GDT: UMSL Exhibition

HoosierPal

Any D1 team that had a backup PG that can cover effectively for their starter has a luxury option. Good PGs are rare and will normally find a starting role somewhere. Point being, as Taj Mahal 79 pointed out, we’re probably with the majority of teams in all of D1. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I totally agree.  I just don't think that concern should be based on a few minutes of time that Thatch was at PG during the UMSL game when we were clearly trying to force the ball inside to get our bigs some work.  If you were concerned about it before Monday, or not, Monday should not have done much for your opinion.

I think most of us that have expressed concern were also concerned about it last year, when our offense ground to a stop any time Yuri was out of the game.  Or when we got stomped on our own floor vs Northern Iowa in the NIT when Yuri didn’t play.  Hopefully with the return of Perkins, addition of Parker, and further development of Jimerson, our offense won’t be quite as reliant on Yuri’s playmaking.  We’ve definitely got some guys who can create their own offense. 

SLU_Nick likes this

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I think most of us that have expressed concern were also concerned about it last year, when our offense ground to a stop any time Yuri was out of the game.  Or when we got stomped on our own floor vs Northern Iowa in the NIT when Yuri didn’t play.  Hopefully with the return of Perkins, addition of Parker, and further development of Jimerson, our offense won’t be quite as reliant on Yuri’s playmaking.  We’ve definitely got some guys who can create their own offense. 

Our offense doesn't exactly run well with Yuri either. I honestly think he's a great passer, but sometimes I question his ability as a conductor of the offense.

35 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Our offense doesn't exactly run well with Yuri either. I honestly think he's a great passer, but sometimes I question his ability as a conductor of the offense.

I think he definitely tries to do too much at times.  And lack of knockdown shooters outside of Jimerson last year really clogged things up in the middle, where Yuri thrives.  Hopefully having some more shooters on the floor opens things up a little bit.  

we also have struggled in the half court over the past few years, while looking very good when we run.  Too many times Yuri was dribbling around for 20 seconds only for us to have to force something with the shot clock expiring.

Our roster construction just seems to work better when we play in transition.  Teams will obviously try to slow us down, so I hope we see some more pressing this year.  We have the athletes and the depth to really play quickly. 

billiken_roy likes this

22 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Yes.  I was one of those expressing concern.  I thought that we should have picked up a grad transfer PG.  My concern hasn't changed based on what I saw on Monday.  I'm still hopeful that Thatch can be effective in that role.

23 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Prime example is watching him try to run a high PnR with Okoro against a team that is clearly playing zone defense.  Some of that might be on Ford, but I expect a PG as well regarded as Yuri to be smarter than that.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yes.  I was one of those expressing concern.  I thought that we should have picked up a grad transfer PG.  My concern hasn't changed based on what I saw on Monday.  I'm still hopeful that Thatch can be effective in that role.

I hate to harp on it, but Phil Russell would’ve been such a good fit on last year’s and this year’s teams.  Can’t blame him for seeking out more PT though. 

23 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I hate to harp on it, but Phil Russell would’ve been such a good fit on last year’s and this year’s teams.  Can’t blame him for seeking out more PT though. 

I also think Demarius Jacobs would have been nice to have around for one more year, but I understand him seeking greener pastures. His departure wouldn't have been a big deal, but the Perkins injury put added pressure on every position last year and tested our depth.

AGB91 likes this

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I’m not concerned at all. I think people are forgetting how good Perkins is at creating his own shot. Thatch may be the point guard when Collins is out, but Perkins is going to control the ball in the half court.

Don’t stress out about the backup point guard, either we won’t need it or it will be a mess. I like Thatch and our guys, just hard to replace Yuri. I don’t know why Travis doesn’t always have two or even three PGs on the team. Why not an offer to Rob Martin, etc. It is probably just harder to recruit than we think. 

10 hours ago, wgstl said:

I’ve solved it. 

yuri doesn’t play until 6 min in, that way he finishes out every game. 

It is not that crazy of an idea. We could start off with a really mean defensive approach. Focus on throwing off the other team. Then boom! Also, as much as we worry about the backup point guard, the job will be: 1) get the ball across the half court line, 2) get the ball to Perkins/Parker/Gibson off a screen, and 3) return to (2) if we get an offensive rebound.

24 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yuri was not the starting PG in the UMSL game, I think Thames was. Not sure how long he played but at the very beginning of the game UMSL was, I believe 4 pts to 0 for SLU.

Incorrect.

https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/archived.php?id=428237&view=YmFza2V0YmFsbC9zYi5iYmdhbWUucHJpbnQuZXh0cHhwMS54c2w=

14 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Don’t stress out about the backup point guard, either we won’t need it or it will be a mess. I like Thatch and our guys, just hard to replace Yuri. I don’t know why Travis doesn’t always have two or even three PGs on the team. Why not an offer to Rob Martin, etc. It is probably just harder to recruit than we think. 

Read Taj Mahal's post on PG's in the A10. Not many, if any, of our conference opponents have really capable backup PG's. UD's gonna be struggleing to fill in for Smith. If Loyer goes down, then Davidson will probably struggle as well. I choose not to bring up the dreaded I word where Yurimania is concerned.