GDT: Home Opener vs Murray State

The report about last night's SLU vs Murray state was released this morning. The stats of this one prior game shows SLU's stats being superior in ALL categories offensive and defensive with the exception of two. These were in the defense Blocks where they had 2 blocks to our single block, and in the offense FTA/FGA where they had 0.3 to our 0.216.

With SLU going over the Vegas line by a good margin, we were advanced by TR to 41 in ranking.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I think Forrester has a real shot to supplant Okoro as the starter.  Minutes reasonably evenly split last night, but Okoro didn't show me much on the offensive end while Forrester did more on offense.  Not incredible stuff, just significantly more.  On D, neither shined.  Okoro is the much better defender, even if he didn't dominate last night.  

Coach getting on Okoro last night hopefully sent him a constructive message.  

Maybe a matchup to matchup situation.  

Good reminder about Okoro's defensive strength. On the offensive end the contrast was pretty stark last night, with Forrester seeming to have better court vision, making good passes, appearing more confident and quick with the pick n' roll, protecting the ball, going up strong and finding buckets.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Even if 2 and 3 are correct and that is matter for discussion apparently, anybody can make a mistake and realize it.  Apparently the team doesn't think your way.  Life in college BB is different then it was 50 years ago so wake up Rip Van Winkle.

I agree that life all over, not only in college basketball, is completely different than it was 50 years ago. This does not make it better than it was 50 years ago. Compare the economic prosperity and standing of the US, the number of factories, and the number of middle class people that worked in factories and were able to send their kids to college on their salaries with the way it is now. You will see the change has not been for the best for huge numbers of people. Surely, a smallish minority has become a lot wealthier and more powerful, but a lot of people lost a lot of ground in their standard of living in the last 50 years.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

100 percent agree good post.

It’s a good thing that my only complaint was the starters playing too long.

I heard the coach on the radio say that about Perkins lacking confidence.

NET rankings taking into account margin of victory could be a factor here, if Ford didn't want to see the lead dip into single digits. 

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I agree that life all over, not only in college basketball, is completely different than it was 50 years ago. This does not make it better than it was 50 years ago. Compare the economic prosperity and standing of the US, the number of factories, and the number of middle class people that worked in factories and were able to send their kids to college on their salaries with the way it is now. You will see the change has not been for the best for huge numbers of people. Surely, a smallish minority has become a lot wealthier and more powerful, but a lot of people lost a lot of ground in their standard of living in the last 50 years.

Well while Ihold your view about our country, I hardly would liken it to CBB.  The first is far more important.

Old guy likes this

Was Perkins lacking in confidence, or just playing a little cautious? It would be natural if the memory of tearing up his knee lurks in the back of his mind. Hopefully over time the memory fades and he just gets back to being his old self fully. 

Just now, slu72 said:

Was Perkins lacking in confidence, or just playing a little cautious? It would be natural if the memory of tearing up his knee lurks in the back of his mind. Hopefully over time the memory fades and he just gets back to being his old self fully. 

Definitely both, understandably so. That and one he had I'm sure boosted a ton of confidence in him though

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Only quoting the Coach.  I have no reason to doubt him.

Yuri Collins played last night as if the objective were to say "Hey @Old guy, go f*** yourself." It's no surprise he can't eat his words today but it's so nice to be able to say he was wrong about, well, everything. 

Parker is going to be real special. There was one shot where I swear he was still in the air after the ball was through the net - looked like a video game shooting form. I'm not too worried about when Yuri Collins sits because if we have Fred running point and guarding the 4 while Parker, Jimerson, and Perkins burn the building to the ground it just won't matter. 

Did anyone else jump out of their seat when Gibby flushed it on that back door connection with Yuri? Last year's Gibby wouldn't have dreamed of getting above the rim for that, which is fine, but boy do I love the confidence. 

Perkins was obviously not 100%. And it was also obvious that it (probably) won't take long to get there. That should be scary for everyone. I've got the over on 3.5 >30pt games from him this year. The best part was even at ~70% he was so much better than OG seemed to hope he would be this year. 

Forrester is going to make Okoro so much better. Practicing against someone who has the skillset pieces that we wish he'd develop is exactly how he will go about developing it. The two of them will be center 1A and 1B all year and yes, Forrester is an improvement over Linssen - which is not an easy ask. 

Pickett is the perfect Billiken bully ball prototype. Does a bit of everything, all of which he does with a ton of hustle. He and Fred are two peas in a pod and minus a bit of PG skills he reminds me a lot of a taller Goodwin. 

