A10 around the league

pretty_ricky

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fordham is carrying the A10.  Nice W, playing without their top scorer, Darius Quisenberry.

Fear The Ram(s)!

HoosierPal likes this

There are still 2 OOC games left, but let's use this NET poll and compare to the A10 Preseason Poll.  First number is the numerical rank from above, and the second number is the A10 preseason rank.

Dayton 1 and 1  (even)

St Louis 2 and 2  (even)

George Mason 3 and 5 (+2)

UMass 4 and 8  (+4)

Fordham 5 and 11  (+6)

VCU 6 and 3  (-3)

Duquesne 7 and 15  (+8)

Richmond 8 and 7  (-1)

Davidson 9 and 6  (-3)

St. Bonnie 10 and 10  (even)

Loyola 11 and 4  (-7)

GW 12 and 12  (even)

St. Joe 13 and 13  (even)

Rhode Island 14 and 9  (-5)

LaSalle 15 and 14.  (-1)

Biggest rise is Duquesne followed by Fordham.  Biggest drop is Loyola and then Rhode Island.

9 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We were 1 game away from having a decent ooc. That siue game killed everything.

every loss imo is not a clean loss where we can say, "they were just better.   we gave an incredible performance on all fronts and just got beat."   that is the disappointment.  it leaves question marks in our minds that maybe we should be undefeated.   a guy can dream right?

Perhaps it is because the Bills are going through a temporary rough patch at the moment and because the A-10 is probably the worst it has been in at least 16 years, that explains why this thread was ignored in recent days despite a full slate of conference games being played.  FYI, Duquesne throttled VCU.  The Dukes led from start to finish with their lead being 15-plus for most of the contest.

Dayton, despite its disappointing OCC showing, seems to be the class of the league. Saint Louis is ranked 2nd in the league behind Dayton in the College Basketball-Reference (SRS) rankings (9.6 to 6.7). They are followed by Mason (5.0), VCU and Duquesne (4.5 each), Richmond (4.3) and UMass (1.5). 

15 minutes ago, An A-10 fan said:

Dayton, despite its disappointing OCC showing, seems to be the class of the league. Saint Louis is ranked 2nd in the league behind Dayton in the College Basketball-Reference (SRS) rankings (9.6 to 6.7). They are followed by Mason (5.0), VCU and Duquesne (4.5 each), Richmond (4.3) and UMass (1.5). 

I'll buy this. I still don't think Dayton is all that, though. A10 is a conference where anyone can beat anyone, which is bad.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'll buy this. I still don't think Dayton is all that, though. A10 is a conference where anyone can beat anyone, which is bad.

holmes imo is an nba player.   in the atlantic 10 a inside player capable of playing in the league can carry a team.   he seems to be fitting that thought pretty well.  a lot of those non conference woes can be attributed to grant not being prepared for smith being out.  but seems like they have now gotten past that with sharavjamt's play.   dayton is going to win the league and wouldnt surprise me if they coast through brooklyn as well sealing the juan bid hopes by the ncaa.  

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

holmes imo is an nba player.   in the atlantic 10 a inside player capable of playing in the league can carry a team.   he seems to be fitting that thought pretty well.  a lot of those non conference woes can be attributed to grant not being prepared for smith being out.  but seems like they have now gotten past that with sharavjamt's play.   dayton is going to win the league and wouldnt surprise me if they coast through brooklyn as well sealing the juan bid hopes by the ncaa.  

I hope none of this ends up being true, I'm tired of being in a conference with Dayton.

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Kobe Elvis has been out since late November.  He put 20 up against us last season at the Fetz.  Once/if the Flyers get both injured players back, they will be tough and deep.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, brianstl said:

You know things are hard at their when the women’s coach gets fired mid-season.

No kidding, we just let out women coaches play out their contracts. Has to be more to the story than just the record.  Especially because this guy was a home grown product, per the announcement releasing him, he was a Graduate of St Bonaventure, he served on staff at St. Bonaventure for 11 years, working his way up from a student manager to assistant coach and associate head coach, and was let go in his 7th year as head coach. They couldn’t just let him play out the season?

