OT World Cup Roster

HoosierPal

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Suggestions? Alternatives? 

Literally anyone else…?   Long is essentially a traffic cone since his injury.  Just on the roster alone, I’d start Ream or CCV alongside Zim.  Not on the roster, I’d take Brooks, EPB, Sands, McKenzie. Hell, I’d even take Justen Glad or Matt Miazga before Long.  

Long got torched all year by MLS attackers, how do we think he’s gonna cope with Kane ?

stmdragons and Zink like this

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Literally anyone else…?   Long is essentially a traffic cone since his injury.  Just on the roster alone, I’d start Ream or CCV alongside Zim.  Not on the roster, I’d take Brooks, EPB, Sands, McKenzie. Hell, I’d even take Justen Glad or Matt Miazga before Long.  

Long got torched all year by MLS attackers, how do we think he’s gonna cope with Kane ?

Yeah I’m not sure Long would be in top 10-15, much less top 2, and fwiw Zimmerman hasn’t been great post-Robinson either. The pairing was really good against some subpar teams (and Mexico), but for now the position is in some real trouble. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

7 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Yeah I’m not sure Long would be in top 10-15, much less top 2, and fwiw Zimmerman hasn’t been great post-Robinson either. The pairing was really good against some subpar teams (and Mexico), but for now the position is in some real trouble. 

Agreed, I’m not huge on Zim either, but he’s maybe the next best option we’ve got for now. Ideally if everyone was healthy, I’d have M. Robinson and Richards starting, but as is, I’d probably go Ream and Zim. It’s close between Zim and CCV for me, but I’ll give it to Zim because of experience. 

10 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I can appreciate your opinion and I agree on Long but honestly an equal case can be made against everyone you listed. All of them will probably struggle vs Kane lol. The fact just is that it’s a weak group and made especially weak losing Miles. 

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I can appreciate your opinion and I agree on Long but honestly an equal case can be made against everyone you listed. All of them will probably struggle vs Kane lol. The fact just is that it’s a weak group and made especially weak losing Miles. 

It’s definitely a position we lack depth in.  Obviously all above would/will struggle against Kane, but I fear Long will struggle against any international caliber striker, even from Wales or Iran.  It all just makes GGG’s exile of Brooks all the more baffling. Brooks wasn’t without flaws, but it’s hard to argue he wasn’t the best of a bad group of CBs.  Plus he has extensive Bundesliga/UCL experience.

Overall, I agree, there  aren’t a ton of good CB options with our injuries there.  I just think starting Long, even with no outstanding other options, is really playing with fire. I’d love to see him succeed at the WC, and I’ll be rooting for him to do so. Just don’t see it happening. We’ve seen him fail all cycle. 

15 hours ago, BilliKat said:

What are everyone’s expectations of how this will play out?

Realistic:  1-3 points, out in group stage. 

optimistic (semi possible): 4 points, out in first knockout round. 

Best case: 6 points, get a beatable knockout round opponent, get to the quarters where anything can happen, especially with our talent/depth in midfield and wing. 

I just don’t see our back line being strong enough, unfortunately. Adams dropping back to help out defensively will be huge.

I’m not as worried about ST as some.  I’m high on Sargent, think he looks better for the national team when he’s got some talent around him.  Not as low on Ferreira as others, but he’s more of a false 9 than anything. 

Zink and BilliesBy40 like this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My guess is 

England 7

wales 5

usa 4

iran 0 

Shows how important 3 points is against Wales in our first game.  During the roster reveal, when asked about winning the first game, Gregg said something along the lines of, “we’ve seen situations where teams have not won the first game and still been able to advance.” Or something along those lines. Seems like coach speak, surely he knows 1 point is precarious and 0 they’re borderline doomed. 

The 3 points vs Ghana in 2014 was the only thing that took us through. Hope Gregg comes out with our strongest lineup vs Wales. 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Shows how important 3 points is against Wales in our first game.  During the roster reveal, when asked about winning the first game, Gregg said something along the lines of, “we’ve seen situations where teams have not won the first game and still been able to advance.” Or something along those lines. Seems like coach speak, surely he knows 1 point is precarious and 0 they’re borderline doomed. 

