A10 around the league

pretty_ricky

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprises again yesterday in the A10:

Davidson rolls I over Umass in Amherst by 15.  Davidson found a third scorer in Connor Kochers who went off for 29.  Umass again w/o a point guard in Fernando’s.

The Dukes roll in Foggy Bottom.  Some guy I’ve never heard of off the bench to go ballistic.  Bishop with another bad shooting night.

Loyola tops Mason in Chicago.  It’s kind of good to have the middling teams like Mason and Geedubya go down —- gives us breathing room in the top four race.

And the Bonnie’s triumph in the Great White North taking down Dayton and tying them for third.  Schmidt is doing it with smoke and mirrors.  Yann Farrell is a nice freshman but the rest are middling including St. Pete hero Daryl Banks.  Nothing off the bench.  Chad Venning accepting the DaRon Holmes challenge like Ace Baldwin accepting the Yuri Collins challenge.  Both won big.  Still a question if the Bonnie’s can win on the road.  If so, they will be top four as well.  I don’t think Fordham has staying power.

Once again, Dayton couldn’t shoot and Camara got in foul trouble which meant no second option for Dayton to support Holmes.  

29 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Come on Spiiiidaas... USA Network

LaSalle takes down the Joeys, 73-65.

Richmond up 6 with 1 to go.

19 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And the Spydahs thanked the win over Fordham

Time I say it again, while it’s hard to win on the road, the loss to Fordham was a bad loss. That is not a good team. 

La Salle won the Philly Back Yard Brawl rematch.  From what I saw, they wanted it more.  La Salles' three guard team of Brickus/Brantley/Nickleberry beat the Joeys three of Reynolds/Brown/Greer by the count of 39 to 31.  a Salle won by 8.  Hmmm.  The rest on both sides negated each other.  Brwon and Reynolds combined to go 4 for 16 from deep for the Joeys.  It was literally a standoff besides the guard play.

Richmond struggled all game, falling behind by eleven around the under 12 timeout.  Fordham is really the team playing HAVOC defense.  It is in your face, man-to-man, let's force the refs to make some calls.  The grabbing, clutching and mugging is downright criminal.  But Richmond did what you have to do to beat Fordham --- limit Moore (12) and Quisenberry (5 but only one basket and that was with one minute left in the game!).  In total, the two were held 15 points below their ppg averages.  Matt Grace had a career high 21 and Burton finally came through down the stretch for 18.  I'd let the Spider guards, Bailey and Nelson, shoot all night.  The sell out crowd helped down the stretch.

We MUST defend the home fires and win four of the remaining five with a Dayton win giving us five wins overall.  Plus steal one in Richmond.  Four wins gives us 11; five 12; the steal possibly 13,  A final record of 13 and 5 will surely lock up[ a double bye.

Tuesday, February 7:  Big Boy Night in the A10.

Dayton (+4.5) at VCU and Rhode Island (+11.5) at Saint Louis.  Spreads courtesy of FanDuel. Both games on CBS Sports Net with Dayton's game at seven EST.  So you can bet on missing the first few minutes of our game for sure.

Jumping to our game, really a must win.   We cannot lose to Rhodey at home.  CANNOT.  A win gets us to 8 and 3 ion the conference, a one game lead over both the Bonnies and Dayton who are tied for third.  Fordham lurks a half game back in fifth.  The battle for a top four rages on.

In the early game, I think you have to root for VCU.  I am basing this on the belief that the more the teams in three/four/five spots lose, the better our chances become for that top four finish.  The Flyers should be favored in every other game after this with maybe the exception of their season-ender at Saint Louis.  With a win over Dayton and a season sweep, VCU is poised to run the table including their hosting us in a rematch.  It is hard to see another loss on their slate going forward.  But this is the A10.  Usually, you want to see the top team come down some so you can catch them but again, this is the A10.  

Wednesday, February 8:  Everybody else.

Richmond @ Geedubya:  Richmond has six losses and Geedubya five.  If Maximus Edwards can negate Tyler Burton, the game swings into Geedubya's favor.  There is no way the Richmond guards can stay with Bishop and Adams PROVIDING one or both don't have an off night.The X-factor might be Matt Grace; Fordham let him shoot from distance to a career high 21 the other night and lost.  Not impressed with the defense of Hunter Dean nor Ricky Lindo.

Umass @ Fordham:  Given Fordham's roll of late, this should be no contest.  Still no Noah Fernandes but I'm rooting for the Minutemen again under the assumption that losses for the chasing teams are good losses for us.

La Salle @ Bonaventure:  Bonaventure too is on a roll.  Schmidt is back to creating another Iron Five.  He gets very little from his bench.  Chad Venning is on a roll and La Salle has no inside presence to put up a fight.

Mason @ Duquesne:  Odd game here.  Duquesne shoots from distance and Mason goes inside with Odurp.  Duquesne has no answer for Oduro.  Mason has six losses, Duquesne five.  Might be worthwhile to have Duquesne fall down another notch.

St. Joes @ Loyola:  The Joeys were hot then inexplicably lost at home to La Salle.  A Joeys win would move them further from the PIGs but Loyola is peaking, having beaten Mason at home after giving Dayton an OT tussle in Dayton.

I see every home team winning here.

Davidson is off until Saturday when they host Fordham.  I'll expect Fordham to try and punk Loyer, Huffman and Watson right out of Belk.  Davidson did crush Fordham at Rose Hill inthe season opener for both.

Still a little too much time left to know, but I keep going back and forth on who I want to win the VCU - UD game. 

-A VCU win help the odds that we wont see both UD and VCU, but just one in Brooklyn. 

- A UD win helps us with a chance of winning the A10 regular season.  This also slightly increases the odds of playing both IF we win the regular season. But with 3 games against UD and vcu left, I'm thinking the road is too hard. 

With this said, I'm going with VCU, in hopes that UD finishes 4th of 5th to avoid them. 

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Still a little too much time left to know, but I keep going back and forth on who I want to win the VCU - UD game. 

-A VCU win help the odds that we wont see both UD and VCU, but just one in Brooklyn. 

- A UD win helps us with a chance of winning the A10 regular season.  This also slightly increases the odds of playing both IF we win the regular season. But with 3 games against UD and vcu left, I'm thinking the road is too hard. 

With this said, I'm going with VCU, in hopes that UD finishes 4th of 5th to avoid them. 

plus if dayton finishes 4th they likely will match up with vcu in the semi's and one of the two would be gone before the championship which hopefully then would be against the billikens.  seems like the easier path to the tourney title.

1 minute ago, willie said:

I see Ace is 3 for 13. O for 5 against Dayton. Either our defense sucks or it’s the curse of the Billikens. Career night saved for us.  

Or maybe somebody is guarding him tonight

CenHudDude likes this

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Dayton has better basketball players than VCU, won at the warehouse without point guard Malachi Smith. Ace Baldwin followed up on his 37 vs. SLU by going 6-21 from the floor, 0-7 on 3’s. 

Smith was out, their second PG Sharavjamts, fouled out in only 9 minutes of play.  Dayton beat VCU using Elvis and Brea as their PG's.