GDT: Home Opener vs Murray State

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

This tiny blurb on Yuri is great after you spent the entire Wiz Preseason thread dumping on him/asking for Ramey. 14 assists, 0 turnovers. As well as expected 

I will list what I have against Yuri:

1. He did not play the last game against NIT. He was interested in better things like money.

2. He sent a text or email to the team in which he declared them not to be family, his family was the biological family.

3. He came back with his tail in between the legs when the deal with Tennessee fell through.

I do not consider Yuri to be an integral part of what I consider a team should be. He is not loyal to the team, and I believe he is capable of doing again what he did at the end of last year. I also regret that the team depends on him to play well and has trouble playing optimally without him (this is not his fault). This makes it relatively easy for other teams to choke the Bills by choking Yuri.

You should feel free to love Yuri, but get ready to be betrayed and feel panicked again by Yuri at the end of this season, particularly if the widespread belief that this will be a spectacular season for the Bills comes to pass. As far as I am concerned, once someone stops being part of a team by his actions and by his words, they should stay out of the team for good.

I have no problem fully acknowledging that he is a very good player.

imo while the rebounds was huge, ill take the fact we played fast almost the entire game against another team that also like to play fast.  i.e. we set the pace.   we didnt try to change them.  

it was a fun game.   while i expected forrester to be an adequate backup, he was very good.   yuri double digit assists were awesome but the zero turnover was even more important. 

as wiz insinuated, we won big, but we didnt even shoot like we are capable of.  we start making 3's at a plus 40% rate, the world will be talking about the billikens. 

my only knock was having yuri play that much.   i know he is the gasoline of the billikens engine, but we better prepare for the day he has foul trouble or injury.   young hughes should have played more.   imo he is our next point guard.   give him a few more minutes.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

imo while the rebounds was huge, ill take the fact we played fast almost the entire game against another team that also like to play fast.  i.e. we set the pace.   we didnt try to change them.  

it was a fun game.   while i expected forrester to be an adequate backup, he was very good.   yuri double digit assists were awesome but the zero turnover was even more important. 

as wiz insinuated, we won big, but we didnt even shoot like we are capable of.  we start making 3's at a plus 40% rate, the world will be talking about the billikens. 

my only knock was having yuri play that much.   i know he is the gasoline of the billikens engine, but we better prepare for the day he has foul trouble or injury.   young hughes should have played more.   imo he is our next point guard.   give him a few more minutes.

I will add when Yuri cramped up he should not had returned to play more minutes.

I thought Perkins should have been pulled out earlier.

Larry Hughes needs to see some time than garbage time I hope that will happen against Evansville.

The team played like I hoped they would play when the got Parker, Pickett, and Forrester.  Then Perkins returns and this team is so much better than last years.

I have some disagreements with coach Ford’s game decisions but I still so happy he is our coach.  This has to be coach Ford’s best recruiting work ever with the transfer’s he has added this season that should result in an A10 championship.

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I will add when Yuri cramped up he should not had returned to play more minutes.

I thought Perkins should have been pulled out earlier.

Larry Hughes needs to see some time than garbage time I hope that will happen against Evansville.

The team played like I hoped they would play when the got Parker, Pickett, and Forrester.  Then Perkins returns and this team is so much better than last years.

I have some disagreements with coach Ford’s game decisions but I still so happy he is our coach.  This has to be coach Ford’s best recruiting work ever with the transfer’s he has added this season that should result in an A10 championship.

Is the PG of the future not here yet?  The problem I think Ford had was when he took the starting 5 players out the play typically sloppy, the defense soft and the shooting got derailed.  The Racers got it down to 11 and maybe even 9 more than once so I think he was concerned of letting the game either slip away or end up a 5 point win.  Fortunately Perkins got hit the nuts and that got him out of it.  Yuri coming back in may have been a chance to settle things down so the mop up crew could come in.  Thatch overall played decent at PG when he had to but the problem is he is not a PG and we miss him when he is out position.  Ford has his faults like all coaches - they tend to not be comfortable with anybody but their go to guys.  I also wonder if the Perkins thing was due to what Ford said in the post game interview - Perkins has been lacking confidence in his knee and once he started to cook some Ford thought he needed that time to build his confidence.

