at Perkins and Gibson on the wings. Coach should pull him out for a few minutes if he goes down that path in the future. 

i thought the same team.   looking at the box score yuri did not have a good game.   yes he had another incredible night of assists.   but he also led the team in turnovers and shot the worst shooting percentage on the team for the game.  

no doubt he runs the team, but we arent going to beat the good teams with last night's yuri collins.   i dont know the answer.   maybe he needs more breaks.  which begs we figure out the backup point guard thing.   maybe he just needs to be pulled back a little on his leash by ford, but imo we are better when yuri isnt trying to be all things to the billikens.   it would be different if we didnt have weapons like perkins an jimerson on the outside and okoro on the inside.   he has options.   

I was fine with Yuri’s shot selection. All of his misses were in and out. They would rattle around then roll out. He wasn’t missing by much. The TOs I’d need to relook at. I think at least a few of them were catchable balls that other players muffed. 

Regardless he is the straw that stirs the drink.

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I was fine with Yuri’s shot selection. All of his misses were in and out. They would rattle around then roll out. He wasn’t missing by much. The TOs I’d need to relook at. I think at least a few of them were catchable balls that other players muffed. 

Agree.  He only took good shots all game.  We will live with pull up 15 footers from him (or at least we should)

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He missed a lot of shots that are usually his bread and butter. Missed from the mid-range, missed a couple floaters, etc. I’m fine with the shots he took, he usually makes those. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This board is off the rails.

I love the best PG in America. Let's go 1. 

Love is blind. We are not going to beat Memphis when someone who controls game play for the team, shoots 0.285., and has 5 turnovers out of 12 in the game. The numbers are there.

The problem with our game threads is, since Yuri is the greatest assist man in college basketball, they will all become a referendum on Yuri's play.  That seems incredibly short-sighted.  You're likely watching the best Billiken point guard you will ever see.  Enjoy it.

Yuri is only going to get better as a shooter if he keeps putting shots up.  His oases get legit because the defense has to guard for his shot. No one complained at how bad Jordan Goodwin’s stats in shooting were- because he rebounded many of his own shots. The total game of a player has to be considered. Yes, we played better during the Thatch time. 

as coach said first half the ball bounced away from us. 

I sure hope Forester learns how to catch zinger passes from Perkins and Collins.  No since in running to basket if are not looking to be fed the basketball

Perkins and Jimmerson were our game: my biggest disappointment of first two games is

Sincere Parker not being found for open shots. We have three very talented shooters on this team and about eight other very hardworking team mates. The entre team works the hardest of Travis Ford’s era. 

we have more talent than the Majerus teams we should be in for a real treat this year. It is no longer possible to say first team to 59 wins. I think we will average 85 points a game and think this team has an upside that we have not witnessed as SLU fans.

cgeldmacher, almaman and gabriel like this

Quick thoughts form the game. 1. Pickett played horribly in the first half, and the start of the second. He had turnovers, and it seemed like most  bobbled rebounds had him either bobbling or sticking a hand in. 2. Thatch played pretty well. Definitely did well as a backup pg.

I think the mpg will turn more towards Thatch in time.