Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

Looks like just two commits this Fall ...... Brock Vice & Cian Medley.  Hoping this thread helps us Billiken fans to track their exploits in their last HS basketball season.  

https://247sports.com/player/brock-vice-46132589/

https://247sports.com/player/cian-medley-46134050/

Pistol likes this

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Looks like just two commits this Fall ...... Brock Vice & Cian Medley.  Hoping this thread helps us Billiken fans to track their exploits in their last HS basketball season.  

https://247sports.com/player/brock-vice-46132589/

I'm fine with that. I expect Ford to hit the transfer portal in a big way this spring - hopefully coming off a season where we make some noise in March.

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm fine with that. I expect Ford to hit the transfer portal in a big way this spring - hopefully coming off a season where we make some noise in March.

Ya, I nice little mix of a few HS kids and mostly portal is the best way to go imo

30 minutes ago, ACE said:

With what we are losing after this year, TF better hit the portal big time.  We are losing both of our bigs plus Perkins and Pickett and maybe a couple more key pieces who still have eligibility left.

Assuming all our FR return that gives us 6 sures for our 23-24 roster. Add TJ and Parker who should be starters that makes 8 roster spots covered. Couple of assumptions about next year; Legend Jr gets a scholie, and Yuri leaves for something. I'm hoping Jimerson stays but also fear he may want to play his college career out closer to home, say at UVA, or maybe take a shot at the draft. If Gibby stays, we've got 5 spots to fill. If he goes, it's 6. Are there any HS Srs who still have us in their sights? If there are, it would seem Travis will have to land 4 or 5 from the portal. When it comes to recruiting in Travis we trust. He'll need a  bigs for sure, possibly a PG (depends on how Thames and Legend Jr develop this year), a 6'7" or 8" PF would be nice, and a couple of shooting guards. Again, I hope Gibby stays but have my doubts. 

majerus mojo likes this

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This is unusual, I have never encountered this before. Can Medley committed to SLU 2 days before SLU made an offer.                                                        

Maybe he’s psychic? 😄

Medley was offered on July 12 and committed on August 6.

He'll be fun to track this season, given that he plays on a ridiculously stacked HS team. It's also refreshing to see this combo of players attending their local public HS and not some national travel prep school.

We should've started this thread months ago. Vice dominating Memphis HS football as a TE has been fun to see.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He'll be fun to track this season, given that he plays on a ridiculously stacked HS team. It's also refreshing to see this combo of players attending their local public HS and not some national travel prep school.

We should've started this thread months ago. Vice dominating Memphis HS football as a TE has been fun to see.

it’s still much more fun to think he was psychic…..

1 hour ago, ACE said:

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Ya, I nice little mix of a few HS kids and mostly portal is the best way to go imo

1 hour ago, bauman said:

With what we are losing after this year, TF better hit the portal big time.  We are losing both of our bigs plus Perkins and Pickett and maybe a couple more key pieces who still have eligibility left.

It'll be a big spring out of long-term strategy and necessity. There's only 1 scholarship left on paper. We know Perkins, Pickett, Okoro, and Forrester are gone. We have a lot of players who are technically eligible to return but who might not based on pro or other opportunities (and I think they'll all have graduated by May): Collins (99.9% gone), Thatch, Jimerson, Hargrove. There's also the possibility a younger non-rotation player jumps for minutes elsewhere.

That lone remaining on-paper scholarship was only going to be used on someone like Kachi Nzeh, a big with high potential who could play immediately. There aren't a ton of them available in the 2023 class at the moment.

Regardless of who returns out of the guys who still have eligibility, we need bigs who can play immediately. Right now next year's front court is just Cisse and Vice. So the only question is just how many spots we'll have beyond that and we just have to wait until spring.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It'll be a big spring out of long-term strategy and necessity. There's only 1 scholarship left on paper. We know Perkins, Pickett, Okoro, and Forrester are gone. We have a lot of players who are technically eligible to return but who might not based on pro or other opportunities (and I think they'll all have graduated by May): Collins (99.9% gone), Thatch, Jimerson, Hargrove. There's also the possibility a younger non-rotation player jumps for minutes elsewhere.

That lone remaining on-paper scholarship was only going to be used on someone like Kachi Nzeh, a big with high potential who could play immediately. There aren't a ton of them available in the 2023 class at the moment.

