OT: F*** Draymond Green

I've hated him since he was in East Lansing and he's never been given enough credit for being the POS that he is on the court. 

Imagine doing this to your own teammate???? What do we think is the minimum punishment here? I think a lengthy unpaid suspension away from all team activities is the bare minimum. Doesn't matter what Poole could've possibly said, DG is totally to blame here. 

JMM28 likes this

I dislike Green a lot.  He got away with what should have been a flagrant elbow to Cody Ellis & Michigan St bounced what was probably SLU's best chance at a deep NCAA run.

That being said, I'd guess this kind of stuff happens more often during training camp / practice than people realize.  It probably happened more frequently in the past when there wasn't as much media attention / cameras everywhere.  There is the famous story of MJ punching Steve Kerr.  Locally there is a story of Cardinals players Chris Carpenter and (I think) Brendan Ryan getting into a fight with one of them ending up with a black eye which they blamed on a "luggage accident".

16 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

How much does Draymond weigh? He might have a future in MMA once he retires from basketball

6'6" 230 to Poole's 6'4" 195. 

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The problem with Draymond is that he seeks out fights and programs at every level have looked the other way.

Exactly. Repeat offenders don't get the same privileges and Draymond has always proven to be a POS. 

I remember Grandy Glaze trying to fight Crews in a practice years ago?? I remember the quote being "I f*cking OWN you!" with a clenched raised fist, something along those lines. He was gone after that right? I don't know why a washed Draymond gets a 49th chance, off with his head IMO. 

I don’t really watch the NBA or follow D. Green, but I always thought he came across intelligently. Similar to Barkley or Rodman. A smart bruiser that balances the physical and mental very well, and makes up for his size.

That video basically destroys that image. That will lose him a lot of money. Might lose them some games. Certainly, a ref who sees that won’t give him the same slack when someone says he is playing dirty.

3 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t really watch the NBA or follow D. Green, but I always thought he came across intelligently. Similar to Barkley or Rodman. A smart bruiser that balances the physical and mental very well, and makes up for his size.

That video basically destroys that image. That will lose him a lot of money. Might lose them some games. Certainly, a ref who sees that won’t give him the same slack when someone says he is playing dirty.

that's what I've seen of him too.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I saw Kevin Lisch judo toss Dustin Maguire in practice.  I guarantee you every basketball program has had a fight at some point.  The problem with Draymond is that he seeks out fights and programs at every level have looked the other way.

There is also a difference between guys squaring up and sucker punching a teammate like that. Definitely some scuffles when I was a student manager, but nothing remotely close to that.

I didn't see any sucker punches.  In a real fight there is no squaring off.

My POV Poole and Green had been talking all practice.  They are still talking but Poole isn't making eye contact.  Disrespectful.  Green gets in his face, Poole pushes him forcefully.  Green knocks him out.  Pretty clear to me.  Put hands on somebody doesn't result in a pushing match, not with Draymond Green.  Poole should have come to fight.

I love Green as a player.  I think he is a HOFer and a top 5 defensive player of all time.

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

My POV Poole and Green had been talking all practice.  They are still talking but Poole isn't making eye contact.  Disrespectful.  Green gets in his face, Poole pushes him forcefully.  Green knocks him out.  Pretty clear to me.  Put hands on somebody doesn't result in a pushing match, not with Draymond Green.  Poole should have come to fight.

I love Green as a player.  I think he is a HOFer and a top 5 defensive player of all time.

When your much bigger teammate gets in your face, what is the appropriate response?  Are you really saying that the correct response is to slug him first?  You're teammates, not enemies.  

TheChosenOne likes this

31 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When your much bigger teammate gets in your face, what is the appropriate response?  Are you really saying that the correct response is to slug him first?  You're teammates, not enemies.  

Its the NBA, they are all big.  Poole isn't small by any means.  Green wasn't beating up Spud Webb.

Probably smart not to taunt a fellow player known for being aggressive and violent if you don't want to have an altercation with him.  Also not smart to avoid eye contact while you are MFing him.

So Poole was justified in pushing him?

Teams have fights.  He didn't have his back to him, he wasn't walking away.

Notice the players and coaches around them.  No reaction to any of it until Poole gets dropped.  Looked to me like it was business as usual until Poole escalated it and then took a nap.

I got into a few practice scrapes and a couple in games.  What do you think happens?  A boxing ring floats down from the sky with gloves and headgear for the guys to wear?  If you think you need to square off to fight, please don't get into any fights.  You are going to lose and get hurt badly.

