OT World Cup Roster

HoosierPal

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Tell you what, that we’re not on the same level as wales? Absolutely we are. 

USMNT "fans" are the weirdest group in all of sports. No group is more critical and pessimistic than any other fan group in any sport. It is almost a point of pride to degrade the team or players. The reality is that our top group of players (Reyna, Musah, Adams, Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, McKennie, Dest, Turner, Sargent, Ream, and Jedi) are better than the top group at Wales and Iran and are more than capable of competing with the English team. It is also an absurd hobby to watch these same fans argue passionately over spots 22-26 on the roster and trash Gregg for his choices even though none of these players will play a minute in this World Cup. 

Everyone trashes Aaron Long and Jesus F., but when both transfer to England next year they will be magically considered great. Just track the perception of Tim Ream and Brenden Aaronson over the last couple years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, davidnark said:

USMNT "fans" are the weirdest group in all of sports. No group is more critical and pessimistic than any other fan group in any sport. It is almost a point of pride to degrade the team or players. The reality is that our top group of players (Reyna, Musah, Adams, Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, McKennie, Dest, Turner, Sargent, Ream, and Jedi) are better than the top group at Wales and Iran and are more than capable of competing with the English team. It is also an absurd hobby to watch these same fans argue passionately over spots 22-26 on the roster and trash Gregg for his choices even though none of these players will play a minute in this World Cup. 

Everyone trashes Aaron Long and Jesus F., but when both transfer to England next year they will be magically considered great. Just track the perception of Tim Ream and Brenden Aaronson over the last couple years.

The problem with Long is he isn’t the 22-26 spot on the roster. Gregg will start him. And he’s not international quality. And I don’t see him getting a move to Europe at this point.  He was decent three years ago, but since his injury he’s a totally different player. 

I have no problem with MLS.  I’m fine with Ferreira, Yedlin, Zimmerman, and I would’ve loved to see Mihailovic and Slonina (as 3rd GK). My problem is when mediocre MLS players who have never challenged themselves outside the league are chosen over more deserving players. I’m talking Long, Roldan, Morris.  And look how long it took Gregg to drop Zardes, Lletget, Yuiell.  His “loyalty” to some really mediocre players is baffling 

Zink likes this

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

The problem with Long is he isn’t the 22-26 spot on the roster. Gregg will start him. And he’s not international quality. And I don’t see him getting a move to Europe at this point.  He was decent three years ago, but since his injury he’s a totally different player. 

I have no problem with MLS.  I’m fine with Ferreira, Yedlin, Zimmerman, and I would’ve loved to see Mihailovic and Slonina (as 3rd GK). My problem is when mediocre MLS players who have never challenged themselves outside the league are chosen over more deserving players. I’m talking Long, Roldan, Morris.  And look how long it took Gregg to drop Zardes, Lletget, Yuiell.  His “loyalty” to some really mediocre players is baffling 

It is crazy to care that he took Roldan and Morris. He took Roldan because he is his best bridge communication between the staff and the players, and if he plays it will be a few minutes to run his butt off and help kill off the last few minutes of the game. He took Morris because his workout data shows he still has world class speed. He is only on the team if they need a direct winger to stretch the game in the last few minutes. He took Long because he is apparently the best athlete among his center backs in the absence of Richards and Robinson (both of whom would have played ahead of him). Pefok has been awful for the last month and a half and does not press or track back. Pepi got a raw deal, but he has many great years ahead and will star in the Olympics and U20 World Cup. The whole Brooks narrative just provides the madness of the fan base; he hasn't played league minutes in over 6 months. I don't know what happened with Steffen and feel for him, but Turner is better. The top 20 selections were spot on, and the last 6 are coaches preferences for every team. 

3 minutes ago, davidnark said:

It is crazy to care that he took Roldan and Morris. He took Roldan because he is his best bridge communication between the staff and the players, and if he plays it will be a few minutes to run his butt off and help kill off the last few minutes of the game. He took Morris because his workout data shows he still has world class speed. He is only on the team if they need a direct winger to stretch the game in the last few minutes. He took Long because he is apparently the best athlete among his center backs in the absence of Richards and Robinson (both of whom would have played ahead of him). Pefok has been awful for the last month and a half and does not press or track back. Pepi got a raw deal, but he has many great years ahead and will star in the Olympics and U20 World Cup. The whole Brooks narrative just provides the madness of the fan base; he hasn't played league minutes in over 6 months. I don't know what happened with Steffen and feel for him, but Turner is better. The top 20 selections were spot on, and the last 6 are coaches preferences for every team. 

Well said both posts. 

majerus mojo likes this

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Tim Ream has been in England for 12 years.  The reason why the perception of Tim Ream has gone up the last couple of seasons is he has been injury free the last couple of seasons.  The five or seasons before that he was dealing with various issues.  He got healthy and his play improved.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Tim Ream has been in England for 12 years.  The reason why the perception of Tim Ream has gone up the last couple of seasons is he has been injury free the last couple of seasons.  The five or seasons before that he was dealing with various issues.  He got healthy and his play improved.

