A10 around the league

pretty_ricky

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

2 straight wins for the Joeys with their 71-59 “road” win at LaSalle. GW up 30-25 at the half at Mason. Oduro held scoreless. 

Are you taking notes on how they kept Oduro scoreless?  He went 10-17 against us.  Hope we don't see GM in the tourney.

21 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Are you taking notes on how they kept Oduro scoreless?  He went 10-17 against us.  Hope we don't see GM in the tourney.

Sorry, just checking scores. GW up 9 with 5 to go. Oduro with 14.

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

GW wins @Mason 78-75 in the Revolutionary Rivalry. 

They tried to pull a SLU and give it away but Mason said no thanks.

Frankly, I am not surprised with the scores today ----- Joeys and Geedubya wins. 

The Joeys have better athletes than La Salle.  Reynolds and Brown are better than Brantley and Brickus.  Greer and Nickleberry void each other out.  Obinna is way better than Doucoure.  Fousseyni Drame was outnumbered here.  

Geedubya took the Revolutionary Rivalry to better heart.  Their balance of four guys in double figures was much better than Oduro and Politte.  The equally weak benches basically negated each other.  Lindo showed up a little in this one.  Bishop and Adam for 19 and 22.  A minor head scratcher but this is the status quo in the A10 every year.  

Tomorrow's games are Rhodey at Richmond (-8.5), Davidson making a return visit to Dayton (-11), and Umass at VCU (-7.5).    I don't see a home facvorite being challenged here.

And now that I've said that, watch what happens.

Umass is really one of the best Jekyl/Hyde teams in terms of playing at home versus on the road.  Always has been.  Just look at last year's games against us --- beat us in Amherst, destroyed in the Loo.  For unspecified reasons, Noah Fernandes did not play last night for the Minutemen.  The two starting guards, Diggins and Weeks, were a combined 5-for-19 with 1 of 12 from three.  Three guys off th ebench all made one bucket each for three points each.  No help there.  VCU is just a tough place to win, no matter who you think you are.

Richmond came out against Rhodey and scored the first nine points with Tyler Burton getting seven of them.  That was pretty much it as Rhodey played catch-up from there all night.  I think they got as close as four but never took a lead.  Rhodey is a mess and outside of Geedubya transfer Braylon Freeman and holdover guard Ish Leggett, they don't really have much.  Richmond remains all Tyler Burton with fifth year seniors Gustavsen and Grace playing deep supporting roles.  Lafayette transfer, 7-foot Neal Quinn did very well last night.  He posted up constantly and showed decent touch and moves down low.  He was second leading scorer with 14 behind Burton's 23.  I don't know if that is Quinn or Rhodey's inability to match up with him down low.  Quinns four games prior to last night were 4, 6, 13, and 8.  He's averaging only 8 ppg.  I thought Richmond's defense was tenacious but I don't know if they are good or Rhodey is that bad.  Freeman just takes the ball and drives constantly.  And Leggett, Carey Thomas and Weston are all guards.  Rhodey's lone big is a 6'11" guy from France.  Archie really has a long way to go.,

In the main event, Dayton outlasted Davidson for the second time in 18 days.  Malachi Smith made his return to the court, playing 16 minutes, scoring 5 and dishing 5 assists.  Somehow, Sharvarjamts recorded 7 assists.  Holmes had a terrible night --- scoring four while saddled with foul trouble the whole game.  Davidson tried to use him to close out at end end by fouling him.  He was 0 for 3 from the line sand I think all were one-and-ones.  Camara and especially Amzil carried them but they got 13 from bench players Smith and Brea so that was huge.  Davidson was led by all people, Desmond Watson.  Nineteen.  It appeared Dayton decided to shut down Loyer and Mennenga and for th emost part ignored Watson.  Loyer ended with seven and was mostly a non-factor scoring wise.  Mennenga did well --- 15 points and 13 rebounds.  Davidson never really challenged as the game closed out.  Dayton was always up five, six, seven points.  

Umass and Rhodey are trending to join the pillow fight for sure.  

13 hours ago, billikenbill said:

All the home teams won:

Dayton 68 Davidson 61

Richmond 64 Rhody 57

VCU 83 UMass 55

How did we lose to UMass?

Fernandes (ankle) and Luis (wrist) were both out last night for UMass.  Combined, they put up 37 against us.

Our Town's Nick Kern with a jam.  (22 minutes, 12 points).  Kern has started the last 3 games for the Rams.

billikenbill likes this

Outside of today's Loyola win, the Bonnies destroyed Duquesne in the first half and won in Olean 65 to 56.  This moves the Bonnies to 4 and 2 and tied with Richmond for fourth.  Duquesne drops to 3 and 3 and tied with Mason for seventh.

VCU travel to crosstown Richmond for a 7 EST tip on ESPN2.  Don't know who to root for there.

