Hughes Jr.

ACE

I don't really count players who play that few of minutes as part of a rotation.  

Yuri, GJ, Fred, parker, THJ,  pickett, Perkins, Forrester, Okoro is the rotation.  Larry and Kellen may very well see minutes.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don't really count players who play that few of minutes as part of a rotation.  

Yuri, GJ, Fred, parker, THJ,  pickett, Perkins, Forrester, Okoro is the rotation.  Larry and Kellen may very well see minutes.

I would say if you are playing in basically every game, you are in the rotation. I'm not saying that will be the case. There has just been some speculation that his stock has been rising and that maybe Fred is not really the answer to get those 4-6 mpg when Yuri is out of the game. 

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

I would say if you are playing in basically every game, you are in the rotation. I'm not saying that will be the case. There has just been some speculation that his stock has been rising and that maybe Fred is not really the answer to get those 4-6 mpg when Yuri is out of the game. 

I seriously doubt any of the freshman play even 80% of the games.  We have a lot of tough games on the schedule and the best players tend to play more minutes than usual in those situations.

cgeldmacher likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think him being first off the bench against UMSL may have set off the some bells in people's minds regarding his position on this team.

Didn't realize that. I assumed Parker, Forrester, or Hargrove were first off the bench. Surprising to hear he went in before them.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

He might not have been before parker/forrester, but he played a big role in the backcourt.

He was definitely the first of the freshmen to come in. I was surprised and mentioned it to my seat mate. Then TFord said some nice things about Hughes Jr. in Stu's game column.

4 hours ago, pakapablo said:

He was definitely the first of the freshmen to come in. I was surprised and mentioned it to my seat mate. Then TFord said some nice things about Hughes Jr. in Stu's game column.

Ford's comments also got my attention in addition to his playing time in the game. In the offseason Thames was mentioned as a possible back-up PG, but that doesn't appear to even remotely be a possibility. At a minimum, it seems Hughes is the freshman most likely to see the floor. I'm still in the camp that's a bit concerned about how we play when Yuri is not in the game.

4 hours ago, ACE said:

Ford's comments also got my attention in addition to his playing time in the game. In the offseason Thames was mentioned as a possible back-up PG, but that doesn't appear to even remotely be a possibility. At a minimum, it seems Hughes is the freshman most likely to see the floor. I'm still in the camp that's a bit concerned about how we play when Yuri is not in the game.

Agree, love Thatch but last year he was pretty much well below competent at the PG position.  Don't see it being much better this year.  Surprise me Fred! PLEASE.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Ford has mentioned so many different players are handling some back-PG duties because that’s how it will be. Yuri will play 35+ minutes per game. He will only sit for a few possessions at a time. I’m sure a variety of guys will bring the ball up during the limited time Yuri is out of the game.

The fact that Yuri will control the game for us by bringing the ball in mostly all the time he plays makes SLU's game very predictable. Neutralize Yuri and they have us where they  want us. This is not the way it should be, let's go for speed all the time every time and introduce variation in the way we move the ball so that the opponent cannot neutralize our offensive just by concentrating their defense on Yuri.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

The fact that Yuri will control the game for us by bringing the ball in mostly all the time he plays makes SLU's game very predictable. Neutralize Yuri and they have us where they  want us. This is not the way it should be, let's go for speed all the time every time and introduce variation in the way we move the ball so that the opponent cannot neutralize our offensive just by concentrating their defense on Yuri.

It will be different this season because if teams defend the same way teams must deal with 2 scoring creators like Perkins and Parker.

I believe Yuri’s assists will be down this season because Perkins and Parker will be able to create their own shot.

I think Jimerson will open it up for the 2 shot creators because teams will have to chase him.

Teams doubling on Perkins will allow Jimerson more room.

This season I hope to see Perkins Jimerson Perkins Parker or Parker Jimerson combinations for 40 minutes a game.

If the team stays healthy it should be the highest scoring Billikens team ever.

By my research, limited by what SLU shows, only goes back to 2004-05 season.  Last year was the highest Billiken scoring team ever in that run of stats at 75 ppg.   We lost 20 ppg in terms of players that mattered (Nesbitt, Linssen and Jones).  Perkins and his 17 ppg two years ago is back and Parker seems quite an upgrade.  The question I would have is addition over subtraction --- with Parker and Perkins shooting more, does Jimerson and Okoro's totals suffer?  Otherwise, this future is bright.

Have to just run it out there and see where things fall.

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

It will be different this season because if teams defend the same way teams must deal with 2 scoring creators like Perkins and Parker.

I believe Yuri’s assists will be down this season because Perkins and Parker will be able to create their own shot.

I think Jimerson will open it up for the 2 shot creators because teams will have to chase him.

Teams doubling on Perkins will allow Jimerson more room.

This season I hope to see Perkins Jimerson Perkins Parker or Parker Jimerson combinations for 40 minutes a game.

If the team stays healthy it should be the highest scoring Billikens team ever.

I hope that Jimerson, Perkins, and Parker all learn how to create for each other as well.  Each of them can drive and dish, or draw guys away from each other at the three point line and then dish to a more open guy.  Hopefully, the staff is instilling in them they idea that more passes can create more open shots when you are as skilled and dangerous as the three of them are.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I hope that Jimerson, Perkins, and Parker all learn how to create for each other as well.  Each of them can drive and dish, or draw guys away from each other at the three point line and then dish to a more open guy.  Hopefully, the staff is instilling in them they idea that more passes can create more open shots when you are as skilled and dangerous as the three of them are.

When Perkins was used strictly as a go-to guy, he still managed to average 1.8 assists a game.  That would have been second on the team last year.  

BuiltFordBills likes this

If Perkins Parker and Jimmerson average 2 assists per game we will be improved. Jimmerson had a steal and at least two assists against UMSL and rebounded- it was a very good effort almost looked like he was protecting his minutes against a very hot Parker