Congrats Yurimania! Makes Cousy Watchlist

slu72

I don't understand the logic of sitting Yuri in the Northern Iowa game if the whole issue was some sort of potential NIL deal elsewhere.  He was still with us.  Still on the roster. Seems an odd 'punishment' to the entire team if that was it.  His body of work in the NIT would not have changed those circumstances.

Jumping ahead, this team and Ford will face huge issues moving forward.  Perkins, Okoro, Forrester and Pickett are all done.  No doubts there.  Yuri could go pro or enter the NIL portal again as well.  Thatch might be done given his accumulation of degrees.  Jimerson will most certainly be a hot commodity.  Ditto Parker if he goes off this season.  That leaves Hargrove, Thames, Hughes, Kramer and maybe Cisse.  Add Medley and Vice.  Plus an injured Rivera.  That's half a full roster.  

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I don't understand the logic of sitting Yuri in the Northern Iowa game if the whole issue was some sort of potential NIL deal elsewhere.  He was still with us.  Still on the roster. Seems an odd 'punishment' to the entire team if that was it.  His body of work in the NIT would not have changed those circumstances.

Jumping ahead, this team and Ford will face huge issues moving forward.  Perkins, Okoro, Forrester and Pickett are all done.  No doubts there.  Yuri could go pro or enter the NIL portal again as well.  Thatch might be done given his accumulation of degrees.  Jimerson will most certainly be a hot commodity.  Ditto Parker if he goes off this season.  That leaves Hargrove, Thames, Hughes, Kramer and maybe Cisse.  Add Medley and Vice.  Plus an injured Rivera.  That's half a full roster.  

When we have lots of minutes to offer, we get really good players.  The players being pushed out at P6s to make room for the guys moving up have to go somewhere.  I have no concern there.  The issue is how long do you keep these squads together in the era of NIL poaching.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When we have lots of minutes to offer, we get really good players.  The players being pushed out at P6s to make room for the guys moving up have to go somewhere.  I have no concern there.  The issue is how long do you keep these squads together in the era of NIL poaching.

You better have some NIL dollars to go along with your minutes to get those really good players. 

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

In the words of George Allen, Coach of the Over the Hill Gang, then Washington Redskins:  "The future is now."

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's not like the guy being pushed out of the Big Ten who's averaging 3 ppg has a lot of options.

So it becomes a question of how good is this player averaging 3 ppg ? Seems to me you are relegating yourself to mediocrity  hoping to get lucky. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

So you think Bess and Okoro were luck?  I call it good recruiting.

Good recruiting  Yes but also some luck. Would either one had wanted to leave it they were getting some NIL money at their original schools? Both schools wanted to keep them. Minutes are nice but you better have some dollars also. 

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

i assumed it wasnt a punishment it was the slu athletic department playing it safe not knowing how the ncaa would react if slu was deemed to be just as involved in some sort of bidding war or something.   unfortunate timing is my guess.  

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i assumed it wasnt a punishment it was the slu athletic department playing it safe not knowing how the ncaa would react if slu was deemed to be just as involved in some sort of bidding war or something.   unfortunate timing is my guess.  

Or it could have been Yuri's people telling him to sit and not risk an injury in a second level tournament.

Old guy and Billikenbooster like this

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Or it could have been Yuri's people telling him to sit and not risk an injury in a second level tournament.

-I also agree, I don't think CFord made DNP decision

-as Torch mentioned, will be interesting to see if this happens again, my gosh he has all kinds of leverage if he wants to use it

6 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-I also agree, I don't think CFord made DNP decision

-as Torch mentioned, will be interesting to see if this happens again, my gosh he has all kinds of leverage if he wants to use it

I am proceeding with the (personal) guess that this is Collins' last year at SLU.  Hopefully he will have his degree in hand come May  If he wants to play for $$, anywhere, he would need to pursue that option sooner than later.  I think Yuri is 21 now, and would be 22 next basketball season.  Time is ripe for him to start making some coin. 

I could be 100% wrong on this.  Maybe he wants a 5th year. If so, that would be great.  I'm not thinking sitting will happen again.  You don't sit our a March Madness game for any reason, except a legitimate injury.

willie and Old guy like this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I am proceeding with the (personal) guess that this is Collins' last year at SLU.  Hopefully he will have his degree in hand come May  If he wants to play for $$, anywhere, he would need to pursue that option sooner than later.  I think Yuri is 21 now, and would be 22 next basketball season.  Time is ripe for him to start making some coin. 

I could be 100% wrong on this.  Maybe he wants a 5th year. If so, that would be great.  I'm not thinking it will happen again.  You don't sit our a March Madness game for any reason, except a legitimate injury.

-I have the same feeling

9 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

Elliot Welmer. I checked though and he was only 4 years. I did like him. It’s a shame he just wasn’t going to get healthy enough. 

He only played a full season for one of those years lol. He did a few games in another season, but was always injured.