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I will list what I have against Yuri:

1. He did not play the last game against NIT. He was interested in better things like money.

2. He sent a text or email to the team in which he declared them not to be family, his family was the biological family.

3. He came back with his tail in between the legs when the deal with Tennessee fell through.

I do not consider Yuri to be an integral part of what I consider a team should be. He is not loyal to the team, and I believe he is capable of doing again what he did at the end of last year. I also regret that the team depends on him to play well and has trouble playing optimally without him (this is not his fault). This makes it relatively easy for other teams to choke the Bills by choking Yuri.

You should feel free to love Yuri, but get ready to be betrayed and feel panicked again by Yuri at the end of this season, particularly if the widespread belief that this will be a spectacular season for the Bills comes to pass. As far as I am concerned, once someone stops being part of a team by his actions and by his words, they should stay out of the team for good.

I have no problem fully acknowledging that he is a very good player.

I could have some of the facts wrong, but the way I understood it, Yuri was offered a relatively large sum of money ($50k ?) to play for nationally ranked Tenn in the high-profile SEC. Even though I don't like it, I wouldn't blame any college kid for taking that deal. Apparently, he got an NLI counter-offer to stay at SLU. My guess is that it was an inferior offer to Tenn, but he has some loyalty to his hometown and the Billikens, so he decided to stay.

OG, don't blame the playa', blame the game.

pickens reminded me of evans.   i am mildly surprised about his play.   i saw him a number of times in high school, but it was always versus EJ Liddell so he always came out the loser.   then he had the "im going to illinois"   no "i am going to miSSouri" two step thing and played in a horrible Mi$$ouri period.   so why would anyone expect much?   he showed last night he is good and will be a huge key to our success this year. 

forrester is really a nice player.   but i still think he isnt going to be as good as Okoro once the season gets going.   i wonder how effective they would be together.   even if for only short periods?   but since we really have no other inside, probably best to use like we used them last night.  

gotta like jimerson.  now he is slam dunking back doors!  and you gotta love his fearlessness from the outside.   put it up!  as Jimmy Chitwood says in Hoosiers, "i'll make it."  bam he got another one.

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

It’s a good thing that my only complaint was the starters playing too long.

That’s a fair point, but at the same time, we saw plenty of times last year where we got a 10-15 point lead midway through the second half, only to change how we played and ultimately blew the lead and lost. Maybe I’ll have a different opinion if somebody picks up an injury inside 2:00 to go with a 20 point lead, but for now I’m all for keeping the foot on the gas.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

gotta like jimerson.  now he is slam dunking back doors!  and you gotta love his fearlessness from the outside.   put it up!  as Jimmy Chitwood says in Hoosiers, "i'll make it."  bam he got another one.

He started doing it a little last year but he got hit pretty hard on that and one too,  good to see him take contact like that and finish.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but since we really have no other inside, probably best to use like we used them last night.

Hopefully Cissé develops enough to get a little time - similar to Traore getting pockets of time even though Linssen and Okoro were the go to options (usually because of Linssen's foul trouble).

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

pickens reminded me of evans.   i am mildly surprised about his play.   i saw him a number of times in high school, but it was always versus EJ Liddell so he always came out the loser.   then he had the "im going to illinois"   no "i am going to miSSouri" two step thing and played in a horrible Mi$$ouri period.   so why would anyone expect much?   he showed last night he is good and will be a huge key to our success this year. 

forrester is really a nice player.   but i still think he isnt going to be as good as Okoro once the season gets going.   i wonder how effective they would be together.   even if for only short periods?   but since we really have no other inside, probably best to use like we used them last night.  

I was more impressed with Pickett - just kidding.  I was disappointed in GIbson's D last night but he made up for with his offense.

8 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

That’s a fair point, but at the same time, we saw plenty of times last year where we got a 10-15 point lead midway through the second half, only to change how we played and ultimately blew the lead and lost. Maybe I’ll have a different opinion if somebody picks up an injury inside 2:00 to go with a 20 point lead, but for now I’m all for keeping the foot on the gas.

Besides the new guys, what impressed me last night was how we played fast the whole game. No Yurimania dribbling in and out of the trees, it was find an open man and press the launch button. 

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

We also have two of our most important games of the season within the first four games. It is critical to ensure our starters and rotational guys are firing on all cylinders very soon.