Zink and CBFan like this

42 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Is the PG of the future not here yet?  The problem I think Ford had was when he took the starting 5 players out the play typically sloppy, the defense soft and the shooting got derailed.  The Racers got it down to 11 and maybe even 9 more than once so I think he was concerned of letting the game either slip away or end up a 5 point win.  Fortunately Perkins got hit the nuts and that got him out of it.  Yuri coming back in may have been a chance to settle things down so the mop up crew could come in.  Thatch overall played decent at PG when he had to but the problem is he is not a PG and we miss him when he is out position.  Ford has his faults like all coaches - they tend to not be comfortable with anybody but their go to guys.  I also wonder if the Perkins thing was due to what Ford said in the post game interview - Perkins has been lacking confidence in his knee and once he started to cook some Ford thought he needed that time to build his confidence.

100 percent agree good post.

It’s a good thing that my only complaint was the starters playing too long.

I heard the coach on the radio say that about Perkins lacking confidence.

A few observations from an extremely solid opener:

- Franco looked to pass more often.  The competition from Forester will make both players better

- Pickett fits right in.  He's another player, like Thatch, that can help in many, many ways

- I had forgotten that Perkins' shot is so smooth.  It was awesome watching his return.

- Glad Jimmer kept shooting and started hitting them.  Shooters gotta shoot.

- So many players hungry for rebounds.  

- Yuri's 14 assists to 0 TO's is insane. Much better ball movement than last year.

- Parker will be really good.  Natural scorer.

- This year's gonna be fun!

I think Forrester has a real shot to supplant Okoro as the starter.  Minutes reasonably evenly split last night, but Okoro didn't show me much on the offensive end while Forrester did more on offense.  Not incredible stuff, just significantly more.  On D, neither shined.  Okoro is the much better defender, even if he didn't dominate last night.  

Coach getting on Okoro last night hopefully sent him a constructive message.  

Maybe a matchup to matchup situation.  

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If that had happened, there's NO CHANCE myself or someone I know wouldn't have told me.

I didn't read it initially but scrolled up after this. absolutely wild. where does he come up with this shite? the team has moved on. everyone else should too. 

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

I will list what I have against Yuri:

1. He did not play the last game against NIT. He was interested in better things like money.

2. He sent a text or email to the team in which he declared them not to be family, his family was the biological family.

3. He came back with his tail in between the legs when the deal with Tennessee fell through.

I do not consider Yuri to be an integral part of what I consider a team should be. He is not loyal to the team, and I believe he is capable of doing again what he did at the end of last year. I also regret that the team depends on him to play well and has trouble playing optimally without him (this is not his fault). This makes it relatively easy for other teams to choke the Bills by choking Yuri.

You should feel free to love Yuri, but get ready to be betrayed and feel panicked again by Yuri at the end of this season, particularly if the widespread belief that this will be a spectacular season for the Bills comes to pass. As far as I am concerned, once someone stops being part of a team by his actions and by his words, they should stay out of the team for good.

I have no problem fully acknowledging that he is a very good player.

Even if 2 and 3 are correct and that is matter for discussion apparently, anybody can make a mistake and realize it.  Apparently the team doesn't think your way.  Life in college BB is different then it was 50 years ago so wake up Rip Van Winkle.

13 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I think Forrester has a real shot to supplant Okoro as the starter.  Minutes reasonably evenly split last night, but Okoro didn't show me much on the offensive end while Forrester did more on offense.  Not incredible stuff, just significantly more.  On D, neither shined.  Okoro is the much better defender, even if he didn't dominate last night.  

Coach getting on Okoro last night hopefully sent him a constructive message.  

Maybe a matchup to matchup situation.  

You hit the nail on the head your last sentence. This was a brutal matchup for Okoro. Was constantly being dragged to the 3 point line on defense last night.