Rivera Out for the Year

HoosierPal

A lot of you people ignore the fact that significant injuries like an ACL tear just do not heal quickly in all cases. You also ignore the fact that the injury and its recovery period may produce a weakening of the involved limb which increases the probability of additional injury.  This means that the player should start the season playing at a lower level than he is capable of, and not push himself too hard early on. He needs to increase his play level gradually. If the player tries to start again playing at full capacity from the very beginning of the season's practices, additional injuries are likely to occur.

Last season Perkins did himself in at an exhibition game, probably trying to push himself to the limit. This season he has already injured himself and been placed out of play before the beginning of the season. This is not a favorable start of the season for Perkins, I think he needs to take it easy until he is ready to play at full steam.

Too bad for Rivera, I hope the surgery results in complete healing of the injury.

I am going to be Mr. Positive here. I hereby hypothesize that Rivera’s foot issue was not a secret, thereby keeping him largely un-recruited.  
   We have more than enough depth to compensate for his absence this year.  Foot surgery requires a long, gradual rehab process (no Welmer.2).   Hopefully he will return intact foot wise next year, when we will have greater need for his skill set.  

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

I am going to be Mr. Positive here. I hereby hypothesize that Rivera’s foot issue was not a secret, thereby keeping him largely un-recruited.  
   We have more than enough depth to compensate for his absence this year.  Foot surgery requires a long, gradual rehab process (no Welmer.2).   Hopefully he will return intact foot wise next year, when we will have greater need for his skill set.  

maybe + I assume he gets another year

1 hour ago, SLUMS81 said:

I was kinda thinking this was no secret. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My guess would be with Perkins the staff has got him a handle with care label. Why take a chance at this point when we’re gonna need him in less than 30 days? No reason to aggravate an ankle injury that could hamper him the whole season. Get well, Perk. 

Agreed.  Gotta save him for that Paul Quinn game. 

thunderdan likes this

27 minutes ago, willie said:

My totally uneducated guess is we won't see him on Monday. 

Even if the ankle wasn't an issue, considering what happened in last year's exhibition, I anticipated that Perkins wouldn't play in this year's exhibition game. It's not worth it.