Regardless of who returns out of the guys who still have eligibility, we need bigs who can play immediately. Right now next year's front court is just Cisse and Vice. So the only question is just how many spots we'll have beyond that and we just have to wait until spring.

I forgot Rivera in my post above. If Legend Jr continues to impress, pretty sure he’ll land a scholie. For some reason I don’t think our 3 FR on scholarship will jump. I think they know this is a veteran team and a learning year for themselves. Hopefully, we get some blowouts that will get them 5-7 mpg. 

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I forgot Rivera in my post above. If Legend Jr continues to impress, pretty sure he’ll land a scholie. For some reason I don’t think our 3 FR on scholarship will jump. I think they know this is a veteran team and a learning year for themselves. Hopefully, we get some blowouts that will get them 5-7 mpg. 

Cisse, Hughes Jr. & Thames all got 2min vs. Murray St. Hopefully that trend continues and Kramer gets in too.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Check what the 247 sports.com printed in their timeline, link below.

Still the question remains the same, can a player commit to a school before receiving an offer? If this is the case, I assume the commitment becomes valid when the school gives him an official offer. Is this doable?

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in Hughes Jr. becomes a starter and integral part of the team over multiple seasons and is never on scholarship. Having one more scholarship for coach to improve the roster with might mean more to him than taking it himself.

Old guy likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Still the question remains the same, can a player commit to a school before receiving an offer? If this is the case, I assume the commitment becomes valid when the school gives him an official offer. Is this doable?

They just had their timeline wrong. He was offered about a month beforehand, and whoever maintains the page for 247 didn’t take the time to get the dates right. 

Directly from Cian: 

offered July 11th: 

Visited August 4th:

Committed August 6th: 

majerus mojo likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I don't think TJ jumps as he will be likely be penciled in as a starter. I'd love to see Gibby hang around for another year. On the Murray St broadcast they said he's only a sophomore because of his RS year. Who knows what he'll do. Is he ready to dip his toe into the NBA pool? Does he want to finish his college career closer to home? He's after a career in finance, so would he jump to an elite business school for a free pricey MBA? One thing's for sure he's gonna have options. 

Agree we're gonna need a ready to play bigs. Ideally at least one with 2 years left. Adding a Forrester or Linssen clone would be great. Also, a PG with some experience will be needed. Someone said if we can make a run this season our prospects to meet our needs will be improved. However, let's not forget the 800lb gorilla in the room, ie NLI. 

1 hour ago, Compton said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in Hughes Jr. becomes a starter and integral part of the team over multiple seasons and is never on scholarship. Having one more scholarship for coach to improve the roster with might mean more to him than taking it himself.

IMO If he plays big minutes, he should be on a scholarship regardless of his family's financials.  

BIG BILL FAN, AGB91 and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Interesting.

On a completely unrelated topic, I think it would be nice to bring the "bad post" option back.

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Interesting.

On a completely unrelated topic, I think it would be nice to bring the "bad post" option back.

It was abused on occasion but then what the heck isn't.....how about an ignore function that allows you to say why.... "I'm ignoring this poster because he's a pedantic twit"  Again that would probably be abused too....

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is one of the funniest thought experiments this board has ever proposed. Try not to blow a gasket on this one.

majerus mojo likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I don't think TJ jumps as he will be likely be penciled in as a starter. I'd love to see Gibby hang around for another year. On the Murray St broadcast they said he's only a sophomore because of his RS year. Who knows what he'll do. Is he ready to dip his toe into the NBA pool? Does he want to finish his college career closer to home? He's after a career in finance, so would he jump to an elite business school for a free pricey MBA? One thing's for sure he's gonna have options. 

Agree we're gonna need a ready to play bigs. Ideally at least one with 2 years left. Adding a Forrester or Linssen clone would be great. Also, a PG with some experience will be needed. Someone said if we can make a run this season our prospects to meet our needs will be improved. However, let's not forget the 800lb gorilla in the room, ie NLI. 

What are the chances we get Fletcher for 2 years or bring back Gordon to be our big?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

A player can commit to a school before receiving an offer but it is like a contract, you can say you want to buy a house but until the guy who owns it says OK it is only a wish.

OK, that is good. A commitment is a contract which is not valid until both sides sign. That is fine and straightforward.