If Green didn't KO him and the fight continued are we having this conversation?  If they exchanged punches it isn't a story.  Green is only getting punished because Poole couldn't take a punch.

Poole's appropriate response was to apologize and run as fast toward Steph Curry as he could.  

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Its the NBA, they are all big.  Poole isn't small by any means.  Green wasn't beating up Spud Webb.

Probably smart not to taunt a fellow player known for being aggressive and violent if you don't want to have an altercation with him.  Also not smart to avoid eye contact while you are MFing him.

So Poole was justified in pushing him?

Teams have fights.  He didn't have his back to him, he wasn't walking away.

Notice the players and coaches around them.  No reaction to any of it until Poole gets dropped.  Looked to me like it was business as usual until Poole escalated it and then took a nap.

I got into a few practice scrapes and a couple in games.  What do you think happens?  A boxing ring floats down from the sky with gloves and headgear for the guys to wear?  If you think you need to square off to fight, please don't get into any fights.  You are going to lose and get hurt badly.

If Green didn't KO him and the fight continued are we having this conversation?  If they exchanged punches it isn't a story.  Green is only getting punished because Poole couldn't take a punch.

Poole's appropriate response was to apologize and run as fast toward Steph Curry as he could.  

Got it.

Littlebill likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Got it.

Being violent and aggressive is a valuable commodity on teams.  You have to know your role.  Why rattle the cage?  Also you can't act like a tough guy and then expect to not be tough.

Think John Starks trash talked Charles Oakley much?  Joe Dumars talk s to Rick Mahorn.  Of course not.

18 hours ago, thetorch said:

I don't know if it's right to jump right to this being disrespectful. Could be a couple things: could be just tired of hearing Draymond, could be an aversion to eye contact trying to avoid escalation? I haven't heard any audio if there is any.

22 hours ago, thetorch said:

Being violent and aggressive is a valuable commodity on teams.  You have to know your role.  Why rattle the cage?  Also you can't act like a tough guy and then expect to not be tough.

Think John Starks trash talked Charles Oakley much?  Joe Dumars talk s to Rick Mahorn.  Of course not.

You're joking right?

Draymond and players like him do the work that nobody else wants to do and takes the heat when something bad goes down.  It is a lot harder to be the villain than the hero. If these guys were useless how come the big stars retire before 35 and Kendrick Perkins and Udonis Haslem play until they are 40+.  The fact that the Warriors are even having the conversation ie who to keep in his prime Poole or washed Draymond speaks volumes.

If we had somebody like Draymond on last year's team do you think Jimerson would get bloodied every time he ran across the lane on a cut?  Probably not.

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Draymond and players like him do the work that nobody else wants to do and takes the heat when something bad goes down.  It is a lot harder to be the villain than the hero. If these guys were useless how come the big stars retire before 35 and Kendrick Perkins and Udonis Haslem play until they are 40+.  The fact that the Warriors are even having the conversation ie who to keep in his prime Poole or washed Draymond speaks volumes.

If we had somebody like Draymond on last year's team do you think Jimerson would get bloodied every time he ran across the lane on a cut?  Probably not.

-this is interesting - my words: enforcer and protect  - what would our enforcer have done to protect GibJim and the others that wouldn't be bad for the team? there is an art to being a dirty or hard or whatever player and not getting caught that few can accomplish especially in this age of video reviews and when they get caught the results are not good for the team

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

We did have someone like Draymond on the roster. He’s at Hampton now.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, Cowboy II said:

-this is interesting - my words: enforcer and protect  - what would our enforcer have done to protect GibJim and the others that wouldn't be bad for the team? there is an art to being a dirty or hard or whatever player and not getting caught that few can accomplish especially in this age of video reviews and when they get caught the results are not good for the team

Lay them out in the middle of the floor with a screen, then score an and-1 on the other end.

"You wanna play rough? Let's play rough!"

I would take Draymond Greene on my team any day over Poole.  If Draymond was a bad guy or a team cancer it would eventually lead to his team cratering at some point, but all the teams just win.  That has been the case at the high school, college and pro level.  

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I would take Draymond Greene on my team any day over Poole.  If Draymond was a bad guy or a team cancer it would eventually lead to his team cratering at some point, but all the teams just win.  That has been the case at the high school, college and pro level.  

today, yes.   long run, i dont know.  poole appears to be a future star.  poole needs to learn to deal with green's intensity and live with it.   

Not even today. Poole is already more valuable to that team than Draymond is today. 

We have no idea what Poole said, and without knowing, Draymond's history is enough to believe that he was at fault here. Overreacting to a minor comment maybe. Poole's body language gives me the impression he didn't deserve that reaction.