The 3 points vs Ghana in 2014 was the only thing that took us through. Hope Gregg comes out with our strongest lineup vs Wales. 

Absolutely. A draw favors wales imo. 

Talent-wise, we are a lot closer to England than the other two imo. We're young and Berhalter isn't the man for the job, BUT our talent can prevail. A healthy Reyna is back. He looks like a world beater in Dortmund right now. Our Leeds lads have been very good. Call me a homer, but IF Gregg stays out of the way (that's a big if), I've talked myself into the possibility of winning the group. England is really thin where we are deep - our wings vs their back line, especially if Walker isn't fit. I think our midfield can play with theirs. I think Jude could give us fits, but if Southgate plays any of Mount/Henderson/Gallagher, they're in big trouble. If they elect to go with two, advantage US. Their best creator is Maddison and Southgate has never played him when he's had the chance. Phillips will give us fits as we go forward, but not sure if Southgate will play him. Now, Dest and Jedi will have to play really well, as Foden is truly world class and Saka has been playing well as of late (fwiw, Ream and Robinson both played well vs City and Arsenal this season). Grealish would give us fits in the final third but Southgate hasn't played him with regularity either. Tuchel (RIP) turned Sterling from one of the most dynamic players in the world under Pep to just another guy. We need to be weary of giving away free kicks. Trippier is one of the best in the world.

As you can see, my mind is far enough away from Saudi Arabia to where I've talked myself into this. Don't try to disagree with me. I'm the one who is right. Just be ready for an all-time day drinking day on 11/25. And three points.

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Talent-wise, we are a lot closer to England than the other two imo. We're young and Berhalter isn't the man for the job, BUT our talent can prevail. A healthy Reyna is back. He looks like a world beater in Dortmund right now. Our Leeds lads have been very good. Call me a homer, but IF Gregg stays out of the way (that's a big if), I've talked myself into the possibility of winning the group. England is really thin where we are deep - our wings vs their back line, especially if Walker isn't fit. I think our midfield can play with theirs. I think Jude could give us fits, but if Southgate plays any of Mount/Henderson/Gallagher, they're in big trouble. If they elect to go with two, advantage US. Their best creator is Maddison and Southgate has never played him when he's had the chance. Phillips will give us fits as we go forward, but not sure if Southgate will play him. Now, Dest and Jedi will have to play really well, as Foden is truly world class and Saka has been playing well as of late (fwiw, Ream and Robinson both played well vs City and Arsenal this season). Grealish would give us fits in the final third but Southgate hasn't played him with regularity either. Tuchel (RIP) turned Sterling from one of the most dynamic players in the world under Pep to just another guy. We need to be weary of giving away free kicks. Trippier is one of the best in the world.

As you can see, my mind is far enough away from Saudi Arabia to where I've talked myself into this. Don't try to disagree with me. I'm the one who is right. Just be ready for an all-time day drinking day on 11/25. And three points.

Good analysis.  Agree with pretty much everything. The top end of England’s team is World Class, but I agree in terms of average talent level, we are significantly closer to England than Wales or Iran are. My worry is that Wales always seem to play better than the sum of their parts (reminds me of ‘02 or ‘09 USMNT teams.)

We have guys good enough to play with England.  Key will be not letting them expose our CBs. Adams is huge in that regard.  
For the opener, I would go (assuming everyone on the roster can play):

GK: Horvath (Gregg will go Turner, I’m ok with him too, just prefer Horvath) 

LB: Robinson

LCB: Ream (Gregg will play Long)

RCB: Zimmerman

RB: Dest (watch this space. Gregg could go with Yedlin for his WC experience, especially if Dest isn’t 100%)

DM: Adams 

CM: McKennie

CM: Musah

LW: Pulisic

RW: Reyna

ST: Sargent (I think Gregg goes Ferreira)

I could see Gregg going with either Aaronson or Weah at RW too, either of which would be ok with me.  Or Aaronson at CM if McKennie isn’t ready to go.   One thing is sure, we should have game changing options off the bench, more so than we’ve ever had before.   I could be wrong, but I don’t think we’ve ever had basically all of our top young MF/Attackers healthy on the same roster until now.  Knocking furiously on wood that it stays that way til the 21st  

majerus mojo likes this

16 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Good analysis.  Agree with pretty much everything. The top end of England’s team is World Class, but I agree in terms of average talent level, we are significantly closer to England than Wales or Iran are. My worry is that Wales always seem to play better than the sum of their parts (reminds me of ‘02 or ‘09 USMNT teams.)

