Minor Injury News - Bumps and Bruises

HoosierPal

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/travis-ford-showing-increased-intensity-as-slu-mens-basketball-faces-high-expectations/article_e29099d5-f9e7-50d1-916d-a35a25d78c0b.html

There have been some bumps and bruises and twists in the early going. Javonte Perkins twisted an ankle and has missed a few days of practice but has been otherwise healthy. Daniel Rivera has missed a stretch of practice and has been wearing a boot.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

You can’t avoid them. Hopefully, they are minor. 

I don't understand how these guys get injured all of the time. I never twisted an ankle or tore an ACL when I was in my teens and early 20s. Are they really that soft?!

--A guy that has never put his body in a physically demanding situation or played sports at a high level

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I don't understand how these guys get injured all of the time. I never twisted an ankle or tore an ACL when I was in my teens and early 20s. Are they really that soft?!

--A guy that has never put his body in a physically demanding situation or played sports at a high level

No you're right. I play a lot of golf, never an issue.  

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know. I can remember making some pretty athletic plays during beer pong and washers. Hard to avoid injuries when you go all out.

Not when you make all your shots.. 

In the modern sports era of strength conditioning there does seem to be a lot more injuries than in the old days, say up until the mid 70’s when strength and conditioning coaches came to dominate the scene. I can’t recall injuries being so frequent in the sports world from when I started following sports in the late 50’s until about the mid to late 70’s when the injury count seemed to rise. Were the pre modern era athletes just tougher, or is it the result of our athletes getting stronger and faster causing more high impact injuries? I don’t have an answer, but it does make one wonder if all this work in the weight room is a contributing factor to making todays athletes more fragile.  

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

In the modern sports era of strength conditioning there does seem to be a lot more injuries than in the old days, say up until the mid 70’s when strength and conditioning coaches came to dominate the scene. I can’t recall injuries being so frequent in the sports world from when I started following sports in the late 50’s until about the mid to late 70’s when the injury count seemed to rise. Were the pre modern era athletes just tougher, or is it the result of our athletes getting stronger and faster causing more high impact injuries? I don’t have an answer, but it does make one wonder if all this work in the weight room is a contributing factor to making todays athletes more fragile.  

Does weight training cause more joint damage over time?  I love to see a study on this because the anecdotal evidence appears to be yes.

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Does weight training cause more joint damage over time?  I love to see a study on this because the anecdotal evidence appears to be yes.

I wondered if that could have been a factor in Javonte's injury last year. They talked a lot in the offseason about how he put in a lot of muscle. I'm not old guy, but I play one on tv, and I can't help but think the added weight could have put added stress on Perk's knees. It seems to me not everyone's body's is equipped to add a lot of bulk. I think sometimes it's best to let those wiry skilled athletes alone.  

One sport that does keep stats is MLB. If all this conditioning helped athletes stay in better shape and perform better, one stat you would think it would show up under would be the number of innings a pitcher pitched. In 1972 (when most of the players would have said they had no idea what you were talking about if you asked them about weight training and conditioning), there were 52 players who pitched over 200 innings that season, 4 of them over 300 innings. In 2002, it was 42 players who pitched that much. In 2012, it was 30. This year, only 8 players pitched over 200 innings. And now, every team has dedicated weight rooms and training staff, when back in 1972 none of them did.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It sounds logical that high weight, which is not the same as weight training, will cause increased joint damage, particularly in people with an already existing diagnosis of arthritis. What I am sure about is that the CFR for Social Security disability had a ruling that declared people with articular disease (arthritis) and weight above a certain level (I think it was listed as a BMI figure) qualified for total disability. I am not sure if this ruling is still in place or not, but it was there for a long time.

This SS Disability ruling applies to an existing diagnosis of arthritis in combination of a high weight, it has nothing to do with muscular ability or development (ie weight training). Indeed obese old people with poor muscular strength may develop more weight related damage to the joints than muscular athletes will. So this is not to be taken as pointing a finger to weight training and injuries on my part. Indeed look at professional football and you will find any number of defensive players with very high weight and conditioning that are NOT disabled in any way and appear to tolerate all kinds of tackles and collisions without apparent injury.

I'd say the jury is still out in this regard.