Lindenwood

mrjoelabs

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

They are playing every regional team almost, except us and MO State.  I hope playing them can become a regular series. Exciting to have a crosstown D1 rivalry. 

Chris May should set it up.

SLU has a crosstown D1 rival on the schedule - SIUE.

Lindenwood is not playing SIUC this year.

They haven’t even played a game at the D1 level yet, chill. What’s the obsession with the school, and why do we care about playing them right away like we have to be first.

It’s not like I’m racing to play one of the worst teams in basketball just because they’re closer.

2 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Would it be any worse for SOS then some of the other cupcakes we play? 

KenPom 2022-23, which is only an analytical predictive model at this point in time,  has Lindenwood at 348.  Evansville, who is picked to finish last in the Valley, is 337.  So yeah, that would be a push.  Deep Q4 games.

And Paul Quinn, don't even go there.  All I ask is Why?  Harris Stowe last year and PQ this year.  No. Scrimmages and Exhibition games would be fine with those teams.  Don't put them on the OOC schedule.  I don't care if Cisse, Kramer, Hughes, Rivera, Jones and Evans all get double digit minutes. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And Paul Quinn, don't even go there.  All I ask is Why?  Harris Stowe last year and PQ this year.  No. Scrimmages and Exhibition games would be fine with those teams.  

The PQ game is more for recruiting, the head coach for PQ runs an AAU team in Dallas that im sure Phil Forte wants to get asserted into, also is the director for EYBL. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Fine.  Don't care.  Play them in an exhibition then.

It practically is. Game doesn't count either way.  And further more, the timing is perfect.  It comes off 3 games in 6 days, if we need to rest anyone we can without the slightest hesitation.  And its a free practice for our game at Auburn a few days later. 

billikenfan05, kshoe and dlarry like this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

KenPom 2022-23, which is only an analytical predictive model at this point in time,  has Lindenwood at 348.  Evansville, who is picked to finish last in the Valley, is 337.  So yeah, that would be a push.  Deep Q4 games.

And Paul Quinn, don't even go there.  All I ask is Why?  Harris Stowe last year and PQ this year.  No. Scrimmages and Exhibition games would be fine with those teams.  Don't put them on the OOC schedule.  I don't care if Cisse, Kramer, Hughes, Rivera, Jones and Evans all get double digit minutes. 

Paul Quinn doesn't damage your SOS. 

I think Paul Quinn was in response to a big name home/home the program believed they had lined up falling apart at the last minute.  With no good options with D1 opponents that wouldn't hurt our SOS, the staff went with an option that wouldn't impact SOS and has the potential to help with recruiting long term.  

RUBillsFan likes this

If this is your first year playing D1 as a team, there is no reason to expect to be ranked preseason over the very bottom of the field. It is only by playing and winning that the ranking will improve for Lindenwood. Nothing new about this, no need to play them this year either,

• 1 year later...

Given all the news of financial struggles at Webster, Fontbonne, Maryville, and Harris Stowe - they’re lucky if this is all they are having to cut at Lindenwood.  LU is probably in a much better position long-term than any other schools in the area (minus WashU and SLU).

AGB91 likes this

12 hours ago, ARon said:

Given all the news of financial struggles at Webster, Fontbonne, Maryville, and Harris Stowe - they’re lucky if this is all they are having to cut at Lindenwood.  LU is probably in a much better position long-term than any other schools in the area (minus WashU and SLU).

A lot of small private schools across the country are suffering financially due to rising costs and declining enrollments.  This week, the College of St. Rose in Albany, NY announced that they would be closing at the end of the Spring 2024 semester.  That’s just one of many that have already closed or announced closing.  There will likely be many more to come.  As you indicate, Lindenwood seems to be in much better financial shape than many others.

18 hours ago, ARon said:

Don't think this is about financial struggles as it is just basic cost analysis. All of these sports are off campus or no spectator value except for MLAX and Men's T&F which were likely cut for Title IX purposes. Kind of an odd choice to hold on to Women's T&F in that position, but maybe they felt competing in Track was more viable than FH given the on campus facility. Swimming and Diving was surprising but they compete at Rec Plex. Field Hockey is at Sport Port.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Don't think this is about financial struggles as it is just basic cost analysis. All of these sports are off campus or no spectator value except for MLAX and Men's T&F which were likely cut for Title IX purposes. Kind of an odd choice to hold on to Women's T&F in that position, but maybe they felt competing in Track was more viable than FH given the on campus facility. Swimming and Diving was surprising but they compete at Rec Plex. Field Hockey is at Sport Port.

If you've ever looked at the full offerings at LU, spectator attendance looks to have been the last thing they've cared about in the past.  Perhaps now that needs to change with a D1 hockey team to pay for.

Just now, ARon said:

If you've ever looked at the full offerings at LU, spectator attendance looks to have been the last thing they've cared about in the past.  Perhaps now that needs to change with a D1 hockey team to pay for.

Correct, international athletes in Olympic sports and commuter students was their strategy for enrollment.

Aligning their D-I sports offerings with those sponsored by the OVC, except for hockey, may have been a factor. It looks like the OVC doesn't sponsor any of the sports that are being cut except for men's indoor and outdoor track. I can see how belonging to different conferences as an affiliate member for each non-OVC sport - lacrosse, field hockey, swimming, wrestling, men's tennis, cycling, etc... - could complicate things and require additional coordination and staff.

billikenfan05 likes this