We have guys good enough to play with England.  Key will be not letting them expose our CBs. Adams is huge in that regard.  
For the opener, I would go (assuming everyone on the roster can play):

GK: Horvath (Gregg will go Turner, I’m ok with him too, just prefer Horvath) 

LB: Robinson

LCB: Ream (Gregg will play Long)

RCB: Zimmerman

RB: Dest (watch this space. Gregg could go with Yedlin for his WC experience, especially if Dest isn’t 100%)

DM: Adams 

CM: McKennie

CM: Musah

LW: Pulisic

RW: Reyna

ST: Sargent (I think Gregg goes Ferreira)

I could see Gregg going with either Aaronson or Weah at RW too, either of which would be ok with me.  Or Aaronson at CM if McKennie isn’t ready to go.   One thing is sure, we should have game changing options off the bench, more so than we’ve ever had before.   I could be wrong, but I don’t think we’ve ever had basically all of our top young MF/Attackers healthy on the same roster until now.  Knocking furiously on wood that it stays that way til the 21st  

Not a whole lot to disagree with here.  I'm seeing Turner playing the three Group matches, unless he is hurt. 

Ream and Sargent are on the team because they play against a number of the Wales and England players weekly.  While they both won't start those two matches, I see them getting plenty of action. 

Of the 26 on the squad, maybe 16 to 19 will see action in the first three matches. 

For me success is getting into the Knock Out Round.

majerus mojo likes this

3 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I get what you’re saying but England talent wise is top 5, now that doesn’t mean they play like it, especially as of late.

44 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Sorta disagree. Going into the WC we’re level with wales. Much higher upside, but all things considered, level. England missed out on CBs who I thought they were wrong on, but outside of very very few spots it’s way better than us.

only reason I think wales goes on is because of wales v England. This means the world to wales, not so much for England. I can see wales fighting for at least a point

18 hours ago, Littlebill said:

You are correct about Maddison.  LCFC folks ecstatic he was called up.  I’m worried Southgate has come to realize Maddison’s talents…he can carve up a defense like no one else.

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

Sorta disagree. Going into the WC we’re level with wales. Much higher upside, but all things considered, level. England missed out on CBs who I thought they were wrong on, but outside of very very few spots it’s way better than us.

only reason I think wales goes on is because of wales v England. This means the world to wales, not so much for England. I can see wales fighting for at least a point

Look at Wales squad 1-26 and tell me that with a straight face

On 11/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Gremio14 said:

Kipp Keller….

I wish he were ready,  probably next WC.  He didn't start very much for Austin FC this year.  It was a damn good 2nd year for the new franchise. 

As to selection being a club manager and National Team manager are different animals.  I don't agree with all Berhalter's decisions but we qualified and won the Gold Cup.  So he's getting some results. I don't think there's an MLS quota it's that they have to balance players in form.  If you're riding the pine in Europe you may not be as in form as a regular MLS starter.

I'm happy Skally and Reyna are healthy they faced off for the 1st time in Bundesliga this week with M'gladbach coming out on top.   Good for my team Eintracht to move up the table and is rumored to add 1 more American to the roster (Timothy Chandler is currently there) Paxton Aaronson. So that's exciting. 

Anyway I'll be watching from Colombia soccer is kinda big deal here.   We play Colombia in a friendly 28 January.  I'll try to watch it out and not get shot.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, wgstl said:

I guess it depends if you’re saying we are level talent wise, or performance wise. Talent wise I’d definitely argue we are ahead of Wales. They have solid players, but no one on the likes of Juventus, Dortmund, AC Milan. 

but as I said in my post, they play much better than the sum of their parts. I think a fair argument could be made that performance wise, we are on the same level.  It’ll be a tough game, especially since they’ll be fired up to finally be back at a WC.  Still think we need to get the 3 points.