37 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Has to be more to the story than just the record. 

It could be the on-court performance and nothing more. The Bonnies are on a 9 game losing streak, and lost their last two 69-38 and 73-39 @Duquesne (12-6) and @Davidson (8-9) respectively. It could just be the AD acknowledging that the program is cratering and needs a shake up ASAP.

24 minutes ago, Compton said:

It could be the on-court performance and nothing more. The Bonnies are on a 9 game losing streak, and lost their last two 69-38 and 73-39 @Duquesne (12-6) and @Davidson (8-9) respectively. It could just be the AD acknowledging that the program is cratering and needs a shake up ASAP.

Maybe, except they’ve been tolerating bad play and cratering for years in the WBB program in western NY

Bonnies WBB Record

2016-17  9-20

2017-18  8-22

2018-19  8-22

2019-20  7-23

2020-21  6-15

2021-22  12-16

2022-23  3-17 so far

Well, it's a consistent record of mediocrity.  I'd have to think 12 and 16 gave rise to hope but more losses already this year than last might have said sayonara.  Pitfalls of the career field.

This weekend  marks five games down in the A10 conference season.  A 27% completion rate.  A little over one quarter.  I haven't devoted as much attention to the A10 as I have in the past mainly because a smany have nboted, it's just been a bad, Juan Bid-esque league this year.  But at the quarter mark, trends are out there.

No one really has many good OOC wins.  We are likely the best, having beat Memphis, Providence and Drake.  VCU has topped Pitt and Vanderbilt.  Dayton has downed SMU and Wyoming.  The Bonnies beat Notre Dame.  Richmond beat Temple and Drake both at home.  Duquesne beat RuPaul.  Geedubya crushed South Carolina while Davidson won as well  Umass beat Colorado.  Loyola beat Clemson at State Farm Arena in Atlanta.  While La Salle, Rhode Island, Mason, Fordham, and St. Joe's have failed to collect any significant victories of note.

As far as the league goes, Dayton, VCU and SLU have risen to the current top of the heap.  The Bonnies appear to be pretenders away from the Reilly Center.  Mason's lack of depth, as demonstrated in St. Louis, is a huge anchor on their team.  Ditto Geedubya.  Geedubya will only go as far as Bishop and Adams take them.  An off night there kills (just look at Bishop's dismal performance yesterday).  Richmond is Tyler Burton and pray for rain.  But they can and will surprise at the Robbins Center.  Umass can win at home; on the road not so much.  Loyola has been a complete disappointment and some are questioning if the step up from the MVC might be a little too much.  Duquesne has surprised with all their transfers but their SOS has been also on the weak side.  They do win at home as evidenced by their beating VCU in Pittsburg.  Good to get them in the Loo.  

The pillow fight is tough to call right now.  La Salle and St. Joe's seem locks.  And Loyola is trending that way.  Six teams enter this year's pillow fight in Brooklyn and I would venture to say we have three locks at this point.  Rhode Island appears to have an inside track to a fourth and the euphoria over Fordham's hot OOC start is fading.  Not surprising.

For us, a top four finish looks pretty good right now.  We'll check back at the 50% complete mark later.  While the Wiz has us favored in the next six games, games at Loyola this week and Davidson on January 27 will be true road tests as far as we go.  And that home match with VCU will loom large.  VCU has already won at Loyola and at Dayton.  Six wins there will position quite nicely for the closing kick where we have games at Dayton, at VCU and at Richmond.  Still too early to call but the angst caused by some OOC failures has lifted some due to this current run.  

Dayton should be getting Smith and Elvis back soon.  Short of Shriver, no one on VCU seems capable of shooting.  Wed may have learned a lot with Collins out yesterday.  Richmond goes as Burton goes; Davidson goes as Loyer goes.  A top four finish is critical still (said Captain Obvious).

Fraz and Bay Area Billiken like this