The Bills over MSU by 12

The Wiz

Opening games are always tough ...at least when it comes to spreads.  There is no real data but there are lots of changes especially in the case of Murray St.  All teams go through changes from one year to the next but M St exceeds. Here is what things look like for State...3 major changes...New roster ...new coach....new league. 

New roster....Here we spell change with a capital C.  The Racers have only 2 players who return from last year's roster....only 1 with significant minutes ...Burns..he comes in with good numbers. after that we are looking at 7 transfers (4 of which are D1) plus 5 freshman.. If they are to do anything this year they will have to gel and do it quickly.

New Coach...Last year's coach left for LSU. After that most of the team scattered. The good news is the new coach is the old coach...ie the predecessor of last year's coach. Steve Prohm who was the coach at M St from 2011 -15...then went Iowa St...His combined record in the last 10 years at the 2 schools was 201-124....He knows how to win.

New league...The Mo Valley is a step up from the OVC. This shouldn't be a problem as Prohm was in the B12 with ISU.  Still, new teams , new venues , new traveling arrangement...there will be a learning curve.

What We Need 2 Do 2 Win (WWN2D2W)...The Bills come into this game as a B+ team.  Murray St arrives with a B- rating. For all the change concerns listed above  MSU is not to be taken lightly.  Burns is the key player with 6.3 rebs /gm and is a 58% shooter from the field. Contain him and we win.  MSU has not gelled yet ...pressure them and they will make mistakes.  The Bills are shooting team ...we need to be a shot making team.....Target slash...50/40/70

Bottom line... This game will be a good test...The Bills are the better team...Better players ...better shooters ...better depth..and more gelled.  However,  MSU has a coach who knows how to win and players who have potential AND they are just good enough that if we are off our game they could rise up and bite us. As for the 12 pt spread...use that as a measuring stick...  10-14 and we are on target. Above 14 and we are looking good....below 10 and we have more work to do. We should /need to win this game....Let's Race to victory ...GO BILLS

I am in full agreement Wiz, I kept on posting in another thread that the game against Murray St. could not be considered a cake walk, that it could be harder to win than it appeared. I am glad to read your post above which confirms what I had posted before in the other thread. I do hope Perkins is fully recovered and capable of playing as he did before, even if it takes some time to get there this season.

I also think your post, emphasizing that MS new coach knows how to win, presents a stark but left unmentioned (in your post) comparison with Ford. Ford is a great recruiter but apparently does not know or is uncertain about how to win games even when he has a significant advantage at the half.

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am in full agreement Wiz, I kept on posting in another thread that the game against Murray St. could not be considered a cake walk, that it could be harder to win than it appeared. I am glad to read your post above which confirms what I had posted before in the other thread. I do hope Perkins is fully recovered and capable of playing as he did before, even if it takes some time to get there this season.

I also think your post, emphasizing that MS new coach knows how to win, presents a stark but left unmentioned (in your post) comparison with Ford. Ford is a great recruiter but apparently does not know or is uncertain about how to win games even when he has a significant advantage at the half.

Old Guy, your criticism of Ford not knowing or uncertain about how to win games is belied by his winning record in the Big 12 and A 10.  Maybe you should stick to medical issues!

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I guess he did not win at EU or UMass either.  

3 hours ago, bauman said:

Old Guy, your criticism of Ford not knowing or uncertain about how to win games is belied by his winning record in the Big 12 and A 10.  Maybe you should stick to medical issues!

I don’t have the problems that Old Gut appears to have with Ford, but he actually had a losing record in Big 12 games.  He is well above .500 in A10 games.

22 hours ago, bauman said:

I’d take medical advice from Kermit the Frog before I’d take advice from old guy.

Cue the 4 paragraph response from old guy with an in depth explanation about the inability of frogs to be Doctors 

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t have the problems that Old Gut appears to have with Ford, but he actually had a losing record in Big 12 games.  He is well above .500 in A10 games.

Actually, his record at OKSt was 155-111, which is what I was referring to. 

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Gonna be a tough battle with Murray. They’ll be jacking lots of threes and it sounds like they have guys who can make them. With there being doubts about Javonte’s availability, this could be a nail-biter. 

Murray State is a good team to start the season no cupcake that is a regional team we have heard of.

SLU will be fine the team is improved from last season and has a lot of experience including players such as Forrester and Pickett that were added.

Yeah doesn’t sound healthy. Most likely Perkins hasn’t fully recovered from his ankle injury. I’m praying it ain’t Yurimania. He’s the straw that stirs the drink and while Ford has praised Legend Jr, does anyone think he’s ready to carry that load? 

The issue that is strange is that, as per Stu, Ford said "the health of the team could be better." From my medical point of view that means there are possibly several players that are not doing well in the team. It really does not matter who it is that is unwell, what matters is that possibly several players have whatever it is at the same time. Cheeseman may well be correct about the reasons for Ford not mentioning names.

I think you should offer to arrange a consultation with  Kermit the Frig, sulfanskip.

dennis_w and billikenbill like this

40 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The issue that is strange is that, as per Stu, Ford said "the health of the team could be better." From my medical point of view that means there are possibly several players that are not doing well in the team. It really does not matter who it is that is unwell, what matters is that possibly several players have whatever it is at the same time. Cheeseman may well be correct about the reasons for Ford not mentioning names.

I think you should offer to arrange a consultation with  Kermit the Frig, sulfanskip.

Old guy stays undefeated.