Except that when Tim was called up for a qualifier over a year ago while he was killing it in the English Championship, the US Twitter Soccer Mafia blasted Gregg and trashed Tim. Now, over a year later, Tim is killing it the EPL and the Mafia is bashing Gregg because they thought he wouldn't call up Tim. The reality is that Ream was playing at a the same level during this entire period, but the Mafia fan base determines 99.99% of a player's value solely on their club and league affiliation. When the mainstream soccer media even suggests anything the coaching staff does may have merit, crazy conspiracy theories tied to SUM and MLS are always thrown about the Mafia. It is nonsense.

IT'S A WORLD WIDE CONSPIRACY!  Does Don Garber have World Wide Power, or what!

Worldwide context

35: MLS's 35 World Cup players are the most of any league in the Americas, only eclipsed globally by the Premier League, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 in the overall number of players called into the World Cup.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

IT'S A WORLD WIDE CONSPIRACY!  Does Don Garber have World Wide Power, or what!

Worldwide context

35: MLS's 35 World Cup players are the most of any league in the Americas, only eclipsed globally by the Premier League, LaLiga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1 in the overall number of players called into the World Cup.

It really is an odd thing to argue about before a game gets played. They put out the roster, and it’s not like they can submit a new one because people on message boards didn’t like it. Let’s see some results, then after it’s over for the USMNT the argument about player selection can begin.

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

It really is an odd thing to argue about before a game gets played. They put out the roster, and it’s not like they can submit a new one because people on message boards didn’t like it. Let’s see some results, then after it’s over for the USMNT the argument about player selection can begin.

Some good stuff here.  What I don't understand is why you believe Social Media doesn't have the power to control rosters?  Wow.  

Frankly, this board, and likely many many others, argue over the 20th to 26th player on the roster. They likely won't get any playing time anyway.  Third goal tender, really?  The main players on our roster will determine how far we go, not the end of the bench.  

For those looking for a place to watch the USMNT take on England, Perennial Lockwood is having a watch party in their Hall (event space). Looks like they are debuting 2 new beers that day. Doors open at 10am for the first game and they will have their full food and drink menu and even breakfast items. I reserved a 6 top yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

For those looking for a place to watch the USMNT take on England, Perennial Lockwood is having a watch party in their Hall (event space). Looks like they are debuting 2 new beers that day. Doors open at 10am for the first game and they will have their full food and drink menu and even breakfast items. I reserved a 6 top yesterday. 

Yay a place I can walk to

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

O+O Burger, the best in STL. I will scream it from the rooftops

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

O+O is the most overrated restaurant in the city, but the burger slaps

Just to be clear, you're talking about Olive and oak and not O+O, correct?  either way I agree. 

19 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

O+O Burger, the best in STL. I will scream it from the rooftops

Treat yourself to as many Perennial burgers as you can stomach a week from tomorrow. Essentially the same burger as O+O. Bolyards meat. 

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yay a place I can walk to

Doesn't get much better than that.

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

O+O is the most overrated restaurant in the city, but the burger slaps

Their cocktails, sandwiches, and vegetables (sides) are top notch but I agree that their main course options don't make my socks roll up and down.

I don't think there is a better lunch spot in STL than Perennial Lockwood. Outstanding food, a great kids menu that my kids actually enjoy, great beer and cocktails, and nice al fresco options for 9 months of the year. Gets dangerous, @wgstl, when you know you can just walk home so the number of beverages ordered tends to be way more than 1 or 2. 

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Treat yourself to as many Perennial burgers as you can stomach a week from tomorrow. Essentially the same burger as O+O. Bolyards meat. 

Their cocktails, sandwiches, and vegetables (sides) are top notch but I agree that their main course options don't make my socks roll up and down.

I don't think there is a better lunch spot in STL than Perennial Lockwood. Outstanding food, a great kids menu that my kids actually enjoy, great beer and cocktails, and nice al fresco options for 9 months of the year. Gets dangerous, @wgstl, when you know you can just walk home so the number of beverages ordered tends to be way more than 1 or 2. 

I work a few doors down and live right behind it. Feels like I live there at times. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I work a few doors down and live right behind it. Feels like I live there at times. 

did you when the smelly auto shop was there? I am confused by the whole set up. is O&O inside Prennial, the same thing or 2 different spaces? I did enjoy the burger when they were on the corner.

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

did you when the smelly auto shop was there? I am confused by the whole set up. is O&O inside Prennial, the same thing or 2 different spaces? I did enjoy the burger when they were on the corner.

Lived a few blocks away in a different house at that point.

Its one big building that's split up. Perennial has a separate walk in area than Olive and oak.  but also some shared areas like the outside. 

40 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agree with all of this. The only thing missing at Perennial is better TV placement. 

3 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Agree with all of this. The only thing missing at Perennial is better TV placement. 

100%. Unless you are a giraffe you really have to strain your neck to watch their TVs.

Glad they are utilizing the Hall for their watch party and bringing out a giant screen. I was worried it would just be those 2 TVs 600 feet above the bar.