58 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Think I’ve seen enough, VCU is the best team currently 

Their half court defense was impressive.  They took Richmond completely out of their Princeton offense.  I was surprised Richmond only had 16 TO to VCU's 18.

VCU is on a roll.  Five in a row, with home W's against Davidson and UMass, and road W's at Loyola (yawn), Dayton and Richmond.

As of tonight, this is a Q2 win for the Rams.  They are 2-2 in Q1 and 1-1 in Q2. They had five in double figure points tonight, spreading out the scoring nicely.

VCU over Richmond at Robbins tonight 74 to 62.  Richmond scored the last nine when VCU was disinterested or it's a 21 point win.  I disagree with WGSTL, it's all relative based on  who you are playing.  I've long said Richmond is Tyler Burton and pray for rain and that happened tonight. You shut down Burton and Richmond sucks.  He had 14 but the rest do not strike fear in my heart as a college basketball team.  Matt Grace and Andre Gustavson are at best ninth and tenth rotational players.  Nothing more.  VCU is much more athletic but nothing to write home about.  I was curious as to how Richmond would handle this ---- 4 and 2 coming in but losses on the road at weak sisters Mason and the Bonnies.  Richmond showed out to be a fraud --- but still one not to betaken lightly in Richmond.  Neal Quinn, the seven foot transfer from Lafayette --- not athletic nor tough enough to handle VCU's athletes inside.  If we bring our A-game to Richmond, no contest.  

Credit to VCU for doing what they had to do to win.  Shriver remains their only exterior threat and Watkins is a nice slasher finisher type.  But they are the usual VCU in that for the most part, no one is a reliable shooter.  If they don't pressure you and get easy baskets in transition, they are hard-pressed to find points.  Both teams are who I said they are.

Dayton down 14 to Geedubya at Foggy Bottom at half.  Kobe Elvis back but wearing big bulky brace on right knee.  Malachi Smith second game back still looks rusty.  Geedubya doubling Holmes on every second dribble.  Killing him down low.  Again, Dayton’s shooting suspect.

Big weekend in the A10.  VCU pummels Richmond at home.  Geedubya upsets Dayton in Foggy Bottom.  Mason escapes relatively easily at Rhode Island.  Fordham stiffles Duquesne in Pittsburg.  The Joeys post their third win in a row besting Umass on Hawk Hill.  Loyola moves inot the win column downing the Bonnies in Chicago.

UISA Half Time report had a sports betting guy on at the Dayton half who said the A10 is down to VCU, Dayton or us as regular season champs.  He's betting on VCU.  Tim McCormack, color guy on that game, had his All A10 team as Bishop, Holmes, Camara, Burton and Collins.

The Fordham, Joey and Loyola wins just tell me that the league is starting it's cannibalism run.  These lower echelon teams are just dangerous enough to pull out wins at home when the other lowers come calling.  The Joeys were faored by 2.5; Duquesne by 7; and the Bonnies by 2.  Geedubya stiffeled Holmes by running a second man at him on his second bounce almost every possession.  McCormack said he doesn't trust Dayton's exterior shooting and Dayton's guards --- Shavramjamts, Blakney, Brea, Smith and Elvis went a combined 11-for34 and 5-of-18 from distance.  Amzil was also 1 of 4 for a percentage of 29%.  

Rhodey is just bad.  They had no answer for Oduro and the only option seems to be Braylon Freeman driving to the hoop.  Their freshman Brandon Weston looks like he could be a nice player.  Archie needs help.

Umass played again without Noah Fernandes but failed to cover Cam Brown who went 4 of 7 from deep and tallied 25 points.  Erik Reynolds shot horribly at 6-for 18 but did add 23 points.  

Duquesne got up 31 to 23 in the second half but then failed to score for two minutes, then 3.5 minutes and Fordham was back in the game.  The final nail in the Dukes coffin was going up by 6 with 6.5 to go and then were shut out for another four plus minutes whereby Fordham went from 6 down to nine up.  As I said elsewhere, this is likely Dambrot's last year.

Loyola and the Bonnies played typical bad A10 basketball until the 'B;ers took their first lead at the 8 minute mark. Both teams struggled to a four point 'Bler halftime lead at 31 to 27.Loyola then shuit the Bonnies down for about five minutes in the fourth quarter and eased into a 12 point win.Loyola got 47 of its 67 points off the bench.  

Right now, I'd say Geedubya is the surprise of the league.  Currently in fourth, a game ahead of Mason, Bona and Richmond.  The dregs will beat each other up ==== you just can't have any of the dogs bite you.

billikenbill likes this

This week, as noted, Davidson is at La Salle on Tuesday.  On Wednesday, the Joeys go to Geedubya; Richmond is at Umass; Loyola goes to Duquesne; Mason is at VCU; Fordham visits Olean; and Dayton is at Rhodey to see Archie.  Friday is us at Davidson.

Right now, I'd say all the home teams win except Rhodey.