Ford on the Radio...11/10/22

The Wiz

I heard part of an interview today with Ford.  He was talking about the new recruits...I missed the Medley part but Coach was high on Vice...He said , " Here is a 6'11" guy who can pass, dribble , go to the basket, play D and shoot especially 3s ...a great 3p shooter. He is an athlete and moves well.  He is an All State wide receiver ...as in football."

On recruiting , he said he has always liked to recruit freshman and will continue to do so. He likes to develop them. He feels there will be high quality ones available as other teams are now recruiting from the portal. He said we will pick up players occasionally on the transfer as needed but it won't be the focus of recruiting. In addition , he thinks there will be outstanding JUCOs available as teams shun those players even more than freshman.

When asked about losing players to the portal or by the pressure of the NIL...he said he is not concerned...it may happen occasionally but on the times it does we will be able to deal with it.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I heard part of an interview today with Ford.  He was talking about the new recruits...I missed the Medley part but Coach was high on Vice...He said , " Here is a 6'11" guy who can pass, dribble , go to the basket, play D and shoot especially 3s ...a great 3p shooter. He is an athlete and moves well.  He is an All State wide receiver ...as in football."

On recruiting , he said he has always liked to recruit freshman and will continue to do so. He likes to develop them. He feels there will be high quality ones available as other teams are now recruiting from the portal. He said we will pick up players occasionally on the transfer as needed but it won't be the focus of recruiting. In addition , he thinks there will be outstanding JUCOs available as teams shun those players even more than freshman.

When asked about losing players to the portal or by the pressure of the NIL...he said he is not concerned...it may happen occasionally but on the times it does we will be able to deal with it.

A guy named Brock Vice simply HAS to be an all-star athlete. Sounds like a champion. 

If the hype comes to fruition the combo of him and Cian oughta be real special.  

dennis_w and Zink like this

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I like what I hear from Ford, particularly the part about the NILs not been a major focus of SLUs recruitment. I think we can maintain a very good team recruiting primarily from High Schools and JUCOs, as he said. I also like what he said about being able to handle NILs if it becomes necessary. I like the idea that NILs will be secondary in SLUs recruitment.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I like what I hear from Ford, particularly the part about the NILs not been a major focus of SLUs recruitment. I think we can maintain a very good team recruiting primarily from High Schools and JUCOs, as he said. I also like what he said about being able to handle NILs if it becomes necessary. I like the idea that NILs will be secondary in SLUs recruitment.

Stop-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

12 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i did hear coach tate say the first question asked by a recruit is "what about nil?"

What 18-22 year old kid isn't going to prioritize his paycheck? Of course it's a priority in recruiting, to believe otherwise is dangerously naive and stubborn. 

dennis_w likes this

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who would have ever thought that SLU would become a player for top tier juco players?  I hadn't even considered this side-effect of the portal.  Top 15 juco players used to get high-major offers.  Today, not so much.

Wasn't too many years ago when we would not accept some juco credits. I assume that is no longer the case. Either that or juco players no longer take pe type courses. 

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

These is the Wiz's report about Ford's point of view on NILs.

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

These is the Wiz's report about Ford's point of view on NILs.

And your interpretation of Ford's comments here is so narcissistically twisted to fit your annoying boomer NIL stance. What Ford was most likely saying is that they have an NIL plan because they view it as a necessary evil but it won't compete against the P5 bottomless bank accounts and that's okay because there are more than enough good ball players to go around. 

Certainly not "We don't care about NIL."